The Student Room Group

Unsure on my choices

So currently I'm in y11, mocks are coming up soon, and I've decided on my A Levels as they have to be done in a week. I've chosen Geography, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. The fourth option is only if I get an average A at GCSE. I'm worried because I hear how difficult Physics, Maths and Chemistry are.

In my A Level choices I'm currently on A*A*/AA7. My teacher insists being at a Grammar School I should be fine but I can't help but worry. Are those A Level's good choices based on GSCE? Because I want to study at Leeds Uni which requires AAB with 2 science's and geography for the course I want. And finally is four A Levels too much because the Maths is only there to back up the Physics?

Sorry if that's a long read :smile:
Original post by TMK01
So currently I'm in y11, mocks are coming up soon, and I've decided on my A Levels as they have to be done in a week. I've chosen Geography, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. The fourth option is only if I get an average A at GCSE. I'm worried because I hear how difficult Physics, Maths and Chemistry are.

In my A Level choices I'm currently on A*A*/AA7. My teacher insists being at a Grammar School I should be fine but I can't help but worry. Are those A Level's good choices based on GSCE? Because I want to study at Leeds Uni which requires AAB with 2 science's and geography for the course I want. And finally is four A Levels too much because the Maths is only there to back up the Physics?

Sorry if that's a long read :smile:

As long as you put the work in, you should be fine.
If you find that 4 a-levels is too much, you can always drop one after the first month or so anyway.
I took the same as you ( except Biology instead of Geography ) and dropped Physics after achieving an AS in it. I would advise against taking 4, there's no real benefit and it just creates more work.
Reply 3
Original post by Emma:-)
As long as you put the work in, you should be fine.
If you find that 4 a-levels is too much, you can always drop one after the first month or so anyway.

Thanks that sounds like a good idea, might just see how I get on.

Original post by HopelessMedic
I took the same as you ( except Biology instead of Geography ) and dropped Physics after achieving an AS in it. I would advise against taking 4, there's no real benefit and it just creates more work.

Ok, I might do something similar but drop Maths after a while instead, mainly because apparently its just the first unit of Physics where Maths actually helps.

Thank you both for the advice though
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TMK01
Thanks that sounds like a good idea, might just see how I get on.

Ok, I might do something similar but drop Maths after a while instead, mainly because apparently its just the first unit of Physics where Maths actually helps.

Thank you both for the advice though

Everything in M1 is covered in the first Physics module, so it helps massively to take Physics. I don't think taking Maths will help that much with Physics tho, seeing as most of the Maths in Physics is very simple, it's Physics that helps with M1 if that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest