The Student Room Group

No social life

I'm 18 and very unusual to people my age as I never seem to want to go out.

I'm working full time now and most of my mates are at college or uni. Now that I am 18 it is legal to go out and drink but I've never been and I've been 18 for 6 months now. I've never gone to parties either and I'm worried about myself as I never want to go out.

I haven't seen my best mate in about 5 months and he dropped me a text the other night and I told him I would get back to him to tell him when I'm free so we could probably go to pub. I know when I'm free now but I won't message him I and I don't know why. I'm gonna end up alone in life and I just don't understand why I'm like this I want to be normal and go out for a drink but I don't want to go for some reason and now I've left it too long that I will likely embarrass myself in the pub? What is wrong with me I'm worried I'll never have a girlfriend. There's this girl I like who is a bit older than me who offered me out for a drink and I'm too scared to tell her I've never been so feel like I need to go with my mate but it shouldn't be an effort to spend time with friends. I just don't know what my problem Is.
It just sounds like youre an introvert/have anxiety
Original post by oZombiex2

I'm working full time now and most of my mates are at college or uni. Now that I am 18 it is legal to go out and drink but I've never been and I've been 18 for 6 months now. I've never gone to parties either and I'm worried about myself as I never want to go out.

I haven't seen my best mate in about 5 months and he dropped me a text the other night and I told him I would get back to him to tell him when I'm free so we could probably go to pub. I know when I'm free now but I won't message him I and I don't know why. I'm gonna end up alone in life and I just don't understand why I'm like this I want to be normal and go out for a drink but I don't want to go for some reason and now I've left it too long that I will likely embarrass myself in the pub? What is wrong with me I'm worried I'll never have a girlfriend. There's this girl I like who is a bit older than me who offered me out for a drink and I'm too scared to tell her I've never been so feel like I need to go with my mate but it shouldn't be an effort to spend time with friends. I just don't know what my problem Is.

Initially as I was reading, I would have advised you to actually go with your gut instinct and not drink but for some reason, it sounds like you want to drink. If you don't want to drink, then don't drink - it's a matter of your principles. I can prove everybody wrong at university - you don't need to drink to be a wild party animal.

Anyway, change your mindset a big maybe? Think positively. Let me do this for you....

This is a brilliant opportunity. My best friend has texted me 5 months ago; I've really wanted to get back to him and I'm finally going to be able to step out of my comfort zone at the pub. This is awesome because it's a new opportunity and furthermore, I'll act like a natural when I'm with that girl who invited me to have a drink with her. I know! I'll ask her if she's still on that offer and whether my friend can provide me with some tips - you know what I'm saying *wink*.

Or maybe a more assertive but still positive approach

I can use the meeting with my best friend as a way to get in contact again and discuss how things have progressed and how he is. Also, I'm not sure about drinking, but, I could invite that girl to a movie or something (Idk what I'm saying anymore lol).

I don't know what I'm saying because I'm trying to tell someone else how to think positively about drinking lol even though I'm very much against it.
Reply 3
Original post by Kiritsugu
Initially as I was reading, I would have advised you to actually go with your gut instinct and not drink but for some reason, it sounds like you want to drink. If you don't want to drink, then don't drink - it's a matter of your principles. I can prove everybody wrong at university - you don't need to drink to be a wild party animal.

Anyway, change your mindset a big maybe? Think positively. Let me do this for you....

This is a brilliant opportunity. My best friend has texted me 5 months ago; I've really wanted to get back to him and I'm finally going to be able to step out of my comfort zone at the pub. This is awesome because it's a new opportunity and furthermore, I'll act like a natural when I'm with that girl who invited me to have a drink with her. I know! I'll ask her if she's still on that offer and whether my friend can provide me with some tips - you know what I'm saying *wink*.

Or maybe a more assertive but still positive approach

I can use the meeting with my best friend as a way to get in contact again and discuss how things have progressed and how he is. Also, I'm not sure about drinking, but, I could invite that girl to a movie or something (Idk what I'm saying anymore lol).

I don't know what I'm saying because I'm trying to tell someone else how to think positively about drinking lol even though I'm very much against it.

Haha I've never been big on drink only ever had at home. It's more the social aspect to go along with it and I think it will help me even just going for a drink once before taking girl up on offer.
Haha I've never been big on drink only ever had at home. It's more the social aspect to go along with it and I think it will help me even just going for a drink once before taking girl up on offer.

Well, do you man. I personally think you should meet up with your friend, after all he's yo best friend - forget everything else.
Meet up with your best friend and have a drink?

Get yourself to go out, what are your interests? Do you enjoy playing sports? Join an indoor football or badminton club. Research clubs you can join, this could be anything you are interested in.
Reply 6

I dont drink but have been to pubs with others and i just order a soft drink. I dont care about peer pressure if i dont want to drink ill tell the others to **** off simple. You should be honest and say you havent been to a pub or if your friend orders something just say you will have the same as him no need to stress.
'Hey zombie what do you want to drink'
'Hey blah blah ill have whatever you're having im not fussed'

You are making this into a massive deal stop stressing and go out there ok.
Reply 7
Original post by chikane
I dont drink but have been to pubs with others and i just order a soft drink. I dont care about peer pressure if i dont want to drink ill tell the others to **** off simple. You should be honest and say you havent been to a pub or if your friend orders something just say you will have the same as him no need to stress.
'Hey zombie what do you want to drink'
'Hey blah blah ill have whatever you're having im not fussed'

You are making this into a massive deal stop stressing and go out there ok.

Thanks. I don't know why it seems such an effort to meet him since its my best mate I just hate being like this.
You might have Social Phobia. I have it. Was diagnosed finally at the age of 28, but I probably developed it when I was around 15 or 16.
you got to at LOT of self development to do boy. Just like I did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending