The Student Room Group

Opinions on using tinder

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I met my boyfriend on Tinder and we've been going out for over a year now, so there are some decent people on there. Like you, I was disgustingly shy and worried constantly about how people would judge me in real life on dates, I was terrified of rejection and refused to speak to anyone I actually liked! Going on the few dates I did with the app actually really boosted my confidence and made me realise that people out there will actually take an interest if they like you.
Even if you think you're not attractive, I bet there will be someone out there who will think you're great, and you'll hit it off. I'd suggest go for it, and see where it goes.
Tinder can just be a tester as it were, 'dipping your toe' in the dating water. You don't have to spend the rest of your life with any one girl you meet, just make it clear you're new to it (I did, some guys were more sympathetic than others), and they'll be people who understand and genuinely want to meet, regardless.
Do it for yourself more than anyone, get yourself out there to boost your confidence with the dating scene. And then, even if you only get a couple of dates, at least you know you can speak to girls and maybe take that confidence to try a different approach :smile:
First, if you're worried that you will see your friends on Tinder or something and be judged, just think about the fact that they're also on Tinder too...? They will only know you're on Tinder by being on Tinder themselves, so it's not like they can really say much to you about that.

Secondly, try to care less about what others think of you. It's your life and not theirs. You're the one who will be affected the most by your actions, not them so who cares, right? Easier said than done but keep it in mind.

Third... I think as you are shy etc. that Tinder is a good way of bringing out your confidence a little more? In the case of Tinder yes, physical attraction may play more into it as a first impression than something like personality. It's the first thing you see after all. However, if you use Tinder with the mindset that it's an experience more than anything, it really does help. Don't lower your standards in desperation, just like the people you REALLY like. Don't settle, since Tinder allows for this via the matching mechanic. Even if you have failures, you'll learn something from such experiences for the next time.

Lastly, I myself have used Tinder. At first only by recommendation by a former friend, who said even if I wasn't looking for a relationship that it's a great way of just meeting people. I only had it for 3 days and only swiped "like" for approximately five people? Going through several hundred people to the point my thumb ached xD.I deleted it on the third day simply because I made one friend, who.. as hard as it may be to believe, I had NO intention of dating (I was just not ready to be in a relationship). Turns out, now we're almost approaching our first year anniversary, and he's the most amazing guy I've ever known.

Honestly, I don't regret it one bit.
All these Tinder success stories. I cannot even fathom how it is possible.
Hehe I know, I wouldn't believe it myself if it didn't happen ^-^. It is honestly possible albeit perhaps rare xD. Though it sucks for a "how did you meet?" story hahaha xD.
Original post by SyOnGuitar
Hehe I know, I wouldn't believe it myself if it didn't happen ^-^. It is honestly possible albeit perhaps rare xD. Though it sucks for a "how did you meet?" story hahaha xD.

I'm glad you're happy. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending