The Student Room Group

Talking to someone online help

I've been talking to someone online. Is there any point in proving I am who I am if I never plan on meeting up with this guy...and he knows this?
How to go about proving who I am anyway in a safe way?

Scroll to see replies

honestly there's no need to try and convince them you are who you say you are.
Reply 2
Do a fansign (write his name on your hand or on some paper) if you're okay with sending selfies, but if you have no intention to meet, then I don't see a reason to prove your identity. :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by vexd
Do a fansign (write his name on your hand or on some paper) if you're okay with sending selfies, but if you have no intention to meet, then I don't see a reason to prove your identity. :tongue:

I'm not really ok with sending selfies tbh. So do you think it'd be a red flag if he kept asking how to know I'm really me?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not really ok with sending selfies tbh. So do you think it'd be a red flag if he kept asking how to know I'm really me?

It depends a lot on your relationship with him? if you're 'with him' then it'd be important that he feels that he can trust you, if you're just friends or working towards a friendship, then it's not a huge deal, has he proved that he's real? there's no real way to prove visual authenticity without using actual pictures of yourself, so i'm a tad stumped :confused:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by vexd
It depends a lot on your relationship with him? if you're 'with him' then it'd be important that he feels that he can trust you, if you're just friends or working towards a friendship, then it's not a huge deal, has he proved that he's real? there's no real way to prove visual authenticity without using actual pictures of yourself, so i'm a tad stumped :confused:

We're just friends. He's not exactly proved his real but he's profile pic has one of him. I'd be okay with sending a pic if I could time it but don't know how to do that.
Reply 6
Original post by vexd

Pinguuu

We're just friends. He's not exactly proved his real but he's profile pic has one of him. I'd be okay with sending a pic if I could time it but don't know how to do that.

How about you both facetime or skype instead? Add him on fb?
Reply 7

It sorta sounds like a random online friendship, which i honestly wouldn't put tooooo much thought into, do you mean "time" as in with a timer? because you can do that using an app.

I honestly don't see why it matters to him who you are if it's just texting? :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by chikane
Pinguuu

noot noot :h:
Reply 9
Original post by vexd
It sorta sounds like a random online friendship, which i honestly wouldn't put tooooo much thought into, do you mean "time" as in with a timer? because you can do that using an app.

I honestly don't see why it matters to him who you are if it's just texting? :tongue:

Op you listen to pingu he is young but very wise, you probably are texting a fat 40 year old man so be careful.
Original post by vexd

Yh as in with a timer. What sort of apps?

I honestly don't see why it matters either tbh. I'm thinking I should outright just ask why.
Original post by chikane
Op you listen to pingu he is young but very wise, you probably are texting a fat 40 year old man so be careful.

😂 well that's a possibility. It's good I keep the texting clean then. By now the 40 year old man would be bored to death.
Though really I'm pretty sure he's in his twenties. Could be wrong, who knows.
What exactly are you being asked to prove? You say you don't take/send pictures, so unless you're claiming to be someone famous I don't get what you could possibly need to prove about yourself.
Original post by chikane
Pinguuu

How about you both facetime or skype instead? Add him on fb?

I'm a bit of an online recluse tbh. I'd only facetime with someone i knew irl.
And I've never used skype, nor have fb.
I don't really want to do more than just text tbh.
Original post by sinfonietta
What exactly are you being asked to prove? You say you don't take/send pictures, so unless you're claiming to be someone famous I don't get what you could possibly need to prove about yourself.

I don't get it either. But he seems to want to know if I really live in the U.K. and if I'm really the age I say I am.
We have been talking for few months now so I can understand the curiosity but I made it clear that we'd just be friends online.
Until now, I didn't question who he was etc but now I am aswell.
I don't get it either. But he seems to want to know if I really live in the U.K. and if I'm really the age I say I am.
We have been talking for few months now so I can understand the curiosity but I made it clear that we'd just be friends online.
Until now, I didn't question who he was etc but now I am aswell.

Don't feel pressured to feed into his paranoia. It's his problem if he can't trust you on word alone. You definitely shouldn't have to prove yourself to someone you just casually chat online with.
Original post by sinfonietta
Don't feel pressured to feed into his paranoia. It's his problem if he can't trust you on word alone. You definitely shouldn't have to prove yourself to someone you just casually chat online with.

Thanks. So just ignore it :/
I mean I'm not bugging him to prove he's from US so he should get it.
I honestly thiught I'd made a good online friend :frown: oh well
What scares me is that he's taken to calling me sweetheart, beautiful etc. I can't remember if he did that before?
Reply 18
Yh as in with a timer. What sort of apps?

I honestly don't see why it matters either tbh. I'm thinking I should outright just ask why.

just put "timer cam" into the appstore or the play store
yeeeee, just confront him and drop him if he doesn't stop persisting :tongue: i get the same on kik and insta :h:
Reply 19
What scares me is that he's taken to calling me sweetheart, beautiful etc. I can't remember if he did that before?

the last person to ever call me "sweetheart" was my grandmother :bawling: but it seems like he wants more than just a friendship, considering the sudden need to check your identity and the cutesy names :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending