The Student Room Group

Will i still get loan if i leave course early 2nd year

The next loan date is the 30th of dec but im really struggling with the course i'm literally fed up now, so i want to stop going because its stressing me out, but have accomdation to pay for so i need the next loans money.

Would the uni inform sfe if i stop going in by the 30th december?

Would they stop the payment?

If they do the payment what will i have to pay back and how much also when.

Thanks very much, i just feel like uni is taking over my life.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Adamsmith1990
The next loan date is the 30th of dec but im really struggling with the course i fed so i want to stop going because its stressing me out, but have accomdation to pay for so i need the next loans money.

Would the uni inform sfe if i stop going in by the 30th december?

I presume they would, but you should be telling them anyway. That instalment will be for the next term so you would have to pay it back anyway. If you are striggling then see a Dr and if you need to leave then do so properly.

If you are liable for accommodation, then its likely you will have to find a replacement.
Original post by 999tigger
I presume they would, but you should be telling them anyway. That instalment will be for the next term so you would have to pay it back anyway. If you are striggling then see a Dr and if you need to leave then do so properly.

If you are liable for accommodation, then its likely you will have to find a replacement.

Yes i understand if they find out about not going to uni but can i pay back sfe slowly in installments as i cant find someone else to replace my accomadation is this area.
Reply 3
Original post by Adamsmith1990
Yes i understand if they find out about not going to uni but can i pay back sfe slowly in installments as i cant find someone else to replace my accomadation is this area.

If you leave by 30th December then you would not get any further payments. Your uni will tell student finance that you have dropped out - and you should tell them too.

The bit you've had already will be paid back when you're earning over the threshold.
If you leave at the end of December, you'll need to pay back whatever you owe them from last year, plus the maintance loans that you've had this term, plus whatever has already been paid for this term. So long as the next two terms are not paid, you will not owe Student Finance for the next two terms. The payments will be taken when you earn above the earnings threshold, the same way that anyone who graduated would do so.

The tuition fee loan/maintance grants shouldn't be paid if you haven't turned up (usually, student finance waits for the university to say you're attending before they pay the loan), however I'd inform student finance that you've withdrawn from your course when you leave. If I remember right, you need to log into Student Finance England, and from there you should see the option to withdraw from your studies.
Moved to Student Financial Support

As mentioned, it's your responsibility to inform student finance.

Talk to the accommodation office about finding a replacement, if you haven't done so already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending