The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - Differentiation... Help??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notnek
tanx=sinxcosx\displaystyle \tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x}

Then use the quotient rule.

That's probably why I don't know then, because I haven't quite covered the Quotient Rule yet hahaha :tongue:
Original post by notnek
If you want help with these types then post some example questions.

First one is straight-forward once you know the product rule. Even without it, you can use chain rule to prove it.

Then for y=ln(x)ey=xy=\ln(x) \Rightarrow e^y=x and then differentiating implictly (which you will cover in C4) gives dydxey=1\frac{dy}{dx}e^y=1 so dydx=1ey=1x\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{e^y}= \frac{1}{x}

As for sine going to cosine and in circles, the simplest method I can think of is using the Taylor expansion of sine, and a few other tricks, as well as using the definition of a limit, but that is beyond normal maths A-Level. Though you can of course derive the derivative of tan(x)\tan(x) yourself once you learn the quotient rule, or even just the product rule, for that matter.
Original post by RDKGames
First one is straight-forward once you know the product rule. Even without it, you can use chain rule to prove it.

Then for y=ln(x)ey=xy=\ln(x) \Rightarrow e^y=x and then differentiating implictly (which you will cover in C4) gives dydxey=1\frac{dy}{dx}e^y=1 so dydx=1ey=1x\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{e^y}= \frac{1}{x}

As for sine going to cosine and in circles, the simplest method I can think of is using the Taylor expansion of sine, and a few other tricks, as well as using the definition of a limit, but that is beyond normal maths A-Level. Though you can of course derive the derivative of tan(x)\tan(x) yourself once you learn the quotient rule, or even just the product rule, for that matter.

Oh wow. I may have to try prove the first one using both the chain rule and product rule later on tonight.

Thank you :smile:
How come when I use the chain rule on the second function I get?...

v=(3x1)12 v=(3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}

Let... t=3x1t=3x-1

dvdx=12t12 \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{2} t^{-\frac{1}{2}}

dvdx=12(3x1)12 \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{2} (3x-1)^{-\frac{1}{2}}

But the example says it is...
dvdx=3×12(3x1)12 \frac{dv}{dx} = 3 \times \frac{1}{2} (3x-1)^{-\frac{1}{2}}

Where has the extra 3 come from? :frown:

C3 - Ch.8 Exa 6 -The Product Rule .png
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Philip-flop
How come when I use the chain rule on the second function I get?...

v=(3x1)12 v=(3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}

Let... t=3x1t=3x-1

dvdx=12t12 \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{2} t^{-\frac{1}{2}}

dvdx=12(3x1)12 \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{2} (3x-1)^{-\frac{1}{2}}

But the example says it is...
dvdx=3×12(3x1)12 \frac{dv}{dx} = 3 \times \frac{1}{2} (3x-1)^{-\frac{1}{2}}

Where has the extra 3 come from? :frown:

As I explained above, when you use the chain rule you first make a substitution for the stuff in the brackets (say t), then you differentiate what you have now, then you multiply by the derivative of the stuff you've substituted.

More formally, it is dydx=dydt×dtdx\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dt} \times \frac{dt}{dx}

where dtdx\frac{dt}{dx} is the derivative of the stuff in the brackets.

So in your example you need to multiply by the derivative of 3x13x-1 which is 33.
Original post by notnek
As I explained above, when you use the chain rule you first make a substitution for the stuff in the brackets (say t), then you differentiate what you have now, then you multiply by the derivative of the stuff you've substituted.

More formally, it is dydx=dydt×dtdx\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dt} \times \frac{dt}{dx}

where dtdx\frac{dt}{dx} is the derivative of the stuff in the brackets.

So in your example you need to multiply by the derivative of 3x13x-1 which is 33.

My head feels like it might explode :frown:

So what I should be doing is....

v=(3x1)12 v=(3x-1)^\frac{1}{2}

let... t=3x1 t=3x-1

Differentiate this to give...
dtdx=3 \frac{dt}{dx} = 3 ... <<why do I have to differentiate here first? :/

and then how do I work out what dvdx \frac{dv}{dx} is from here? :frown:

edit: Wait... I think something has finally clicked. I think I understand now!
(edited 7 years ago)
bump
My head feels like it might explode :frown:

So what I should be doing is....

v=(3x1)12 v=(3x-1)^\frac{1}{2}

let... t=3x1 t=3x-1

Differentiate this to give...
dtdx=3 \frac{dt}{dx} = 3 ... <<why do I have to differentiate here first? :/

and then how do I work out what dvdx \frac{dv}{dx} is from here? :frown:

edit: Wait... I think something has finally clicked. I think I understand now!

You construct dtdx\frac{dt}{dx} from differentiating t with respect to x. Next you find dvdt\frac{dv}{dt} by simply substituting your t value into the expression for v, so you get v in terms of t, which you can differentiate in terms of t thus giving dv/dt.

The reason why you find these is because dvdx\frac{dv}{dx} is found by doing dvdtdtdx\frac{dv}{dt}\cdot \frac{dt}{dx} so you need to find the two rates of change individually in order to find dv/dx.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks a lot @notnek My workings for dvdx \frac{dv}{dx} ...

Photo 11-11-2016, 13 23 48.jpg
:smile: :smile: :smile:

(Can't believe how silly I was being considering I just learnt the chain rule last night!!)

But now I'm having trouble simplifying the f'(x) part from...
Attachment not found

...How do I put this under a common denominator...

3x22(3x1)12+(3x1)12(2x)\frac{3x^2}{2(3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}} + (3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} (2x) ??

...How do I put this under a common denominator...

3x22(3x1)12+(3x1)12(2x)\frac{3x^2}{2(3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}} + (3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} (2x) ??

3x22(3x1)12+(3x1)12(2x)=3x22(3x1)1/2+2x(3x1)1/22(3x1)1/22(3x1)1/2\displaystyle \frac{3x^2}{2(3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}} + (3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} (2x) = \frac{3x^2}{2(3x-1)^{1/2}}+\frac{2x(3x-1)^{1/2} \cdot 2(3x-1)^{1/2}}{2(3x-1)^{1/2}}

and simplify
3x22(3x1)12+(3x1)12(2x)=3x22(3x1)1/2+2x(3x1)1/22(3x1)1/22(3x1)1/2\displaystyle \frac{3x^2}{2(3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}} + (3x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} (2x) = \frac{3x^2}{2(3x-1)^{1/2}}+\frac{2x(3x-1)^{1/2} \cdot 2(3x-1)^{1/2}}{2(3x-1)^{1/2}}

and simplify

Oh yeah of course!! And then I could see that as...

3x22(3x1)1/2+2(3x1)1(2x)2(3x1)1/2 \frac{3x^2}{2(3x-1)^{1/2}}+\frac{2(3x-1)^1(2x)}{2(3x-1)^{1/2}}

3x22(3x1)1/2+12x24x2(3x1)1/2 \frac{3x^2}{2(3x-1)^{1/2}}+\frac{12x^2-4x}{2(3x-1)^{1/2}}

3x2+12x24x2(3x1)1/2 \frac{3x^2+12x^2-4x}{2(3x-1)^{1/2}}

and go from there :smile: :smile:

Thank you @RDKGames
This example is about proving the Quotient Rule.
I don''t understand how the second to last line goes from that to the last line when introducing v2 v^2 as a common denominator :frown:

C3 Chapt.8 Exa 8 - Proving the Quotient Rule.png
The 1/v du/dx term has to be multiplied by v to have a common denominator v^2. Becoming (v du/dx)/v^2. Then the two terms have just been swapped around as to not have a leading negative in the final solution.
This example is about proving the Quotient Rule.
I don''t understand how the second to last line goes from that to the last line when introducing v2 v^2 as a common denominator :frown:

C3 Chapt.8 Exa 8 - Proving the Quotient Rule.png

udvdx -u\frac{dv}{dx} stays the same because the denominator is already v2v^2 but 1vdudx×vv=vv2dudx \frac{1}{v}\frac{du}{dx} \times \frac{v}{v} = \frac{v}{v^2}\frac{du}{dx}

putting it all over v^2 you have what is shown.
Original post by NotNotBatman
udvdx -u\frac{dv}{dx} stays the same because the denominator is already v2v^2 but 1vdudx×vv=vv2dudx \frac{1}{v}\frac{du}{dx} \times \frac{v}{v} = \frac{v}{v^2}\frac{du}{dx}

putting it all over v^2 you have what is shown.

Oh right I see. So that gives me...
dydx=vduv2dxudvv2dx \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{v du}{v^2 dx} - \frac{u dv}{v^2 dx}

But then how do I go from this to?...
dydx=vdudxudvdxv2 \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{v \frac{du}{dx} - u \frac{dv}{dx}}{v^2}

denominators are both v^2, so the numerators stay the same.

You divide top and bottom by the change is xx which is dxdx
You divide top and bottom by the change is xx which is dxdx

OMG yes!! That makes sense now! Because dividing top and bottom by dx dx has no effect on the value of the equation (as it is like dividing by 1) it merely changes the look of the equation. Thank yooooou! :smile: :smile:
Now to add nothing to the thread:

C3 calculus in a nutshell

Product rule:

y=f(x)g(x) y = f(x)g(x)

dydx=limδx0(f(x+δx)g(x+δx)f(x)g(x)δx)\displaystyle{ \frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \left(\frac{f(x + \delta x)g(x + \delta x) - f(x)g(x)}{\delta x}\right) }

dydx=limδx0(f(x+δx)g(x+δx)f(x+δx)g(x)+f(x+δx)g(x)f(x)g(x)δx)\displaystyle{ \frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \left(\frac{f(x + \delta x)g(x + \delta x) - f(x + \delta x)g(x) + f(x+ \delta x)g(x) - f(x)g(x)}{\delta x}\right) }

dydx=limδx0(f(x+δx)g(x+δx)f(x+δx)g(x)δx)+limδx0(f(x+δx)g(x)f(x)g(x)δx)[br]\displaystyle{ \frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \left( \frac{f(x + \delta x)g(x + \delta x) - f(x + \delta x)g(x)}{\delta x} \right) + \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \left( \frac{f(x+ \delta x)g(x) - f(x)g(x)}{\delta x} \right)[br]}

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle{ \frac{dy}{dx} = f(x) \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \left( \frac{g(x + \delta x) - g(x)}{\delta x} \right)} + g(x) \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \left( \frac{f(x+ \delta x) - f(x)}{\delta x} \right) }

dydx=f(x)g(x)+f(x)g(x)\displaystyle{ \frac{dy}{dx} = f(x)g'(x) + f'(x)g(x) }

Chain rule:

y=f(g(x))\displaystyle{ y = f(g(x)) }

...proof is fairly arduous (just pretend they are fractions dydududx=dydx\frac{dy}{du} \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dx}... this works at A-levels but bare in mind THIS IS NOT THE PROOF and they are not fractions)...

dydx=f(g(x))g(x)\displaystyle{ \frac{dy}{dx} = f'(g(x))g'(x) }

Lastly (from the chain rule):

ddx(f(y))=f(y)dydx\frac{d}{dx} (f(y)) = f'(y) \frac{dy}{dx}

This is all you 'need' to know in terms of the rules. The quotient rule sometimes come in handy but
Unparseable latex formula:

\frax{a}{b} = ab^{-1}

so the product rule can always be used.

The 'memorise these' derivatives are:

ddx(axn)=naxn1\displaystyle{ \frac{d}{dx} (ax^n) = nax^{n-1} }

ddx(ex)=ex\displaystyle{ \frac{d}{dx} (e^{x}) = e^x }

ddx(lnx)=1x\displaystyle{ \frac{d}{dx} (\ln x) = \frac{1}{x} }

ddx(sinx)=cosx\displaystyle{ \frac{d}{dx} (\sin x) = \cos x }

ddx(cosx)=sinx\displaystyle{ \frac{d}{dx} (\cos x) = - \sin x }

(HAVEN'T INCLUDED THE ONES ON THE FORMULA SHEET)

Tips:

Try taking the natural log, in the case of exponentials for example if given the function, let's say, y=xxy = x^{x}. This may look to do, but is actually relatively trivial.

lny=xlnx\displaystyle{ \ln y = x \ln x }

1ydydx=1+lnx\displaystyle{ \frac{1}{y} \frac{dy}{dx} = 1 + \ln x }

dydx=xx(1+lnx)\displaystyle{ \frac{dy}{dx} = x^x(1 + \ln x)}

(now try ddx(xxx)\frac{d}{dx} \left(x^{x^x}\right), you should be able too)

That is about it, (these are somewhat a cut and paste from my notes so sorry) hope it helped make things clearer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by X_IDE_sidf
Now to add nothing to the thread:

C3 calculus in a nutshell...

Thanks for that. Your notes might actually come in handy for me :smile:
I just wish you would give me a heads up before spamming :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest