The Student Room Group

Which Critical Approach to literature is this? PLEASE HELP

doing AS literature and I've got to find out the name of an approach by examining its description and I've already got Formalist and Marxist for two others but I'm struggling with this one. I'll copy then description for you. Please help!

"An approach to interpreting literature strongly associated with the critics Matthew Arnold, A.C. Bradley and F.R Leavis.
Focuses closely on the text and ignores wider social, historical and political influences.
Interested in the moral values expressed in a text and favours texts which have a positive moral purpose.
Pays close attention to meaning and content of a text and is less interested in form and structure."

I'm quite unsure because no descriptions online that I've found agree with the description.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by LewisTindall
doing AS literature and I've got to find out the name of an approach by examining its description and I've already got Formalist and Marxist for two others but I'm struggling with this one. I'll copy then description for you. Please help!

"An approach to interpreting literature strongly associated with the critics Matthew Arnold, A.C. Bradley and F.R Leavis.
Focuses closely on the text and ignores wider social, historical and political influences.
Interested in the moral values expressed in a text and favours texts which have a positive moral purpose.
Pays close attention to meaning and content of a text and is less interested in form and structure."

I'm quite unsure because no descriptions online that I've found agree with the description.

Moved this to the English forum for you :smile:

Have you tried doing some light research on the critics named? It might point you in the right direction :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending