The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys -

I remember reading a post from one of you (I think it was possibly someone's mother) was reapplying for 2016 after not getting into their choice of uni in 2015.

If any of you were resit applicants:

1a. Did you re-apply to the same university?

1b. How receptive were these universities?

2) Did you mention in your PS why you didn't achieve the grades you were expected to have met or make any reference to your past application/why you're reapplying?

3) How successful is someone likely to be upon re-applying? If you've already got lower grades than needed, and you're applying between Sep - March ie before you resit the exams, will they not just reject you?
Does anyone know if universities lower their grade requirements in clearing?
Original post by CJaneH
Does anyone know if universities lower their grade requirements in clearing?

This is one of those great urban myths - that you can get into a great Uni in Clearing with DDD - and the reality is not like this at all.

It does depend on subject and the level of Uni involved - ie. RG wont drop their requirements unless its a 'hard to fill course' like Geology or Modern Languages, and then they will only go one grade below, and for other Unis, they may have more courses up for grabs but again wont drop their grades to silly levels - again one grade below is the standard. So yes, its worth phoning about a course in Clearing if you are one grade below (ie. BBC instead of BBB) and the C isnt in the 'required subject', but they may be insisting on the full requirement.
Anyone else hoping for Durham/KCL in adjustment?
Original post by NOP97
Anyone else hoping for Durham/KCL in adjustment?

KCL was in adjustment last year for A*A*A - if it participates this year too, I doubt it'll be any different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callmeharley
Applied in October to:
Oxford - big fat rejection pre-interview, it was on the same day they started to send out interview invitations (just so you can get an idea of my reaction when I got an email from Oxford and found out that it's actually not an interview...)
UCL - rejection, probably due to the LNAT score or essay, could also be the PS
Queen Mary - offer (conditional standard - 37 and 18 HL)
LSE - offer today! (conditional standard - 38, 766 HL)
King's College - still waiting

EU (non-UK) applicant,
IB predicted grades: 43 with 776 HL (although I have history and English HL.... Virtually impossible to get 7 here)

Anybody here thinks about attending LSE open day for offer holders this April? xo

What grades did you get in GCSE?
Original post by stratagems
Hi guys -

I remember reading a post from one of you (I think it was possibly someone's mother) was reapplying for 2016 after not getting into their choice of uni in 2015.

If any of you were resit applicants:

1a. Did you re-apply to the same university?

1b. How receptive were these universities?

2) Did you mention in your PS why you didn't achieve the grades you were expected to have met or make any reference to your past application/why you're reapplying?

3) How successful is someone likely to be upon re-applying? If you've already got lower grades than needed, and you're applying between Sep - March ie before you resit the exams, will they not just reject you?

Hi
I think it may be me. My son after not making his offer for LSE in 2015 reapplied and got another offer. He took another A level in one year and resat a module in history and one in physics. He exceeded his offer this year. Understand there is a risk but he would say, it's worth it. Also he had extenuating circumstances as he sat his exams on the anniversary of his dad's death. Good luck🍀
Original post by Cholesta
Hi
I think it may be me. My son after not making his offer for LSE in 2015 reapplied and got another offer. He took another A level in one year and resat a module in history and one in physics. He exceeded his offer this year. Understand there is a risk but he would say, it's worth it. Also he had extenuating circumstances as he sat his exams on the anniversary of his dad's death. Good luck🍀

Congrats Cholesta!!!

Best wishes to both him and you :smile:
Original post by *Stefan*
Congrats Cholesta!!!

Best wishes to both him and you :smile:

Awk thanks, Stefan. He loved Bristol too and it was a hard decision.
Congrats for making it. Your son deserves the best possible outcome.

Regrettably I couldn't make it to SOAS, UCL, QMUL, LSE & KCL (as my LSE ugaa score was low) and LNAT wasn't good either. After some deliberation between Birkbeck (aka BBK), BPP and U. of Law, I finally went for BBK on the advice of well regarded lawyers whom I managed to PM through Linkedin for advice and so far enjoying it (teaching and research excellent, but administration could do much better). Teaching is in the evenings 6-9 pm (which probably explains the large present of mature students) so I spend the day catching up with studies in the library or do limited hours of day job (which is much more easier to find instead of being forced to take ad hoc bar job in unsociable hours, which is a plus point). It is an interesting place especially where there are many mature students with diverse experiences (one of the fellow students is a diplomat/ambassador studying law and the other is an army brigadier on 3 years study leave). There seems to be an added focus on the legal philosophy and contextualisation of law, I've got to say.
As for the career side, unlike KCL or UCL etc., there isn't much focus or connections with the city law firms, nor the city.commercial law firms seems to be much interested in visiting/targeting BBK, despite BBK being among the top 20 law schools. However there do seem to be a good link with the Bar and commercial set of chambers, which isn't surprising as some teaching faculty members are barristers/and or visiting high court judges. Also the law school organises and encourages students to participate in the mooting competition, internally and externally.

I was also advised to take a year out and reapply to the likes of UCL, LSE, KCL, QMUL and SOAS but didn't want to delay or loose another year as I accepted it as my fate and destiny. World is not always a lucky place.
But I do encourage for those who want to wait another year and give it another go again to reapply to a law school of choice if time is on side instead of later coming to regretting it for not reapplying.

#Birkbeck #LSE #UCL #KCL
(edited 7 years ago)
Sent off my application on the 5th of October, and did my LNAT on the 19th of October. I have an unconditional from Warwick so far (I'm a gap year student), but I'm still waiting on Oxford, LSE, UCL, and Bristol.

As Oxford interviews for law are 7-9th December, this means we'll hear by the end of November. LSE said they'd take 'up to eight weeks' for review in an email they sent (not sure if you guys got the same one), which means we'll know by the end of December. As for the others, they might take their sweet time...
THIS IS THE THREAD FROM LAST YEAR - 2016 entry!

PLEASE STOP POSTING HERE AS NO-ONE IS GOING TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS.

Latest

Trending

Trending