The Student Room Group

2017 UCAS Apply FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by PQ
If they ask for it.

Ok. Thanks!
Reply 41
Can I put surf life saving awards on my UCAS app?
Original post by soph1198
Can I put surf life saving awards on my UCAS app?

No - they aren't recognised qualifications.

You can mention it in your PS if you have space or your referee can mention it.
Reply 43
Hii, just wondering if a university says they require BBB which is 300 ucas points. Does this mean as long as you get 300 ucas points its likely that you'll get accepted? e.g you get ABC
Reply 44
Original post by fs_
Hii, just wondering if a university says they require BBB which is 300 ucas points. Does this mean as long as you get 300 ucas points its likely that you'll get accepted? e.g you get ABC

No. Because they may consider that applicants must have a minimum of a B.

However, sometimes universities do allow a 1 grade miss on Results Day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fs_

It really depends. Results day is a very weird day. Some students get ABC for BBB courses and get in, I know of people that had also got ABC and got in to an AAA course (for MEng) and BBB for AAB courses. I don't want to give you false hope though so do try and get the best grades possible.

I also think I remember UoSheffield doing equivalents for some of their courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We just had assessments this month but I know I did really badly on one of them, meaning my predicted grade will be super low for this subject. What can I do if the Universities I'm applying for want ABB or BBB? Is there any way I can raise these grades before the January deadline? January is when we have mocks, but I know that wouldn't count....
Reply 47
Original post by Hannah_Vi
We just had assessments this month but I know I did really badly on one of them, meaning my predicted grade will be super low for this subject. What can I do if the Universities I'm applying for want ABB or BBB? Is there any way I can raise these grades before the January deadline? January is when we have mocks, but I know that wouldn't count....

It may depend on wether your teacher thinks your "bad" performance was a blip or a longer-term problem. All you can do is discuss it with your teacher.
Hi, I have just sent of my UCAS application to 4 Uni's with the:

-University of Sheffield (Economics with Finance) AAA
-City, University of London (Financial Economics) AAB
-Brunel University London (Economics and Business Finance) BBB
-The Manchester Metropolitan University (Economics and Finance) BCC-BBC

AS Levels: Maths(A), Physics(A), Chemistry(D), Computer Science(D)
A2 Levels: Maths(Predicted A), Physics(Predicted A), Chemistry(Predicted C)

I am also in the process of completing an EPQ on the Sub-prime mortgage crisis which I am predicted to achieve an A in (I'm hoping this will drop an entry grade for most of my choices)

My goal in life is to obtain a job in Front Office Investement Banking, through masters in finance at a LSE (provided I achieve in my degree course).

My question is what should I apply for as a 5th Choice and what do you think of my current choices?
Reply 49
Original post by Economist1999
Hi, I have just sent of my UCAS application to 4 Uni's with the:

-University of Sheffield (Economics with Finance) AAA
-City, University of London (Financial Economics) AAB
-Brunel University London (Economics and Business Finance) BBB
-The Manchester Metropolitan University (Economics and Finance) BCC-BBC

AS Levels: Maths(A), Physics(A), Chemistry(D), Computer Science(D)
A2 Levels: Maths(Predicted A), Physics(Predicted A), Chemistry(Predicted C)

I am also in the process of completing an EPQ on the Sub-prime mortgage crisis which I am predicted to achieve an A in (I'm hoping this will drop an entry grade for most of my choices)

My goal in life is to obtain a job in Front Office Investement Banking, through masters in finance at a LSE (provided I achieve in my degree course).

My question is what should I apply for as a 5th Choice and what do you think of my current choices?

Id suggest you email Sheffield explaining your grades/epq and see what they say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank-you I will try that, the Sheffield course was my upper limit anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm rejected
Reply 51
I'm wanting to apply to a few courses which have a requirement of:
GCSE Maths - A
GCSE English - B

The problem is that I only have a B in maths and a C in English. I do have a level 3 qualification in maths, as wee as a level 3 in engineering and an advanced apprenticeship in engineering. I am predicted D*D*D* for my Business course I'm doing now, which I know I will achieve. Also, I am 21 now, 22 when I will start uni.

The courses are 'Economics' and 'Economics and Finance'.

Do you think it is worth pursuing these courses or not? If so, what is the likelihood they'll reject me based on my GCSE's, irregardless of level 3 qualifications I hold?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by bbvii
I'm wanting to apply to a few courses which have a requirement of:
GCSE Maths - A
GCSE English - B

The problem is that I only have a B in maths and a C in English. I do have a level 3 qualification in maths, as wee as a level 3 in engineering and an advanced apprenticeship in engineering. I am predicted D*D*D* for my Business course I'm doing now, which I know I will achieve. Also, I am 21 now, 22 when I will start uni.

The courses are 'Economics' and 'Economics and Finance'.

Do you think it is worth pursuing these courses or not? If so, what is the likelihood they'll reject me based on my GCSE's, irregardless of level 3 qualifications I hold?

Thanks in advance!

Many universities reject people who meet the level 3 requirements but don't meet the gcse ones. I d recommend you contact the universities you are interested in first especially as a mature student.
Currently i have 4 choices but my 6th forms deadline is the 8th of nov and i'm seeing some unis past this deadline to get my final choice so can i add another option once i have submitted my application

cheers
Original post by citibankrec
Currently i have 4 choices but my 6th forms deadline is the 8th of nov and i'm seeing some unis past this deadline to get my final choice so can i add another option once i have submitted my application

cheers

Yes, you can submit four choices and add a fifth later.
Reply 55
Original post by Economist1999
Thank-you I will try that, the Sheffield course was my upper limit anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm rejected

I have Brunel and Manchester Met as well for similar courses haha, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
do I need to do IELTS if the IGCSE I did was 'English as a first language'? And I got an A in that.
Original post by human09
do I need to do IELTS if the IGCSE I did was 'English as a first language'? And I got an A in that.

You need to ask your universities directly. Some have higher restrictions on what they can accept than others - sometimes set by UKVI and out of their control
I have previously been to university two years ago but didn't like my choice of course and have been working since. I did my a-levels 3 years ago and got A* AAA. IM just wondering to apply would I need to do an access course or can I still use my ucas points I gained off these A-Levels (Using the new points system)?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by ..Amy...
I have previously been to university two years ago but didn't like my choice of course and have been working since. I did my a-levels 3 years ago and got A* AAA. IM just wondering to apply would I need to do an access course or can I still use my ucas points I gained off these A-Levels (Using the new points system)?

Thanks

You would use your A-levels plus any qualification you achieved at university previously.

How many years were you at university? It will affect your student funding for a new course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending