The Student Room Group

Hyms a100 2017

Scroll to see replies

We will start hearing back and getting interview invites from late November according to HYMS
Reply 21
Original post by nihil_nimis
We will start hearing back and getting interview invites from late November according to HYMS

Thank you for letting us know :smile:
Reply 22
I got an interview!!! I'm really not sure if there is another thread for HYMS or anything cos this ones a bit dead hahahaa

I got the email on thursday at around half 12. My interview is on the 8th december and it's my first invite i've had - i'm soo happy!!
Reply 23
Has anyone else heard back yet???
Original post by AZ98
I got an interview!!! I'm really not sure if there is another thread for HYMS or anything cos this ones a bit dead hahahaa

I got the email on thursday at around half 12. My interview is on the 8th december and it's my first invite i've had - i'm soo happy!!

Well done! I think your one of the first, I still haven't heard anything back yet I'm so nervous, good luck with your interview! :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by AZ98
Has anyone else heard back yet???

Congratulations!! So happy for you 😁
But I'm still waiting to hear back from them, however best of luck to you at your interview!
Reply 26
Original post by AZ98

Also do you mind letting us all know what kind of stats you have ?
There is another one
Original post by AZ98

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4329352&page=7 you may find this one a little more active! Congrats on your interview!
Reply 29
Original post by nihil_nimis
Well done! I think your one of the first, I still haven't heard anything back yet I'm so nervous, good luck with your interview! :smile:

Thank you!!

And don't worry, i'm sure you'll hear back soon - just try to relax now because when you finally get the interview you'll probably start panicking trying to prepare for it - well at least that's what i'm doing.... got just over 3 weeks and i'm sooo nervous!! I really don't know what to expect :eek:
Reply 30
Original post by ShanahanR
Congratulations!! So happy for you 😁
But I'm still waiting to hear back from them, however best of luck to you at your interview!

Also do you mind letting us all know what kind of stats you have ?

Thanks so much :biggrin: Hang on in there, you will get that email soon!
I'm already so nervous for the interview, i'm kind of in a state where i don't know what to do to prepare! That's stressing me out even more :afraid:

And yes of course:

GCSE's: 1A*,7A's
AS Level: AAAA
A-Level: A*AA

UKCAT: 763.3 avg, SJT band 1

Just your general hospital work experience, volunteering at a hospice and GP, also some voluntary charity shop work.
Reply 31
Original post by Orangeflower6
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4329352&page=7 you may find this one a little more active! Congrats on your interview!

Hahaa i thought there would be another one! Thanks, and good if you are still waiting to hear back!
Reply 32
Original post by AZ98
Thanks so much :biggrin: Hang on in there, you will get that email soon!
I'm already so nervous for the interview, i'm kind of in a state where i don't know what to do to prepare! That's stressing me out even more :afraid:

And yes of course:

GCSE's: 1A*,7A's
AS Level: AAAA
A-Level: A*AA

UKCAT: 763.3 avg, SJT band 1

Just your general hospital work experience, volunteering at a hospice and GP, also some voluntary charity shop work.

Oh wow, those are some impressive stats!
I know this is a long shot, but with regards to your preparation there are MMI courses being made available by the Medic Portal. They're officially endorsed by the Royal Society of Medicine and this course is being led by admissions tutors/ medical students and even current doctors.
The only downside is that it's rather expensive - £175! There are dates available until the 19th of December (I think).
You'll basically be interviewed in the same format as MMI with almost identical questions - the admissions tutor will then give written feedback on how to improve etc and you can discuss with them too. You'll be there for an entire day.
It may not be an answer to your nervousness but hang in there - you'll do great regardless :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Oh wow, those are some impressive stats!
I know this is a long shot, but with regards to your preparation there are MMI courses being made available by the Medic Portal. They're officially endorsed by the Royal Society of Medicine and this course is being led by admissions tutors/ medical students and even current doctors.
The only downside is that it's rather expensive - £175! There are dates available until the 19th of December (I think).
You'll basically be interviewed in the same format as MMI with almost identical questions - the admissions tutor will then give written feedback on how to improve etc and you can discuss with them too. You'll be there for an entire day.
It may not be an answer to your nervousness but hang in there - you'll do great regardless :smile:

Thank you!

Yeah i did have a look on the medic portals website at their interview courses, they are quite expensive like you said! It sounds really good, i just don't know if my parents will let me pay that much for it! :eek: I'm thinking of ordering some interview books instead, do you have any recommendations? I feel really underprepared, but those medic portal weekly blogs are helping me brush up on the latest medical news since i've been slacking on that recently! Thanks for your advice!
Reply 34
Original post by AZ98
Thank you!

Yeah i did have a look on the medic portals website at their interview courses, they are quite expensive like you said! It sounds really good, i just don't know if my parents will let me pay that much for it! :eek: I'm thinking of ordering some interview books instead, do you have any recommendations? I feel really underprepared, but those medic portal weekly blogs are helping me brush up on the latest medical news since i've been slacking on that recently! Thanks for your advice!

I just got my interview!! It's on the 15th of December at 10:50 am - ahhh I'm so happy 😁
I actually haven't read any books, sorry - but I think there are YouTube videos of "strong" interviewees for Medicine. That gave me a grasp of what sorts of questions/ answers to expect :smile:
Reply 35
I just got my interview!! It's on the 15th of December at 10:50 am - ahhh I'm so happy 😁
I actually haven't read any books, sorry - but I think there are YouTube videos of "strong" interviewees for Medicine. That gave me a grasp of what sorts of questions/ answers to expect :smile:

Ahh well done i'm so happy for you!! It's such an amazing feeling to finally see that email :h:

Yeah i actually saw a few of them videos, i've got a few in my bookmarks to watch! I'm looking at some blogs on medical websites that have loads of interview questions and i'm gonna start working through them and asking people to randomly give me questions.
Reply 36
Original post by AZ98
Ahh well done i'm so happy for you!! It's such an amazing feeling to finally see that email :h:

Yeah i actually saw a few of them videos, i've got a few in my bookmarks to watch! I'm looking at some blogs on medical websites that have loads of interview questions and i'm gonna start working through them and asking people to randomly give me questions.

Yes definitely!

That's a good idea, I might have to do that too. Oh, and a couple of HYMS students on a sepearate thread have all said that they recommend the ISC Medical Interviews 2nd edition book. It's about £23 on amazon and covers over 150 questions - you should check it out if interested :smile:
Reply 37
Yes definitely!

That's a good idea, I might have to do that too. Oh, and a couple of HYMS students on a sepearate thread have all said that they recommend the ISC Medical Interviews 2nd edition book. It's about £23 on amazon and covers over 150 questions - you should check it out if interested :smile:

Yes i've been looking at that book, seeing if i can somehow get it any cheaper from anywhere! If not i think i'm just gonna buy it anyway - it seems like it's worth it and i can always sell it off again later on. If it helps me get an offer then i'm up for it!
Reply 38
Original post by AZ98
Yes i've been looking at that book, seeing if i can somehow get it any cheaper from anywhere! If not i think i'm just gonna buy it anyway - it seems like it's worth it and i can always sell it off again later on. If it helps me get an offer then i'm up for it!

I looked at a few blogs too - there seem to be a lot of things we have to know beforehand.
Where else have you applied and where will you be commuting from to get to York ?

Quick Reply