The Student Room Group

What have you heard about these unis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BiologyBathSpa
I'm interested to know why it is so much better. Surely it depends on what part of Biology you are interested in studying?

Let's be honest the calibre of students in these 'modern' universities is not that of the 'traditional universities'. Now I know I am sounding snobbish but personally I don't know why students would go to these universities. An employer would rather have someone from a top Russell group university than a BTEC version of Bath University. Sorry if that sounded harsh but I don't want the OP to pick Bath Spa if she can go to Southampton.
Original post by Epistemolog y
Let's be honest the calibre of students in these 'modern' universities is not that of the 'traditional universities'. Now I know I am sounding snobbish but personally I don't know why students would go to these universities. An employer would rather have someone from a top Russell group university than a BTEC version of Bath University. Sorry if that sounded harsh but I don't want the OP to pick Bath Spa if she can go to Southampton.

If said this several times on other posts and I'll say it again because it's a great point.

Go to a NHS diagnostic pathology laboratory and count how many graduates from RG universities you will find. You'll do well to find any. Why? Traditional Universities pretty much providing a generic degree. Modern Universities gear their courses towards actually breaking into a career. It is why no traditional universities run the NHS Practitioners Training Programme. They aren't interested in producing registered professionals. They just want to produce graduates.

Edit:

Yes, your post sounds snobby and more importantly it is wrong. In my experience the students of non-RG universities are much more employable as they tend to be much more rounded graduates. Secondly, just because a University is lower in the rankings does not mean they run a 'BTEC version'. The equivalent courses are 99% of the time just as good if not better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TraineeBMS
If said this several times on other posts and I'll say it again because it's a great point.

Go to a NHS diagnostic pathology laboratory and count how many graduates from RG universities you will find. You'll do well to find any. Why? Traditional Universities pretty much providing a generic degree. Modern Universities gear their courses towards actually breaking into a career. It is why no traditional universities run the NHS Practitioners Training Programme. They aren't interested in producing registered professionals. They just want to produce graduates.

Edit:

Yes, your post sounds snobby and more importantly it is wrong. In my experience the students of non-RG universities are much more employable as they tend to be much more rounded graduates. Secondly, just because a University is lower in the rankings does not mean they run a 'BTEC version'. The equivalent courses are 99% of the time just as good if not better.

Bath Spa, Nottingham Trent, Oxford Brookes, Man Met, Birmingham city all BTEC universities. If these modern universities are great why do they have lower grade requirements? I am willing to learn but so far you have basically said that to me that A-Levels and BTEC's are the same thing and how BTEC's are more practical and prepare you better for the real world. While that isn't what you said it is similiar in the sense they are both nonsense.
Bath Spa, Nottingham Trent, Oxford Brookes, Man Met, Birmingham city all BTEC universities. If these modern universities are great why do they have lower grade requirements? I am willing to learn but so far you have basically said that to me that A-Levels and BTEC's are the same thing and how BTEC's are more practical and prepare you better for the real world. While that isn't what you said it is similiar in the sense they are both nonsense.

I have no idea what you mean by BTEC University. Are you under the impression that they run BTEC's or only people with BTEC's apply there? Either way, you are massively wrong.

I have not said A-Level's and BTEC's are the same. I'm actually not a fan of BTEC's. I actually know a guy who came top of a Biomedical Science course who did BTEC's but personally I think A Level's are the way to do.

I'm deviating from the point because I do not see where BTEC's even come into this discussion.
As someone who has not yet reached University, I would not expect you to understand. In college and sixth form there is very much a demand that you must go to elite universities if you can. That is at least my experience from attending an elite sixth form. It's all about stats from them.

You will soon realise how wrong you are. I spent some time at Leeds Teaching Hospital's recently and I was amazed to find that the majority of those in their diagnostic labs that were in high positions had degrees from non-RG Universities. This was my first experience of what I describe. I found that a lot of their graduate roles were filled by University of Bradford graduates. Why? Accordingly to the senior members of staff I asked they simply found that they were geared to the career much more. It even went to an extend that the Biomedical Science course at Leeds wasn't even IBMS accredited yet the alternate version at Bradford was not only IBMS accredited, but provided you with HCPC registration which meant graduates walked into Band 5 roles. Graduates of the one at Leeds were having to take IBMS top-up modules before they could even begin doing their HCPC registration portfolio. That means UOL graduates were entering the labs in Band 2 roles. I know which degree I would rather do.
As someone who has not yet reached University, I would not expect you to understand. In college and sixth form there is very much a demand that you must go to elite universities if you can. That is at least my experience from attending an elite sixth form. It's all about stats from them.

You will soon realise how wrong you are. I spent some time at Leeds Teaching Hospital's recently and I was amazed to find that the majority of those in their diagnostic labs that were in high positions had degrees from non-RG Universities. This was my first experience of what I describe. I found that a lot of their graduate roles were filled by University of Bradford graduates. Why? Accordingly to the senior members of staff I asked they simply found that they were geared to the career much more. It even went to an extend that the Biomedical Science course at Leeds wasn't even IBMS accredited yet the alternate version at Bradford was not only IBMS accredited, but provided you with HCPC registration which meant graduates walked into Band 5 roles. Graduates of the one at Leeds were having to take IBMS top-up modules before they could even begin doing their HCPC registration portfolio. That means UOL graduates were entering the labs in Band 2 roles. I know which degree I would rather do.

I have no idea what you mean by BTEC University. Are you under the impression that they run BTEC's or only people with BTEC's apply there? Either way, you are massively wrong.

I have not said A-Level's and BTEC's are the same. I'm actually not a fan of BTEC's. I actually know a guy who came top of a Biomedical Science course who did BTEC's but personally I think A Level's are the way to do.

I'm deviating from the point because I do not see where BTEC's even come into this discussion.

Maybe but my field is finance so it is different. I have also seen table of top recruiters and they have some target and semi target universities like Leeds Manchester and Nottingham. I agree with you, you can go far with BTEC's as well as sociology,photography, business studies etc. Answer me one question though. Why do they have lower entry requirements?
Maybe but my field is finance so it is different. I have also seen table of top recruiters and they have some target and semi target universities like Leeds Manchester and Nottingham. I agree with you, you can go far with BTEC's as well as sociology,photography, business studies etc. Answer me one question though. Why do they have lower entry requirements?

It is because college's and sixth forms, as well as some parents, are still pressing it as important that you must go to a RG university.

Answer me what you mean about BTEC's. I haven't a clue what you mean. It is irrelevant we are discussing degrees not BTEC's. Do you know what BTEC's are?
It is because college's and sixth forms, as well as some parents, are still pressing it as important that you must go to a RG university.

Answer me what you mean about BTEC's. I haven't a clue what you mean. It is irrelevant we are discussing degrees not BTEC's. Do you know what BTEC's are?

Yes I am a gap year student who knows people who got a U in maths and did a 2 year course in 1 year and got distinctions. If you can't get A's and B's in A-Levels you should do BTEC's.
Yes I am a gap year student who knows people who got a U in maths and did a 2 year course in 1 year and got distinctions. If you can't get A's and B's in A-Levels you should do BTEC's.

Listen, I'm not going to run around in circles with you.

Firstly, if you get into University they will talk a lot about learning styles. BTEC's are not necessarily easier but they are different. I personally do not learn well in lectures but I learn very well practically. A Level's are hard mainly because they work well to one learning style only. I know a lot of very intelligence people that flunked their A Level's and have been very successful. One in particular missed the entry requirements to study Biomedical Science at the University of Bradford but back then they were very relaxed and they still let her in (wouldn't happen now). With the mentality you have she would be destined for failure. When I last spoke to her over a year ago she was on route to become the youngest Consultant Clinical Scientist in the country. That is an amazing accomplishment. No RG University. Poor A Level results. Success.

Secondly, you didn't answer my question in regards to BTEC's. You keep referring to BTEC universities and I am not sure what you mean. This is either some kind of slur that you use to insult the universities or you seem to think people go there to do BTEC's.

I actually have a lot of experience of two very different Universities and I turned down the chance to go to a major RG universiy and chose to go to a non-RG university. The decision made sense then and it makes sense now. I did not let snobbery get in the way of moulding myself into an employable graduate. I would be nowhere near as employable had I gone to the RG university.
There are a select few, yes, and they're typically regarded as stone-age employers by the top recruitment experts since we have moved judging a graduate based on where they obtained their degree because 80% of employers have realised just how little it means.

You mean those employers that offer the best paid and prestigious careers available to graduates in the present times? Banking and magic circle law jobs are not to be sniffed at and are certainly preferable to Aldi graduate management schemes.
Law is not what it used to be. The caliber of law students nowadays is exactly what you've been turning your nose up at on this post.
Law is not what it used to be. The caliber of law students nowadays is exactly what you've been turning your nose up at on this post.

I'm not turning my nose up at anything, I'm just stating cold, hard facts about employers attitudes towards different caliber's of university
Listen, I'm not going to run around in circles with you.

Firstly, if you get into University they will talk a lot about learning styles. BTEC's are not necessarily easier but they are different. I personally do not learn well in lectures but I learn very well practically. A Level's are hard mainly because they work well to one learning style only. I know a lot of very intelligence people that flunked their A Level's and have been very successful. One in particular missed the entry requirements to study Biomedical Science at the University of Bradford but back then they were very relaxed and they still let her in (wouldn't happen now). With the mentality you have she would be destined for failure. When I last spoke to her over a year ago she was on route to become the youngest Consultant Clinical Scientist in the country. That is an amazing accomplishment. No RG University. Poor A Level results. Success.

Secondly, you didn't answer my question in regards to BTEC's. You keep referring to BTEC universities and I am not sure what you mean. This is either some kind of slur that you use to insult the universities or you seem to think people go there to do BTEC's.

I actually have a lot of experience of two very different Universities and I turned down the chance to go to a major RG universiy and chose to go to a non-RG university. The decision made sense then and it makes sense now. I did not let snobbery get in the way of moulding myself into an employable graduate. I would be nowhere near as employable had I gone to the RG university.

I was insulting those universities.... Look the education system is a joke. Grades are not the be all and end all I understand that. I also understand A-Levels require specific keywords and very one dimensional. Richard Brandson, Alan Sugar, Jeremy Corbyn and many school leavers without degrees are sucessful I am just talking to OP and saying you would be stupid to reject Southampton for Bath Spa obviously them getting the grades for Southampton is a different story.
At the end of the day what is important about education? To get a job. When employers are saying take a degree that makes you more employable regardless of the University I suggest you listen, because they're the ones who decide at the end of the day whether your education warrants a job.

It's also worth noting which Universities have been noted as the biggest growers in recent years in terms of their standards, because there's not many RG universities in there. Non-RG universities caught up and it's about time students did themselves the service of realising that because they're losing out by not.
Reply 34
Original post by sasha1999
I have been offered conditional offers for University of Bedfordshire, Bath spa University and University of Salford to study Biology.
I have also received an unconditional from the University of Bolton.
I am still awaiting a decision from the University of Southampon.

What have you heard about Biology from the following Universitys?

Bath spa University
University of Salford
University of Bolton

P.S I have been to open days for all of them except Bolton which I am seeing soon! I have also been on 'Unistats' and 'which?'

Thank you in advance!

I have a firend studying Biology at Salford, he seems to really enjoy it,
Isn't Southampton in a completely different league to the rest of your universities?
Just curious lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Southampton is the only respectable Uni out of those
southampton is clearly the best option out of all of these
Southampton is decent, but the other four are awful.
At the end of the day what is important about education? To get a job. When employers are saying take a degree that makes you more employable regardless of the University I suggest you listen, because they're the ones who decide at the end of the day whether your education warrants a job.

It's also worth noting which Universities have been noted as the biggest growers in recent years in terms of their standards, because there's not many RG universities in there. Non-RG universities caught up and it's about time students did themselves the service of realising that because they're losing out by not.

Original post by DamnDaniel2
Isn't Southampton in a completely different league to the rest of your universities?
Just curious lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally everyone is coming to the party bloody hell. Sorry to sound snobbish I only want the best for OP. Also employers trend shows the prefer the universities we are taking about. I can link you to a piece which has data and which 25 universities are targeted the most and Southampton is the only one out of those 5 who make the list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending