The Student Room Group

Is counselling actually useful?

well this is seeming like a distinct possibility lol so im wondering if it is acc worth it?
also pls dont move this to MH cos not allowed to post there ty

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sadly, not in my experience.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
can i ask why?

When I had it as an adolescent it was patronising and the people who did it seemed clueless and just not that good at what they were doing; it was very hard to generate a rapport. I tried a session of university counselling which was slightly better but they didn't really get to any kind of root of the problem, just had me talk at them for ages and it didn't really improve anything.
Reply 3
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
When I had it as an adolescent it was patronising and the people who did it seemed clueless and just not that good at what they were doing; it was very hard to generate a rapport. I tried a session of university counselling which was slightly better but they didn't really get to any kind of root of the problem, just had me talk at them for ages and it didn't really improve anything.

Thank you, the patronising thing is the thing that would stop me tbh.
do u think it would help for nightmares and anxiety?
It helps some and not others. It will partly depemd om you and partly on the counselor. If you rule it out beforehand then obviously it will be of no help and you cna go about finding a different solution or just put up with the nightmares and anxiety. Your choice.
Reply 5
Thank you, the patronising thing is the thing that would stop me tbh.
do u think it would help for nightmares and anxiety?

Dunno; no harm in trying I suppose.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
It helps some and not others. It will partly depemd om you and partly on the counselor. If you rule it out beforehand then obviously it will be of no help and you cna go about finding a different solution or just put up with the nightmares and anxiety. Your choice.

i have been putting up with it for half a year and would continue to do so if it wasnt for the input of other people.
It hasnt helped me at all because I feel like my counsellor doesnt realise how badly things are affecting me and she doesnt really look for the root cause, but I guess its partly my fault because im not a very open person
i have been putting up with it for half a year and would continue to do so if it wasnt for the input of other people.

This is how I would look at it.

I have a problem. it is affecting me.- understand why, then look at possible solutions. I would consider the solutions and try them one by one according to which I think would be most effective. If I ruled one out then I would have sound reasons for doing so.

Clearly talking about it works for some people, but there are different types of counselors and you need to hit it off with them. You also need to co operate and approach it with an open mind.

If you dont have a solution and you refuse to look for one, then you will rmeain where you are. That is a choice.

Personallu I would prefer to understand and deal with it, so it doesnt get worse and I could get on with life. Nightmares and anxiety sound dull.
Different things work for different people; we're all unique and work differently.

Recovery, or just easing symptoms, involves trying lots of different things. If you are willing to get better, you need to fight for it. You can't wait for other people to tell you what to do, or what you should or shouldn't do. It may be that counselling does work for you. It may be that it's something that's helpful once in a while. It may be that counselling helps you deal with a specific area in your life. It may be that you discover CBT is more useful to you.

The truth is, you do now know until you try! Try everything! If your counsellor doesn't work for you REQUEST a new one! We connect to different people and that's just how it is. More importantly ASK for help! Your counsellor can't read your mind. By saying I have problem with this and this, what do you think I should do? Is how you'll let your counsellor know what you need help with. Fight for the help you need. Try lots of different things, think about what's worked for you in the past and if it's something you can do more often. Think about how you can improve the stresses and different areas in your life.

The journey to cope better is hard and long.. but I know you can do it. Just don't stop fighting. Try everything until you find what works for you. :smile:
Original post by Davalla
True, it was insensitive. Got rid of it.

The Davalla who made that comment is gone now. He was in a bad place; we don't talk about him no more. The new Davalla requests hand-shakes if he upsets people, to sort things out proper.

lmao :shakehand:
Original post by 999tigger
This is how I would look at it.

I have a problem. it is affecting me.- understand why, then look at possible solutions. I would consider the solutions and try them one by one according to which I think would be most effective. If I ruled one out then I would have sound reasons for doing so.

Clearly talking about it works for some people, but there are different types of counselors and you need to hit it off with them. You also need to co operate and approach it with an open mind.

If you dont have a solution and you refuse to look for one, then you will rmeain where you are. That is a choice.

Personallu I would prefer to understand and deal with it, so it doesnt get worse and I could get on with life. Nightmares and anxiety sound dull.

that is true
i think ive finally admitted that i have an issue (@The_Lonely_Goatherd)
idk if talking works for me, i like talking to online people because they have that distance if that makes sense and atm i feel like everyone is asking me if im ok like 24/7 inrl and it is getting overwhelming so maybe just having one person will make things easily
plus they are paid to listen so it isnt like i would be bothering them

Different things work for different people; we're all unique and work differently.

Recovery, or just easing symptoms, involves trying lots of different things. If you are willing to get better, you need to fight for it. You can't wait for other people to tell you what to do, or what you should or shouldn't do. It may be that counselling does work for you. It may be that it's something that's helpful once in a while. It may be that counselling helps you deal with a specific area in your life. It may be that you discover CBT is more useful to you.

The truth is, you do now know until you try! Try everything! If your counsellor doesn't work for you REQUEST a new one! We connect to different people and that's just how it is. More importantly ASK for help! Your counsellor can't read your mind. By saying I have problem with this and this, what do you think I should do? Is how you'll let your counsellor know what you need help with. Fight for the help you need. Try lots of different things, think about what's worked for you in the past and if it's something you can do more often. Think about how you can improve the stresses and different areas in your life.

The journey to cope better is hard and long.. but I know you can do it. Just don't stop fighting. Try everything until you find what works for you. :smile:

thank you xx
It helps a lot of people. You do have to put a lot of work in yourself for it to be effective. You should try it with an open mind.
Original post by doodle_333
It helps a lot of people. You do have to put a lot of work in yourself for it to be effective. You should try it with an open mind.

What sort of stuff do you actually do?
like what happens in a 'session' and stuff? :redface:
What sort of stuff do you actually do?
like what happens in a 'session' and stuff? :redface:

Honestly it depends on what type of therapy you do and your particular needs.

Your first session will be some psychometrics (questionnaires), discussion about what you think your problems are, checking you're 'safe', discussing a plan for therapy and talking about family history.

Generally in counselling you might talk about some specific problems/difficult situations, how you feel and how you could make them better. You might talk through any trauma. Talk through feelings about yourself/the world (e.g. the world is not safe, I am a bad person) and work out where they come from and what the evidence against them is. If you're doing something CBT based you'll probably also have some behavioural tasks (i.e. challenging fears) to do outside the session (or sometimes inside) which you'll discuss coping strategies, how it went etc.
At the end of the day, it all depends on the individual. You should be able to get your hands on a free councelling session. You can't lose anything by going, so why not give it a try. I had councelling for bereavement following the death of my brother when I was 12 and it worked for me, when I wanted it to.
well this is seeming like a distinct possibility lol so im wondering if it is acc worth it?
also pls dont move this to MH cos not allowed to post there ty
If you get a good counsellor and you're prepared to do it, yes. Otherwise you might as well just write rude words on the wall.
I only tried it once and I didn't find it helpful. To be fair, maybe I should have stuck at it. But I found it very very awkward to be talking to a counsellor about awkward stuff for 60 minutes. Also, the only reason I felt I needed counselling is because, in my view, the problem was really serious. Talking to someone for an hour cannot solve a serious problem.
Actually really helped me to be honest. Sometimes you don't have anyone to talk to because you feel like youre burdening them and this can really help.
Reply 18
Bizarrely it can be. But for me it's about finding someone you have a rapport with. Then it can bring support, perspectives and coping strategies.
Original post by doodle_333
Honestly it depends on what type of therapy you do and your particular needs.

Your first session will be some psychometrics (questionnaires), discussion about what you think your problems are, checking you're 'safe', discussing a plan for therapy and talking about family history.

Generally in counselling you might talk about some specific problems/difficult situations, how you feel and how you could make them better. You might talk through any trauma. Talk through feelings about yourself/the world (e.g. the world is not safe, I am a bad person) and work out where they come from and what the evidence against them is. If you're doing something CBT based you'll probably also have some behavioural tasks (i.e. challenging fears) to do outside the session (or sometimes inside) which you'll discuss coping strategies, how it went etc.

Thank you that is very useful to know x

Actually really helped me to be honest. Sometimes you don't have anyone to talk to because you feel like youre burdening them and this can really help.

This is the reason that I'm not dismissing it tbh, I always feel that people have their own issues and are only listening out of courtesy whereas at least a counsellor is paid to listen ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending