The Student Room Group

UCL change of course after getting an offer

Hey everyone! Hope your applications are going well. I received an offer from UCL to do MSc Biochem for 4 years. However since sending out my UCAS I thought that doing a 3 year BSc would be better for me. Do you think I can email them to ask to change the course from MSc to BSc Biochem after receiving an offer? Would they accept that or would they withdraw my offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JellyfishThunder
Hey everyone! Hope your applications are going well. I received an offer from UCL to do MSc Biochem for 4 years. However since sending out my UCAS I thought that doing a 3 year BSc would be better for me. Do you think I can email them to ask to change the course from MSc to BSc Biochem after receiving an offer? Would they accept that or would they withdraw my offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They shouldn't take your offer away
Reply 2
Most BSc and MSc courses are identical in the first year and usually the second so students on both courses are in the same classes, so it won't make any difference until year 3. The options are usually there to move up or down depending on your grades so there is no reason to think that they won't let you change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're sure about it then just email them - they won't withdraw your offer. I wouldn't recommend changing the course though because it's generally easier to switch from a BSc to an MSci than vice versa.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably best to leave it as it is. You can still make the change later when at UCL, and you never know you might change your mind again in the meantime.

It's easier to go from 4 years down to 3, than 3 back up to 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you think the BSc would be better for you?
Original post by ageshallnot
Why do you think the BSc would be better for you?

Because I was thinking of getting a Masters in Management/Strategy. On this note, what is the difference between doing a BSc or MSc, as in what do you get out of each at the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Probably best to leave it as it is. You can still make the change later when at UCL, and you never know you might change your mind again in the meantime.

It's easier to go from 4 years down to 3, than 3 back up to 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is the difference between doing a BSc or MSc, as in what do you get out of each at the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because I was thinking of getting a Masters in Management/Strategy. On this note, what is the difference between doing a BSc or MSc, as in what do you get out of each at the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You still could. The MSci is still an undergraduate degree, though there is an extra year of costs to take into account.

The MSci's extra year is focused on research, otherwise they are similar.

The department's page describing the Biochemistry courses says "Students can choose to transfer to the MSci programme between years 2 and 3 of their BSc study. 65% must be obtained in year 2 in order to progress with the MSci programme."
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/biosciences/study/undergraduate/biochemistry
You still could. The MSci is still an undergraduate degree, though there is an extra year of costs to take into account.

The MSci's extra year is focused on research, otherwise they are similar.

The department's page describing the Biochemistry courses says "Students can choose to transfer to the MSci programme between years 2 and 3 of their BSc study. 65% must be obtained in year 2 in order to progress with the MSci programme."
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/biosciences/study/undergraduate/biochemistry

But do you think I'll be able to change to BSc from MSc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But do you think I'll be able to change to BSc from MSc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The department say you can if you get 65% in your second year. Ask them to clarify any doubts you have - and also whether you can switch from the MSci to thw BSc at any point. The situation is probably that they treat those on the BSc and the MSci as the same for the first two years, then those who have the required 65% are allowed to move onto the MSci if they wish to do so. However, get clarification from the department about moving between courses.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't think you need to email them. I'm almost certain that you can downgrade to a BSc at the end of your second year at the latest as at least the first year of a BSc and an MSci are identical. Many people who started an MSci Chemistry degree with me at UCL ended up with a BSc.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The department say you can if you get 65% in your second year. Ask them to clarify any doubts you have - and also whether you can switch from the MSci to thw BSc at any point. The situation is probably that they treat those on the BSc and the MSci as the same for the first two years, then those who have the required 65% are allowed to move onto the MSci if they wish to do so. However, get clarification from the department about moving between courses.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending