The Student Room Group

Returning to Higher Education over a year since dropping out.

Hi,

I hope I'm in the right sub-forum for this but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So in 2012/13 I completed an Access to Higher Education course at my local college, which allowed me to begin a Flexible Combined Honors BA in English and Ancient History at Exeter University.

I completed this first year okay, however I decided to change my course to BA History, not really enjoying the english lit half of my course.

During this time I became aware of how difficult I find it to make myself endure certain aspects of the course; presentaions, discussions in seminars, group projects etc.

Eventually I got a diagnosis for Aspergers in 2015, my family and I had suspected I whad some form of Autism for a long time but it had never become as disabling as it did during my two University years.

During the end of my second year my mental health began to deteriorate, I developed insomnia and a drug problem.

Since then however I've had some time in a health facility, cleaned up and starting working again. So I feel like it's time that I can began considering University again. Only it's been so long I have no idea what I would need to do, or where to start.

Sorry for the long post but I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could give, or maybe someone who has been through a similar situation.

Many thanks

Daniel
Reply 1
Original post by CDaniel1990
Hi,

I hope I'm in the right sub-forum for this but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So in 2012/13 I completed an Access to Higher Education course at my local college, which allowed me to begin a Flexible Combined Honors BA in English and Ancient History at Exeter University.

I completed this first year okay, however I decided to change my course to BA History, not really enjoying the english lit half of my course.

During this time I became aware of how difficult I find it to make myself endure certain aspects of the course; presentaions, discussions in seminars, group projects etc.

Eventually I got a diagnosis for Aspergers in 2015, my family and I had suspected I whad some form of Autism for a long time but it had never become as disabling as it did during my two University years.

During the end of my second year my mental health began to deteriorate, I developed insomnia and a drug problem.

Since then however I've had some time in a health facility, cleaned up and starting working again. So I feel like it's time that I can began considering University again. Only it's been so long I have no idea what I would need to do, or where to start.

Sorry for the long post but I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could give, or maybe someone who has been through a similar situation.

Many thanks

Daniel

Have a look at student finance. If you've done 2 years at uni (and even starting a year and leaving part way through counts as a whole year) then you will not be eligible for student finance for your first year.
You can try to persuade the SLC that you had Compelling Personal Reasons that caused you to drop out, because of your undiagnosed Aspergers. To do this you'll need medical evidence that you were struggling at the time. Did you visit your doctor (or a counsellor etc) during your second year, and can you get evidence to show this?

You might want to consider the Open University instead. You'll be able to transfer credits, so if you successfully completed first year previously you don't need to repeat it. OU is study from home via part time distance learning.
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks for your post. Yes I did meet with counsellors and doctors, both at the university and privately, so getting statements should not be difficult.

I'll speak with student finance.

Thanks again

Daniel
Hey Daniel,

I can relate in the way that I dropped out of second year university with a drug problem that I'd picked up at school, only it got to the point where I just couldn't function.

Two years later, this September, I decided to do my a-levels in year at a local college. My grades were good the first time but I took different subjects and I just wanted to show them that I still 'have it' because there are so many stigmas surrounding addicts, reformed or not. It's hard with working at the same time but possible.

Now I have an interview at Cambridge for law ☺️ Anything is possible! As for student finance, you are eligible for finance if you didn't previously complete a degree and I just had mine approved so I'm not sure where the other person who replied found their info?

So, as a mature student, you could get into this UCAS cycle if you submit your applications before January 15th
Good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending