The Student Room Group

4th A level?!

Hey guys,
I'm taking maths, biology and physics for A level but I need to decide on a fourth. It's going to be out of:

English Lit
Geography
History
Chemistry

I'm not sure if I should take an essay subject or chemistry. I will also be doing this A level privately so which one do you think is the best in terms of learning stuff. I haven't done gcse history so is it a bad idea to take it? I'm looking into engineering or international relations/law so completely opposite courses. Please help me out

Thanks
I think you should go with engineering considering you dont have to do an exam for it so you wont have to spend too long on it meaning you can focus on your other subjects as they very academic
Reply 2
How come you're taking a fourth one? We're only allowed 3 at my sixth form :0
Original post by dee08
Hey guys,
I'm taking maths, biology and physics for A level but I need to decide on a fourth. It's going to be out of:

English Lit
Geography
History
Chemistry

I'm not sure if I should take an essay subject or chemistry. I will also be doing this A level privately so which one do you think is the best in terms of learning stuff. I haven't done gcse history so is it a bad idea to take it? I'm looking into engineering or international relations/law so completely opposite courses. Please help me out

Thanks

I'd say English lit to be honest, gives you a variety of topics. Plus I'm pretty sure in chemistry you get assessed on practical stuff, not sure how this would work out if you're studying it privately

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dee08
Hey guys,

English Lit
Geography
History
Chemistry

Thanks

Chemistry is useful for engineering (some courses/unis might even require it), so it will probably be best to take that. Not 100% sure what sort of subjects you would need for international relations, that may be worth looking into.
Reply 5
I would go for either history or English lit to expand your horizons and to also get you used to writing essays. I myself had a core three of maths, chemistry and physics, then choosing economics as my fourth A level (we're forced to do 4)
Reply 6
Original post by MattB_
I would go for either history or English lit to expand your horizons and to also get you used to writing essays. I myself had a core three of maths, chemistry and physics, then choosing economics as my fourth A level (we're forced to do 4)

I actually chose economics but I really don't like it and my teacher is quite bad so I want to change it. In english literature they're doing jane eyre and sense and sensibility. I don't know if those are interesting books or if I'll find it boring
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
Chemistry is useful for engineering (some courses/unis might even require it), so it will probably be best to take that. Not 100% sure what sort of subjects you would need for international relations, that may be worth looking into.

That's what I was thinking, but I think the work load for 3 sciences and maths will be quite big
Reply 8
Original post by littlemix012
I'd say English lit to be honest, gives you a variety of topics. Plus I'm pretty sure in chemistry you get assessed on practical stuff, not sure how this would work out if you're studying it privately

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is english literature interesting though and is it very hard
Reply 9
If you take Chem along with the three then you've combined the hardest A-level subjects together. Pick something based on your desired course that will benefit you in the future, this may include changing your 3 decided subjects as Biology and Physics is quite uncommon.
I think you'd find it harder to get into IR or law with no essay subjects. If you want to shoot for a top uni (and if you're doing 4 I guess you do) then I feel like they might dismiss you because your choices don't necessarily show an interest in that area. On the other hand, if you didn't do history at GCSE it might take you a whole to pick up the techniques you need, which would only add to an already heavy workload (don't be fooled into thinking arts/ essay subjects aren't hard work - there may be far more content for science, but if you don't get them done as soon as you get them, essays can consume your life.) Chemistry would be good for engineering though. I'd talk to your teachers, but applying for IR with three sciences and maths would be a risky move. I don't think English lit would really boost your application for either, unless you really enjoy it. Geography might be a good move?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dee08
Is english literature interesting though and is it very hard

English lit is interesting yeah! It's hard if you don't grasp the essay technique and don't read a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
mate i swear downnnn i've seen you on here before getting stressed out about a levels..............
I have a lottttt of questions for you:

why do you want to take a 4th? why not just stick with the 3 you have? don't you think its a bit late now to start another one up? sureley there must be a reason why you have to take it privately now - because ur college thinks its too late to change, right? do you really think you'll gain anything from doing a 4th a level now that the system has changed? the only subject i think shoudl be taken as a 4th would be further maths ebcause that's actually a requirement for some courses whereas a 4th a level never is.

consider ur options carefully boy.
also i've heard chemistry is really hard or even the hardest a level out there and it doesn't seem like ur that passionate about it so maybe u should do an essay subject instead

it will also look good because u will have a range of subjects instead of all sciences just in case u go for international relations or law
Reply 14
Original post by helpingbuddyxo
mate i swear downnnn i've seen you on here before getting stressed out about a levels..............
I have a lottttt of questions for you:

why do you want to take a 4th? why not just stick with the 3 you have? don't you think its a bit late now to start another one up? sureley there must be a reason why you have to take it privately now - because ur college thinks its too late to change, right? do you really think you'll gain anything from doing a 4th a level now that the system has changed? the only subject i think shoudl be taken as a 4th would be further maths ebcause that's actually a requirement for some courses whereas a 4th a level never is.

consider ur options carefully boy.

I know :frown: always stressing. I'm just worried I'll get to choosing degrees and I won't have the right a levels

Quick Reply

Latest