The Student Room Group

Introducing National Service for all 18 to 20 years olds

Scroll to see replies

That is brilliant! I can't even begin to think of the number of threads to which this would be the perfect answer - just change the text and you're done. How did you create it :smile:
Original post by AperfectBalance
I already have respect for people that deserve it, I dont need to know how much I have been given.

I already have experience working outside of education and so do many people

' I already have respect for people that deserve it' that show me how little respect you have for people who you don't think are your equal. all human being are equal and deserve to be treated with respect. this include people who have been in trouble with the police, student, people who are poor or rich.
Original post by Reality Check
That is brilliant! I can't even begin to think of the number of threads to which this would be the perfect answer - just change the text and you're done. How did you create it :smile:

Had to be done

:rofl:

You're my new favourite person today.
lol I'm not going to spend a year of my life doing that, and it's just going to use taxpayers money. No thanks
Original post by looloo2134
all human being are equal and deserve to be treated with respect

Yep.

Which is why foisting 18 yr olds with no training, no enthusiasm, no capability and no desire to help on people going through hard times is beyond moronic.
Original post by Trapz99
lol I'm not going to spend a year of my life doing that, and it's just going to use taxpayers money. No thanks

It will teach you respect for yourself and other people. you will also learn what you are capable of.
It will teach you respect for yourself and other people. you will also learn what you are capable of.

No it won't! All it will indicate is that you will be treated as cheap labour for those vulnerable groups in society where the government has made drastic cuts to services.
And, furthermore, with a son in the Armed Forces, there is no way he would want a sullen 18 year old watching his back on active duty or exercises.
You're talking out of your arse!
Original post by Seamus123
No it won't! All it will indicate is that you will be treated as cheap labour for those vulnerable groups in society where the government has made drastic cuts to services.
And, furthermore, with a son in the Armed Forces, there is no way he would want a sullen 18 year old watching his back on active duty or exercises.
You're talking out of your arse!

do not you bad language. 18 years old have been servicing in the Armed Forces for 100s of years and they have died in active duty. so sullen 18 years old are perfectly capable doing active duty the same as any other adult in the Armed Forces.
No. If you want to do community service, be our guest. No one is specifically stopping you from doing it. It's not volunteering or a good deed if the alternative is punishment.
(edited 7 years ago)
do not you bad language. 18 years old have been servicing in the Armed Forces for 100s of years and they have died in active duty. so sullen 18 years old are perfectly capable doing active duty the same as any other adult in the Armed Forces.

You're forgetting one simple fact. Or ignoring. Or are just stupid and not considering it:

Choice.
Original post by Drewski
You're forgetting one simple fact. Or ignoring. Or are just stupid and not considering it:

Choice.

Exactly!
Reply 32
People who just finished school should made to do Community Services for a year after finishing school. If they refused to take part they will get a criminal record and their passport taken from them for five years.

the service should be in 4 parts of 3 months.over a year
1) working and living in a homeless hostel for three months
2) living and working in a nursing home for three months
3) Work and living with children in care for three months
4) working and living with people with learning disability.

I'm all for encouraging folk to try out volunteering and helping out the needy/vulnerable etc.

HOWEVER what you are suggesting is ridiculous!
First off, the school leavers that want to attend further education such as College/University would have to put back their plans for that year, which (if it was me) would piss me off a treat!
If they are being made to do Community Services then i take it they will not be paid, so they will be financially worse off than when they left school (great just what you need before going onto Uni).
Working with children in care? An 18 year old with no experience or qualifications in this field? me thinks not! (no disrespect to any 18 yos!)

Finally to give someone a criminal record and removal of passport for 5 years? Are you high???

Look your 'idea' is not a bad thing per se, but i think you are going about it the wrong way.
Offering it as an option to school leavers could be good for those people interested in a career in caring for the elderly/children/homeless, nursing, etc with the year providing them credit/training towards their future courses.
National Service is only worth having if the country needs it for security
-Israel
-South Korea
-Cyprus

Britain doesn't need
Original post by Drewski

Choice.

Do not used abusive language toward me because you disagree with me that show you as being childish. Your comments are showing you as believing you are better them me which you are. Also never use words moronic or stupid against other people because they are used to belittle people with learning disabilitieshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(psychology)
Reply 35

18 year olds nowadays have a choice of wether to join up or not.
18 year olds in ages past, did not, however the world was in a very different state back then than it is now. Young men were signed up due to imminent War.

Having served in the Armed Forces myself i can honestly say i would rather serve alongside a man/woman that voluntarily joined as apposed to someone 'forced' into it.
But that's just me ;-)
Original post by Nicky83
18 year olds nowadays have a choice of wether to join up or not.
18 year olds in ages past, did not, however the world was in a very different state back then than it is now. Young men were signed up due to imminent War.

Having served in the Armed Forces myself i can honestly say i would rather serve alongside a man/woman that voluntarily joined as apposed to someone 'forced' into it.
But that's just me ;-)

You're new to this argument aren't you? Didn't you know opinion (from armchair generals) trumps real life experience?

Spoiler

Original post by moonkatt
You're new to this argument aren't you? Didn't you know opinion (from armchair generals) trumps real life experience?

Spoiler

Thirded. Also ex-serving.
Reply 38
Lol obvious troll is obvious
Original post by cambio wechsel
you have to wonder what these 4 highly vulnerable groups have done to deserve having largely resentful 18 year old ***** inflicted on them.

However those kinds of environments are used for placements for conchies and those not medically fit enough for 999 / Military service in those European Nations that retained National Service. There are also the dutch elderly care homes who have students live as companions and activities focused people ...

Costs are pretty much academic in that wages wise as it would be compulsory the government could exempt it from minimum wage laws ( much as the first year of apprenticeships are exempted abnd the military is exempeted from the hourly rate stuff ) accomodation and subsistence could be an issue in some places ( but equally unlike the NHS many care home operators don;t see it as an issue to feed staff and in some settings having 'family meals' is part of the therapeutic environment

training needs will depend on the nature of the role - it;s companionship / pair of eyes / activities ... the training overhead is rather smaller than if it;s a HCA role ( for the care home / LD settings)

as thers have said 3 month placement may not be ideal and restricting it to social care is also not necessarily a brilliant idea

asfor those wanting not to do it, fine - i'm sure there are ways to avoid the block project ...

- signing up for the Military
- studying certain subjects in HE
- making a commitment to train for and then serve with the following kinds of organisations for a period of time / number of hours of duty
- Special Constabulary
- Retained duty system Fire Fighter
- Community Responder / ambulance reserve
- Search and Rescue ( lowland / mountain / fell / cave )
-HMCG or RNLI rescue teams / crew
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending