The Student Room Group

How to get 3 A*'s

How does someone pull off the holy grail of 3 A*'s in A-Level, i'm studying Maths, Chem & Bio and i'll be lucky to even get B's

I am in Year 13 btw
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OfficialChemist
How does someone pull off the holy grail of 3 A*'s in A-Level, i'm studying Maths, Chem & Bio and i'll be lucky to even get B's

I take the same a level and want to know to so please tag me into the answer
Original post by TheYearNiner
I take the same a level and want to know to so please tag me into the answer

Use anki :wink: it's free (and open source ?) flash card manager http://ankisrs.net
What year are you in? this is kinda important.
Original post by an_atheist
What year are you in? this is kinda important.

Year 13
Year 13

What was your maths AS UMS?
For chem and bio just practise answering questions and keep going over te content.
What was your maths AS UMS?
For chem and bio just practise answering questions and keep going over te content.

My AS maths ums was 272/300, and yeah that's good advice tbh
My AS maths ums was 272/300, and yeah that's good advice tbh

To get the A* in maths you need to get 180 UMS in C3/C4, and get 208 UMS in total (this year). With maths revison is really simple;you do every past paper you can find.
To get the A* in maths you need to get 180 UMS in C3/C4, and get 208 UMS in total (this year). With maths revison is really simple;you do every past paper you can find.

That's gona be a mission and a half tbh but ima try my best, also would you know how to pull off bio and chem as they're linear, so we have AS elements this year too.
That's gona be a mission and a half tbh but ima try my best, also would you know how to pull off bio and chem as they're linear, so we have AS elements this year too.

Find a study buddy, get any revision guides that your exam board publishes. Practise everything, do as many past papers as you can. Really the only way to pull up the grades at this point is to practise everything.
For new style chemistry I found the best method is to make lots of flashcards and look at the old spec past papers. They always want you to use very specific language in your answers so keep an eye on that when you're doing past papers 😉

Good luck!!
Original post by Christie_xx
For new style chemistry I found the best method is to make lots of flashcards and look at the old spec past papers. They always want you to use very specific language in your answers so keep an eye on that when you're doing past papers 😉

Good luck!!

Thanks, that's the plan tbh, do all past papers then save the specimen papers till closer to exam time!
Thanks, that's the plan tbh, do all past papers then save the specimen papers till closer to exam time!

Yep, same here 😉 I'm sure you'll do amazing 😝
Yep, same here 😉 I'm sure you'll do amazing 😝

Hopefully lol, are you in year 13?
Having done some asking around about this, less than 3% of people studying for 3 A Levels actually achieve 3 A*s, so don't be too hard on yourselves!
Hey mate I'm year 13 as well. Can I ask what degree of course are you going to apply this year? I am thinking between MEng or BEng but still cannot make a decision yet.
Can anyone give advice on biology psychology and sociology how to get 3 A*'s
Hopefully lol, are you in year 13?

Yeah I am ahaha, I'm hoping to get 3 A*s too! How have you been finding yr 13 so far?
Yeah I am ahaha, I'm hoping to get 3 A*s too! How have you been finding yr 13 so far?

Lol good luck, it's defos a step up from AS so i've been tryna work proportionally as hard, what subjects are u taking and what exam boards?
Lol good luck, it's defos a step up from AS so i've been tryna work proportionally as hard, what subjects are u taking and what exam boards?

Maths, Further Maths, Economics (all OCR) and Chemistry (AQA)

How about you?😄

Quick Reply

Latest