The Student Room Group
Hey!

So I had my induction day yesterday so I'll tell you a bit how it went! It started at 9AM and finished at roughly 4:30PM. An hour lunch break at 12 and a 10 minute break at 2.

The day consisted of watching short clips and answering a variety of questions in a booklet as a group (typically there will be 8 people per induction group). The questions focused on Health and Safety, Hygiene, Security and quite a few more. It was quite an enjoyable day to be honest and I learned some interesting facts too (Did you know Europe is running out or is very close to running out of EAN/ Barcode numbers?)

There were lots of complimentary snacks and flavoured water available as well as tea and coffee.

Most people were dressed smart casual and lastly the staff were extremely welcoming and friendly.

You've nothing to worry about, good luck and enjoy yourself! ☺️
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey guys,

I have an interview on Monday for festive colleague - was wondering what your interviews were like, what was asked and any tips? This would be my first ever job if I got it😊

Original post by rossmrr
Hi Guys

I've got my induction at Tesco tomorrow and I'm curious to find out what might be involved?

Original post by Little Tom
Hey!

So I had my induction day yesterday so I'll tell you a bit how it went! It started at 9AM and finished at roughly 4:30PM. An hour lunch break at 12 and a 10 minute break at 2.

The day consisted of watching short clips and answering a variety of questions in a booklet as a group (typically there will be 8 people per induction group). The questions focused on Health and Safety, Hygiene, Security and quite a few more. It was quite an enjoyable day to be honest and I learned some interesting facts too (Did you know Europe is running out or is very close to running out of EAN/ Barcode numbers?)

There were lots of complimentary snacks and flavoured water available as well as tea and coffee.

Most people were dressed smart casual and lastly the staff were extremely welcoming and friendly.

You've nothing to worry about, good luck and enjoy yourself! ☺️
Hey!

So the interviews were quite pleasant. You'll be asked a range of questions that will start with "give me an example of a time where...", you might be asked to give an example where you showed initiative, where you went above and beyond your expectations or even how you'd managed to calm yourself down in a situation. I didn't find the interview hard and it just flowed. You might be asked to talk about your self and if you are, just talk about your self! Dress smart and keep a good attitude and posture. Good luck, let us know how you get on :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice :smile: For them questions like "A time where you .." Can I use my studies and things I've done in college? (Since I have no work experience)

Hey!

So the interviews were quite pleasant. You'll be asked a range of questions that will start with "give me an example of a time where...", you might be asked to give an example where you showed initiative, where you went above and beyond your expectations or even how you'd managed to calm yourself down in a situation. I didn't find the interview hard and it just flowed. You might be asked to talk about your self and if you are, just talk a out your self! Dress smart and keep a good attitude and posture. Good luck, let us know how you get on :smile:
Original post by Yusufff
Thanks for the advice :smile: For them questions like "A time where you .." Can I use my studies and things I've done in college? (Since I have no work experience)

Absolutely, I had just came back from an "employability" weekend before my interview and used a bridge building activity I did as an example of teamwork.

Note that there are a lot of skills that can be learnt outside of the workplace too. These can apply to your hobbies, friend groups, societies etc. The list goes on!
Reply 6
Nice one! Did you get the job? If so how long after interview did you wait?

Absolutely, I had just came back from an "employability" weekend before my interview and used a bridge building activity I did as an example of teamwork.

Note that there are a lot of skills that can be learnt outside of the workplace too. These can apply to your hobbies, friend groups, societies etc. The list goes on!
Original post by Yusufff
Nice one! Did you get the job? If so how long after interview did you wait?

No problem! Yeah I was offered Festive work, I had applied for dotcom but the store won't actually start dotcom until mid/ end of January so for now I'm on the festive team. My interview was on the 1st November and I was offered the position on the evening of the 4th, though this is a new store so I imagine they're eager to get employees processed quickly :smile:
Reply 8
Congratulations :smile: Thanks for those tips and info, I'll let you know how I get on.

No problem! Yeah I was offered Festive work, I had applied for dotcom but the store won't actually start dotcom until mid/ end of January so for now I'm on the festive team. My interview was on the 1st November and I was offered the position on the evening of the 4th, though this is a new store so I imagine they're eager to get employees processed quickly :smile:
Thanks! Again, good luck, I'm sure you'll ace it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi guys. I already had my induction a couple weeks ago and have been working in produce (fruit veg). However unfortunately I am finding this Department really Unenjoyable. I did some overtime on checkouts today and really liked it. Do you think it would reflect badly on me or be a poor decision to ask to switch roles??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! Well my interview is tomorrow and I'm dreading it :redface: How did yours go, and what sort of things were asked?

Original post by MBK14
Hi guys. I already had my induction a couple weeks ago and have been working in produce (fruit veg). However unfortunately I am finding this Department really Unenjoyable. I did some overtime on checkouts today and really liked it. Do you think it would reflect badly on me or be a poor decision to ask to switch roles??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Yusufff
Hey! Well my interview is tomorrow and I'm dreading it :redface: How did yours go, and what sort of things were asked?

The interview was fine to be fair. It was a group style one where you had to do a group activity. One on one bit only lasted a few minutes. I'd say try and stand out from the others by offering solutions first and being confident however let others speak too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reassuring answer haha. Hope you're able to resolve your issue with working in produce - my suggestion would be to maybe let your manager know that you really enjoyed checkouts and wouldn't mind working there more? In a friendly causal way - I wouldn't say you dislike produce though. Maybe you're put in that department bc you're needed most there if you get me?

Original post by MBK14
The interview was fine to be fair. It was a group style one where you had to do a group activity. One on one bit only lasted a few minutes. I'd say try and stand out from the others by offering solutions first and being confident however let others speak too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank god I have my welcoming day tomorrow and I’m extremely nervous
Can someone also tell me where do I have to go? Is it go to customer service and explain why I’m here?
Original post by username2911980
Hi Guys

I've got my induction at Tesco tomorrow and I'm curious to find out what might be involved?

Original post by username2911980
Hi Guys

Do I go to customer service and say I have a induction or is there a place I gotta go to take the induction??
help i have mine tomorrow - where did you go to ?
Original post by Brandonhazell
Do I go to customer service and say I have a induction or is there a place I gotta go to take the induction??
Hey guys I got induction on Monday will they accept me for real work ? They told me to bring all the documents including bank details?

Latest

Trending

Trending