The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dkfalling
Know the feeling - there are so many expensive resources you can only take advantage of if you pay, it doesn't feel fair to those of us who can't casually drop £100+ on a one day course. That's life, I guess :/

one of them is 135 pounds for 4 hours? are they dizzy ?
lol
Original post by Lostperson
one of them is 135 pounds for 4 hours? are they dizzy ?
lol

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StationToStation
I've started but that's because I feel so inadequate and inherently bad at these kinds of things that I have to try to compensate lol

Hey, first year medic here :smile: It's still early days with interview prep, but some of you could get an interview in December!! (I got my first interview in November - was not expecting it at all!!) I started off with making sure I was up to date with current affairs (BBC app on the way back from college is fab) and preparing using online resources and interview books like ISC. I also went on some courses because I felt like I needed more practice especially with MMI stations which can be hard to prepare for. Practice practice practice! But don't worry about it too much - staying calm is key :smile:
Original post by eemooz
i know some unis offered MMI practise before, not sure if its the case now but it was like 10 pounds lol. It might be worth having a look at? 100 pounds for a one day course is ridiculous, even if its one on one

If you're considering going to a course I'd deffo consider how much feedback they would give on the day - some are soo expensive like 150 min for a group size of 30 and no actual feedback! Also don't feel that the more expensive a course is the better it would be - I went to a few last year because I felt so unprepared and honestly only like one of them genuinely helped (1:1 mock interview + MMI practice + v small group) and it was the cheapest, I think it's about 89 now for the full day. Last year the tutors (students) stayed behind at the end to answer more questions as well which didn't really happen with the other courses :frown: so honestly if you are considering a course and want extra practice, go for it! you will get your money's worth :smile:
Reply 504
Original post by imperial_medic1
If you're considering going to a course I'd deffo consider how much feedback they would give on the day - some are soo expensive like 150 min for a group size of 30 and no actual feedback! Also don't feel that the more expensive a course is the better it would be - I went to a few last year because I felt so unprepared and honestly only like one of them genuinely helped (1:1 mock interview + MMI practice + v small group) and it was the cheapest, I think it's about 89 now for the full day. Last year the tutors (students) stayed behind at the end to answer more questions as well which didn't really happen with the other courses :frown: so honestly if you are considering a course and want extra practice, go for it! you will get your money's worth :smile:

Can you tell me what this course was called please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimout
Can you tell me what this course was called please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was MedICU medicu.co.uk :smile: let me know if you have any questions about it
Have kings started to send out interviews yet?
Original post by Mimihxx04
Have kings started to send out interviews yet?

Nope, not until end of November. Even then though I wouldn't be putting my hopes on an interview just yet as they are notorious for interviewing people all the way into April. It's all fairly random judging by last year as there were people with 800+ UKCAT scores waiting until late January for a response.
Original post by studentsixth
Nope, not until end of November. Even then though I wouldn't be putting my hopes on an interview just yet as they are notorious for interviewing people all the way into April. It's all fairly random judging by last year as there were people with 800+ UKCAT scores waiting until late January for a response.

ohh right i see, that makes sense then! thank you :smile:
Original post by Mimihxx04
ohh right i see, that makes sense then! thank you :smile:

It also depends if you're an international student or not. The GEM course interviews in early January for all applicants whereas the A101 interviews internationals only in late January/early February.
Reply 510
It was MedICU medicu.co.uk :smile: let me know if you have any questions about it

thanks, will check it out :smile:
Reply 511

Hey, I'm seriously considering booking this for next week, can you just tell me a little about what the day entailed and what made this course so much better than the other ones? Thank your for your help! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimout
Hey, I'm seriously considering booking this for next week, can you just tell me a little about what the day entailed and what made this course so much better than the other ones? Thank your for your help! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

The day started off with going through NHS hot topics like junior doctor strikes and the arguments, ethics, how to structure answers etc etc basically the knowledge - but the best thing i found about this bit was that they would ask you interview questions on the spot, I found it really daunting at first but it reeallly made me think on my feet which is what you'd have to do in the real interview! They'd guide you and give you feedback throughout the course. There were MMI stations which really helped me prepare for my MMI interview like with timing (I didn't really know what to expect otherwise!) Towards the end there was a mock interview which was specific to my personal statement (they had analysed it before the course! other courses did it on the day/just looked at it briefly in the mock interview :/ ) They were all first years/second years max as well so all the advice was up to date (interview qs /styles keep changing so personally I found the older the students are the less helpful they are if that makes sense lol) You could ask questions at any point and they kept in touch with me up until results day :smile: Other courses were much more expensive and had much larger group sizes so they didn't really give me feedback (which is sooo important) :/ hope this helps! x
Reply 513
The day started off with going through NHS hot topics like junior doctor strikes and the arguments, ethics, how to structure answers etc etc basically the knowledge - but the best thing i found about this bit was that they would ask you interview questions on the spot, I found it really daunting at first but it reeallly made me think on my feet which is what you'd have to do in the real interview! They'd guide you and give you feedback throughout the course. There were MMI stations which really helped me prepare for my MMI interview like with timing (I didn't really know what to expect otherwise!) Towards the end there was a mock interview which was specific to my personal statement (they had analysed it before the course! other courses did it on the day/just looked at it briefly in the mock interview :/ ) They were all first years/second years max as well so all the advice was up to date (interview qs /styles keep changing so personally I found the older the students are the less helpful they are if that makes sense lol) You could ask questions at any point and they kept in touch with me up until results day :smile: Other courses were much more expensive and had much larger group sizes so they didn't really give me feedback (which is sooo important) :/ hope this helps! x

Thank you! I'll definitely book it today for next Saturday then 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 514
Original post by edasansel
Here you go:

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 12.23.56.png

are you an international student?
Original post by 11...
are you an international student?

Yes.
Reply 516
Yes.

no wonder why. st george's sort out the international applicants first. :smile: that makes me feel better
Reply 517
Yes.

because your email was referring very much to south asian applicants.
Reply 518
Original post by rohit5148
I got an interview!!!!!!!!!!!! Check your Kings portal peeps- I didn't get an email.

Congratulations, what are you stats?

Could you post a screenshot please
Original post by rohit5148
I got an interview!!!!!!!!!!!! Check your Kings portal peeps- I didn't get an email.

Congratulations!!! What time did you get it and when's the interview? So exciting omg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending