The Student Room Group

I had a baby in my second year of university - AMA

Scroll to see replies

did u stay at university?? what did ur parents say?? why didnt u have an abortion?? how did u know that u were pregnant??
Original post by cbreef
How many languages do you speak and what are they?

I speak a little French, but my interests lie in English phonetics. Lots of people think linguists know (and have to know) many other languages, but that's not necessarily true :-)
Original post by shawn_o1
How will you earn the money to raise your child?
How do you plan to teach him/her not to become fat?
What do you think he/she will become as a grown up?

Well I've been working since I was 15, so I have a little bit of savings, his dad helps me out voluntarily, which is fantastic, and I plan on getting a part time job while I do my Masters :-)

I think it's about encouraging healthy eating habits from the beginning. Although you can buy them, Thatcher doesn't have any baby desserts - I don't think a baby needs a chocolate pudding dessert, or toffee bread and butter pudding. Instead he has a fruit puree, but on the whole, he doesn't really have a sweet tooth, and every one of his meals has a serving of vegetables in it :-) I hope to be able to keep up these habits so when he has to feed himself, he will choose the healthy options he has been taught to have, and have treats as just that, treats :-)

I always picture him as a lawyer. Not sure why :-)
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I speak a little French, but my interests lie in English phonetics. Lots of people think linguists know (and have to know) many other languages, but that's not necessarily true :-)

Well... the word liguist does mean "a person skilled in foreign languages" so forgive us for not knowing this.
Original post by kaylababesxx
did u stay at university?? what did ur parents say?? why didnt u have an abortion?? how did u know that u were pregnant??

I did - I finished the first semester of my second year 37 weeks pregnant, had him over the Christmas holidays, and came back a month after having him. I'm in my final year now, and off to UCL for a MSc in September :-)

I haven't spoken to my mother in a very long time, but my dad was extremely supportive - he was my birthing partner.

Whilst I respect a woman's choice to have an abortion, it wasn't the right choice for me. It just didn't feel like the right thing for me to do. And although it wasn't part of my plan to get pregnant, I thought 'well, these are the cards I've been dealt, let's get on with it!' Then when I saw him on my first scan about five weeks later, I felt completely in love. He was so beautiful and I knew it was my job to look after him.

I kept being sick :tongue: That was my biggest clue!
Original post by cbreef
Well... the word liguist does mean "a person skilled in foreign languages" so forgive us for not knowing this.

Or it can simply mean somebody who studies Linguistics...not all studies conducted in the field are cross-linguistic :-)
Well done you. Your baby is beautiful and I wish you both well. X
Congratulations! I cannot imagine how tough it must have been juggling raising a baby with a university degree. You have my admiration! :h:

How did your fellow students treat you during your pregnancy? Were they supportive? How old is babby now?
Original post by CobaltRose96
Congratulations! I cannot imagine how tough it must have been juggling raising a baby with a university degree. You have my admiration! :h:

How did your fellow students treat you during your pregnancy? Were they supportive? How old is babby now?

Thank you so much :-)

They were so lovely! A lot of them were naturally surprised, but a few of them got me gifts for the baby, and they all signed a card for me which they sent to my house. I bring him up to university with me now, and two of my friends look after him whilst I'm in lectures, so the support has been wonderful. The university is great too!

He's 10 months :-)
Did you give any consideration to aborting the pregnancy, or did you know from Day One that you were going to keep him? It must be impossible to think of it now, looking at him I suppose.

Congratulations on both the baby and your tenacity in dealing with what must at times be a difficult situation. You must look at students moaning on about having to meet a deadline and think: "you don't know you're born" now!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by #ChaosKass
Wonderful name - Mrs. Thatcher is a true British hero.

No. Please no.
Hi!

Noticed an increasing number of young mums-to-be on TSR, and people who have faced tough situations during their degree and are nervous they cannot complete it, so AMA :-)

PS - I'm not going to answer any nasty questions, so don't waste your time :-)

This is a cute post :colondollar:

How are you finding it to balance university work with looking after your baby?
Original post by Reality Check
Did you give any consideration to aborting the pregnancy, or did you know from Day One that you were going to keep him? It must be impossible to think of it now, looking at him I suppose.

Congratulations on both the baby and your tenacity in dealing with what must at times be a difficult situation. You must look at students moaning on about having to meet a deadline and think: "you don't know you're born" now!

I did consider it, but I suppose deep down I never could do it. I was 6 weeks further along than I thought, so when I went for a dating scan, I expected to see a little blob, but I was actually 12 weeks + 5 days so what I saw was something that looked very much like a little human being, and then I knew that was my baby and I was their mummy :-)

I did consider it, but I suppose deep down I never could do it. I was 6 weeks further along than I thought, so when I went for a dating scan, I expected to see a little blob, but I was actually 12 weeks + 5 days so what I saw was something that looked very much like a little human being, and then I knew that was my baby and I was their mummy :-)

:smile:What a lovely post: you sound like such a caring mother, and he obviously brings you such joy. Best of luck with your studies and raising your little boy.
Thank you <3

I find it ok actually :-) I've only asked for one extension on an assignment since my son was born, and that was because it was due two days after he was born. Generally I start working on things as soon as I get them - a few weeks ago I had an essay done that isn't due until 4th December, so if my baby is unwell, or we want to do something Christmassy on that day, I'm not restricted by assignments :-) It's all about organisation...and working until about midnight :P
Original post by Reality Check
:smile:What a lovely post: you sound like such a caring mother, and he obviously brings you such joy. Best of luck with your studies and raising your little boy.

Thank you :biggrin:

He really does - best job in the world :-)
Hi!

Noticed an increasing number of young mums-to-be on TSR, and people who have faced tough situations during their degree and are nervous they cannot complete it, so AMA :-)

PS - I'm not going to answer any nasty questions, so don't waste your time :-)

What are you studying at Uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Kid is screwed.
Original post by Ayaz789
What are you studying at Uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Linguistics :-)
Can I have pictures of him please? Fangirling over him so hard.

Quick Reply

Latest