The Student Room Group

How to get more girls interested in physics?

What do you think schools could do to get more girls studying or at least consider studying physics? I'm thinking of starting a physics club for girls at my school and would appreciate any ideas:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

less maths would be nice.
Original post by ChemistryIsBest

less maths in alevel physics!? I dont think thats possible
Original post by leopard923
What do you think schools could do to get more girls studying or at least consider studying physics? I'm thinking of starting a physics club for girls at my school and would appreciate any ideas:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of ideas, maybe prepare a presentation or even make a wall display based on womens contributions to physics to let gcse girls know that women have been successful in the past and its not just a male subject
Reply 4
Original post by DylanJ42
In terms of ideas, maybe prepare a presentation or even make a wall display based on womens contributions to physics to let gcse girls know that women have been successful in the past and its not just a male subject

That's a good idea ! Thank you:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will always find Biology better:biggrin:
Reply 6
What can they do? The option is there for both boys and girls and so they have to make their own choices and decide whether or not they want to take physics.
Good Physics teachers, that actually encourage them. :smile:
Reply 8
I wanted to take physics but my support teacher shot me down, as well there are significantly less female physics teachers than males - so a lacking there could be part of the problem.
I'm not sure, how many times do you see people makin a bath bomb in physics huh, stick to chemie ladies
Original post by CorpusLuteum
I'm not sure, how many times do you see people makin a bath bomb in physics huh, stick to chemie ladies

Nah physics is A1, if i get rejected from uni and take a gap year I'm wanting to randomly take physics at college lol.

:h:
Original post by ChemistryIsBest

Ironic considering your username, chemistry is FULL TO THE BRIM with equations, relationships and calculations.:p:U
I love that someone else is interested in this! Our schools physics department had about 40 people doing AS, 4 of which were girls. I think its a pre-determined concept, that girls just don't go for physics. Maybe even schools unintentionally encourage girls to go for other subjects. For example, a lot of the subjects most girls took clashed with the physics classes.

Also I think another part is that most girls don't go for degrees/jobs that require physics. For example, the biggest skew is probably engineering which often requires physics. So yeah society's influences most likely, because statistics show girls and boys are pretty much neck and neck grade wise in GCSE Science :smile:

I think the best way to get girls interested, would be to raise awareness by giving talks and more information about the pathways with physics, and to also get rid of the stigmas of 'female and male jobs' from an early age. Starting a club is an amazing idea, definitely try to advertise this around your school and get a lot of younger years to join!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Good Physics teachers, that actually encourage them. :smile:

Hot Physics teachers maybe?
Original post by Nuba123
Nah physics is A1, if i get rejected from uni and take a gap year I'm wanting to randomly take physics at college lol.

:h:

Lol I'm just kidding I do fizicks it's better than moles, I should hope I don't have to face one of those mole things ever again fukin chemistree
Lol I'm just kidding I do fizicks it's better than moles, I should hope I don't have to face one of those mole things ever again fukin chemistree

OMG MOLES LITERALLY THE ENTIRE SUBJECT IS MOLES!!!!

MY ENTIRE SCHOOL CAREER I'VE BEEN TOLD ELECTRONS RESIDE IN ENERGY LEVELS, AND NOW THEY'RE IN ORBITALS????

AND GUESS WHAT IN PHYSICS YOU LEARN THAT YOU CAN'T DETERMINE THE PRECISE LOCATION OF AN ELECTRON, SO WHAT'S THE POINT

loool ****ing hell:colondollar:
Maybe get the students to do practicals, so they're actively engaged in lessons and won't need to just sit there taking notes. This applies to every student, including girls.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rhaenys10
Hot Physics teachers maybe?

That helps too. :sexface:
Original post by Nuba123
OMG MOLES LITERALLY THE ENTIRE SUBJECT IS MOLES!!!!

MY ENTIRE SCHOOL CAREER I'VE BEEN TOLD ELECTRONS RESIDE IN ENERGY LEVELS, AND NOW THEY'RE IN ORBITALS????

AND GUESS WHAT IN PHYSICS YOU LEARN THAT YOU CAN'T DETERMINE THE PRECISE LOCATION OF AN ELECTRON, SO WHAT'S THE POINT

loool ****ing hell:colondollar:

Calm down . Wait I didn't know THIS INFORMATION WHAT MY PHONE IS ON 15% SO I I PLUG THE CHARGER IS THE ELECTRICITY EXCITING MY PHONE WHAT AREELECTRONS ARE THEY WAVES OR PARTICLES WHY DO THEY BEHAVE LIKE WAVES WAT IS LIFE

and that is a summary of fixicks
Calm down . Wait I didn't know THIS INFORMATION WHAT MY PHONE IS ON 15% SO I I PLUG THE CHARGER IS THE ELECTRICITY EXCITING MY PHONE WHAT AREELECTRONS ARE THEY WAVES OR PARTICLES WHY DO THEY BEHAVE LIKE WAVES WAT IS LIFE

and that is a summary of fixicks

One word: photons :bubbles:

yo that **** ****ed me up, I'm at that stage in school where chemistry is morphing into physics:bawling: the woes of advanced higher chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest