The Student Room Group

Does Pure Maths fall in the category of engineering?

I need to create a fictional CV for a real job placement.
I'm looking at the placement finder at my uni's careers website, most of the degree requirements or "job function" include engineering rather than Mathematics Bsc.
So can I apply for those placements with engineering?
Original post by NotGodofWorld
I'm looking at the placement finder at my uni's careers website, most of the degree requirements or "job function" include engineering rather than Mathematics Bsc.

what? why?
Original post by Jagwar Ma
what? why?

urm are you asking why I need to make a fictional CV?
urm are you asking why I need to make a fictional CV?

yes

To answer the question, it's best to ask the company you are applying for what degree programs they accept. Pure maths and engineering are vastly different. I don't quite get the wording of your question though.

Are you studying engineering? Or Maths?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jagwar Ma
yes

CW for my academic writing module
So do they require an engineering degree? Maths isn't engineering. Usually, the BSc or BEng part doesn't make a difference - if you've done engineering, you've done engineering. Some people have BSci and have engineering degrees. Don't know if that answers your question.
Probably not, just stick to finance placements
Original post by Helloworld_95
Probably not, just stick to finance placements

Lol all the finance plaements have jst 'Finance' for the job function
Reply 8

Err no. Maths is in no way whatsoever belongs to engineering (although there are some Maths degree such as BEng Engineering Mathematics). Your best bet is contacting the placement providers to ask if you will be able to qualify for engineering related jobs. You'll have more chance applying for jobs in the engineering sector if it isn't as practical and more to do with modelling.

Maths isn't engineering, although unless said placements specify an engineering degree, you have nothing to lose other than the time it takes to apply by applying to them. But given how fixated you seem to be on "job function", methinks you're misunderstanding something, somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending