The Student Room Group

Trump does not have the majority

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yudothis

Though I must be cheeky and say the Germans thought they could control Hitler when they made him Chancellor in 1933 :wink:

[video="youtube;0QrHoMDDWq4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrHoMDDWq4[/video]
Original post by da_nolo
poorer? what do you mean by this; less money put into it or overal grade ?

Overall quality.

Road maintenance quality is low by western European standards. Correspondingly whilst the highest speed limits are similar, average speed limits in the USA are significantly lower. That is important when it comes to rejuvenating depressed towns. It reduces the sensible commuting range.

Although the US pours millions of dollars every year into an almost irrelevant long distance train service, few American cities have viable metro systems, commuter rail networks and inter-urban rail systems.

US airports are virtually all municipally owned, and have poor facilities by international standards. In international ratings the top US airport (Denver) is 28th. Immigration lines at the country's principal international gateway, JFK, have been legendary for 40 years. There are an inadequate number of security lines at most airports and waiting times are getting longer, yet the USA still does not reconcile domestic passengers and their checked baggage. Most of the world is moving to a model of privately owned airports (China is the latest to do so); but the USA is still wedded to regional local government owned monopolies.

There are insufficient incentives to redevelop urban property in many cities leading to a doughnut effect where downtown cores spiral downwards and developers build on edge of town greenfield sites. This phenomenon has been known for 30-40 years yet little has been down to address this through zoning, municipal taxes etc.

Ultimately Trump is a property and hotel man and this is an area he understands; bringing wealth (and employing people) by investment in physical infrastructure.

Bear in mind incoming tourists are exports (and along with higher education, one of the two biggest drivers in western countries of economic regeneration in post industrial areas), the USA (with the exception of Florida) massively underperforms. The USA gets about 30,000,000 non-Canadian, non-Mexican travellers a year. Over a third of these visit Florida. With one ninth of the population of the USA (and frankly much less to see and do), Canada gets 5,000,000 non-American visitors a year.
Reply 62
Original post by FaceofAnonymity

People actually watch that?
Original post by yudothis
People actually watch that?

I heard there was an average low attention span on this forum.
Reply 64
Original post by FaceofAnonymity
I heard there was an average low attention span on this forum.

Yea, this isn't the place for conceited hacks.
Original post by nulli tertius
Overall quality.

Road maintenance quality is low by western European standards. Correspondingly whilst the highest speed limits are similar, average speed limits in the USA are significantly lower. That is important when it comes to rejuvenating depressed towns. It reduces the sensible commuting range.
Woe. roads are done by the state and local community - counties. Some times federal money is put into it but quality is based on the people for sure. Been to a few states myself - the worst is probably California. Otherwise, not everywhere is same quality on that.

Plus, I don't see how speed suggests poor quality. the speed limits around here are set for safety. Regardless to how fast someone goes, the highways near San Jose California will always get clogged up. Overall quantity of vehicles should be considered.

Although the US pours millions of dollars every year into an almost irrelevant long distance train service, few American cities have viable metro systems, commuter rail networks and inter-urban rail systems.

US airports are virtually all municipally owned, and have poor facilities by international standards. In international ratings the top US airport (Denver) is 28th. Immigration lines at the country's principal international gateway, JFK, have been legendary for 40 years. There are an inadequate number of security lines at most airports and waiting times are getting longer, yet the USA still does not reconcile domestic passengers and their checked baggage. Most of the world is moving to a model of privately owned airports (China is the latest to do so); but the USA is still wedded to regional local government owned monopolies.

There are insufficient incentives to redevelop urban property in many cities leading to a doughnut effect where downtown cores spiral downwards and developers build on edge of town greenfield sites. This phenomenon has been known for 30-40 years yet little has been down to address this through zoning, municipal taxes etc.

Ultimately Trump is a property and hotel man and this is an area he understands; bringing wealth (and employing people) by investment in physical infrastructure.

Bear in mind incoming tourists are exports (and along with higher education, one of the two biggest drivers in western countries of economic regeneration in post industrial areas), the USA (with the exception of Florida) massively underperforms. The USA gets about 30,000,000 non-Canadian, non-Mexican travellers a year. Over a third of these visit Florida. With one ninth of the population of the USA (and frankly much less to see and do), Canada gets 5,000,000 non-American visitors a year.

Not every city needs rail system. Bus is dependent on usage. What is population and what is percentage of population using bus system. If usage is inadequate, why have it? Again this seems to be based more on quantity rather quality.

The long distance train service sounds like speed train in california - can't control minds of the stupid.

Airports? I'll take your word on that. I don't fly much. In terms of wait times - more people. longer lines.

I would agree to the underdeveloped down town. But incentives go so far. Even where incentives exist, troubles have been looming because of crime or other unpleasantness.
Reply 66
Original post by da_nolo
Woe. roads are done by the state and local community - counties. Some times federal money is put into it but quality is based on the people for sure. Been to a few states myself - the worst is probably California. Otherwise, not everywhere is same quality on that.

Plus, I don't see how speed suggests poor quality. the speed limits around here are set for safety. Regardless to how fast someone goes, the highways near San Jose California will always get clogged up. Overall quantity of vehicles should be considered.

Not every city needs rail system. Bus is dependent on usage. What is population and what is percentage of population using bus system. If usage is inadequate, why have it? Again this seems to be based more on quantity rather quality.

The long distance train service sounds like speed train in california - can't control minds of the stupid.

Airports? I'll take your word on that. I don't fly much. In terms of wait times - more people. longer lines.

I would agree to the underdeveloped down town. But incentives go so far. Even where incentives exist, troubles have been looming because of crime or other unpleasantness.

I raise you telephone and internet. It is incredible common for more rural places in America to lose signal or even electricity, because the supply chain is old, really old, and a simple storm can **** it over.

America may be one of the most advanced countries, but there are many people missing out on that. A large proportion of schoolkids is on food stamps, etc.
It doesn't really matter how many people voted for him or Clinton. It doesn't matter the amount. He won the electoral vote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending