The Student Room Group

What are the best A-levels for an English degree/ journalism career?

I'm in year 11 and have to select my subject choices in the near future. I've always wanted to do journalism and write for the local paper.
We pick four subjects and drop one after the first term.
I have a rough idea of :
English literature
English language
Politics
History

Is this a good subject combination? I'm worried that politics and history are prephaps too similar and on some forums it said English language wasn't as desirable . Would classical civilization, German or computing be better options ?
Original post by lauren_mcgaun
I'm in year 11 and have to select my subject choices in the near future. I've always wanted to do journalism and write for the local paper.
I have a rough idea of :
English literature
English language
Politics
History

Is this a good subject combination? I'm worried that politics and history are prephaps too similar and on some forums it said English language wasn't as desirable . Would classical civilization, German or computing be better options ?

These are amazing options for someone hoping for a career in journalism. All these a levels are linear, apart from politics. Therefore politics would be the only one you could drop and still get an AS grade for. Politics in my opinion is pretty easy, and taking English literature and language separately is a better option than taking combined. Lit is really enjoyable, providing you're prepared to do extra reading! Good luck for your GCSES :smile:
Original post by rosie.mn
These are amazing options for someone hoping for a career in journalism. All these a levels are linear, apart from politics. Therefore politics would be the only one you could drop and still get an AS grade for. Politics in my opinion is pretty easy, and taking English literature and language separately is a better option than taking combined. Lit is really enjoyable, providing you're prepared to do extra reading! Good luck for your GCSES :smile:

I agree
Reply 3
Original post by lauren_mcgaun
I have a rough idea of :
English literature
English language
Politics
History

Fine subjects, if you want to make your life a lot easier then I suggest take Geography instead of History but History will help your writing skills a lot more.

Quick Reply

Latest