The Student Room Group

alevels

should I take 3 or 4 alevels is 4 alevels too much?
I'm in year 12 and do four a levels. It is not too much but one of my subjects is pretty chilled compared to my other three and i plan on dropping it at the end of the year
I started off with 4 but found it way too much. But maybe that was because I was applying for Med the application process was intense 😕

Really depends on your subjects though, and if your unis require 4 Alevels or 3.
I started with 4 (Computer Science, Physics, Maths Mechanics and Further Maths) and dropped Computer Science a month later because it was really boring and I didn't have enough time for the other subjects that I would need for university as I need at very least A*AA to get into my most preferred university. I would recommend do the subjects that you specifically need otherwise it's an overkill. (It's also less stressful :smile:, I'm currently doing AS).
Original post by chris2791
should I take 3 or 4 alevels is 4 alevels too much?

Take 4 at first. If you feel it's too hard then drop the one that you can't be bothered with.
Go for 4 so you have the option to drop one if you need to.
Reply 6
Original post by JustasB
I started with 4 (Computer Science, Physics, Maths Mechanics and Further Maths) and dropped Computer Science a month later because it was really boring and I didn't have enough time for the other subjects that I would need for university as I need at very least A*AA to get into my most preferred university. I would recommend do the subjects that you specifically need otherwise it's an overkill. (It's also less stressful :smile:, I'm currently doing AS).

I was thinking of taking computer science! oh if its boring I prefer not to take it but what was boring about it? what exam board were you on
Original post by chris2791
I was thinking of taking computer science! oh if its boring I prefer not to take it but what was boring about it? what exam board were you on

The theory to me was very boring, I think this is because of our teacher who was a very boring teacher. Funny thing is I only took it because I wanted to do CompSci at university but completely deterred me from doing it and I have found something much more enjoyable. I did OCR Computer Science.
With the new A-Level changes, most subjects are linear so you cannot get an AS level if you drop it at the end of the first year. So I would recommend that if you do, you should take a 4th one that you can drop and still get an AS. However, most of my friends who are currently taking 4 are finding it a lot of work and want to drop one, and the work load increases a lot in the A2 year.

An alternative could be to take 3 A-Levels and do the EPQ. Whilst this is still extra work, I've read on these forums that sometimes doing 3 and an EPQ is actually better than doing a 4th subject, as it shows ability to do independent research, and that you have personal interest in a potential university subject.

I think it's quite a personal thing though, so I would suggest follwoing your gut and taking on the amount of workload you think you can manage. Remember to get an equal balance between school work, perhaps a part time job, enrichment activities, volunteering (i.e. helping with younger year groups) and relaxing, as this will make you a well rounded university applicant if/when you apply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest