The Student Room Group

New Maths Exam Edexcel. How to go from grade C to an A*?

Hey, so I'm apart of the new GCSE this year and I'm struggling in maths right now plus they have moved various A-level topics down to us, I could really use help and advice on how to get from a grade C to an A*. I would love to become an Acoustic Engineer when I'm older but unfortunately I'm finding maths challenging and my teachers have said I would really struggle if I were to take it at A-Level. Not sure what to do at the moment, I have a sixth form taster day coming up and I'm going to see how that goes too.

I'm also very into Theology and Religious Studies, Music Technology and Physics - If I were to take those subjects at A-Level what jobs are out there that I am able to do and what university courses are out there?

Thanks! x
Original post by FloMia
Hey, so I'm apart of the new GCSE this year and I'm struggling in maths right now plus they have moved various A-level topics down to us, I could really use help and advice on how to get from a grade C to an A*. I would love to become an Acoustic Engineer when I'm older but unfortunately I'm finding maths challenging and my teachers have said I would really struggle if I were to take it at A-Level. Not sure what to do at the moment, I have a sixth form taster day coming up and I'm going to see how that goes too.

I'm also very into Theology and Religious Studies, Music Technology and Physics - If I were to take those subjects at A-Level what jobs are out there that I am able to do and what university courses are out there?

Thanks! x

Ahh I agree with you that the new maths GCSE is hard! I'm doing it too :/

I don't know much about university courses but I know that since physics is a science, it does open up many opportunities in later life :smile:
Reply 2
Hello!

The new 9-1 Maths exams do make things a bit more challenging, as it's more about applying your knowledge to real life situations. The solution on how to go from C->A* is a difficult one, or else everybody would be on A*s! If there's a specific part of Maths that you find particularly difficult, feel free to ask away. Perhaps that's a good way of progressing and trying to reach your grades.
Reply 3
Original post by Ambiguity
Hello!

The new 9-1 Maths exams do make things a bit more challenging, as it's more about applying your knowledge to real life situations. The solution on how to go from C->A* is a difficult one, or else everybody would be on A*s! If there's a specific part of Maths that you find particularly difficult, feel free to ask away. Perhaps that's a good way of progressing and trying to reach your grades.

Agreed that its hard, to be honest I find quite a few things challenging. Rearranging to start with, I find trigonometry so much fun but rearranging, I find that so difficult when it is so simple.
Reply 4
Original post by Alicezworld
Ahh I agree with you that the new maths GCSE is hard! I'm doing it too :/

I don't know much about university courses but I know that since physics is a science, it does open up many opportunities in later life :smile:

Yeah physics is great!

Although if I wanted to take it at university I'd still need maths A-Level...Annoyingly...Thank You though!
Reply 5
If you have a particular example that you've seen recently on rearranging, I'd be happy to help!

Quick Reply

Latest