The Student Room Group

Does anyone else get royally pissed off about this?

Poll

Should benefits for the bone-idol be slashed to below what they need to survive?

The Government seem to give those on benefits enough for them to live a comfortable lifestyle. In the meantime, student loans, and support for those in genuine difficulties are cut to the bone.

In my opinion, welfare for those long term out of work (and are capable of working) should be cut to the minimum required to live, minus 20%, to ensure some incentive to get out and better themselves.

Its an absolute joke how some people who are not working can afford to smoke, go out and get pissed, whilst those who work hard see little support from the government. What a travesty.

Those who work hard should get more - those who can't be bothered to help themselves should be forced in to submission.

*note - those who cannot work for medical reasons should be helped - I just can't stand the scroungers who can work, but don't.

Really they should get nothing, until they show some desire to help themselves, and get up off of their backsides from watching Jeremy Kyle and drinking alcohol all day.

How the hell can they have a 'social life' on benefits?! There are hardworking students here who can't afford to do that. Makes me repulse.

Aren't you mad that your taxes fund this?!

Take their benefits away Theresa. Please.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

its ****, welcome to the real world

you can either join the system or start a revolution... or you can do like me and not give a ****
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
The Government seem to give those on benefits enough for them to live a comfortable lifestyle. In the meantime, student loans, and support for those in genuine difficulties are cut to the bone.

In my opinion, welfare for those long term out of work (and are capable of working) should be cut to the minimum required to live, minus 20%, to ensure some incentive to get out and better themselves.

Its an absolute joke how some people who are not working can afford to smoke, go out and get pissed, whilst those who work hard see little support from the government. What a travesty.

Those who work hard should get more - those who can't be bothered to help themselves should be forced in to submission.

*note - those who cannot work for medical reasons should be helped - I just can't stand the scroungers who can work, but don't.

Really they should get nothing, until they show some desire to help themselves, and get up off of their backsides from watching Jeremy Kyle and drinking alcohol all day.

How the hell can they have a 'social life' on benefits?! There are hardworking students here who can't afford to do that. Makes me repulse.

Sounds pretty bad if it's true -.-'
yeah. The amount of people i see on documentaries about this which include "ill" people on benefits who are obviously not ill is a joke. It's all around where i live. My mum and dad have well payed jobs yet they still dont get as much as them. Once i even watched an episode with a family with about 4 or 5 pets complaining they dont get enough despite they have a really nice home that is very hard to afford. They were saying "waah we need more, ends dont meet" and it was obvious they didnt need more money.

yeh it really annoys me too, if the government give them THIS much money, they're not going to want to work as they can live for free while others work their backsides off for them :/

Dont get me wrong, not all people on benefits are like this, there were some who were using the money to actually try and get jobs to feed their (only) child and i respect them, actually thinking of others. {dont get me started on the people who have like 12 kids just for more child benefits for alcohol}
(edited 7 years ago)
Just to add to this as well:

Often, as well as receiving a cushy allowance, those who refuse to work on welfare receive free housing, healthcare (including dentistry) and council tax.

Is there any point in anyone doing anything these days?
Original post by Toasticide
yeah. The amount of people i see on documentaries about this which include "ill" people on benefits who are obviously not ill is a joke. It's all around where i live. My mum and dad have well payed jobs yet they still dont get as much as them. Once i even watched an episode with a family with about 4 or 5 pets complaining they dont get enough despite they have a really nice home that is very hard to afford. They were saying "waah we need more, ends dont meet" and it was obvious they didnt need more money.

yeh it really annoys me too, if the government give them THIS much money, they're not going to want to work as they can live for free while others work their backsides off for them :/

It's just not fair for those who do want to work hard and better themselves!

It must be very easy to become complacent receiving so much support for doing very little - these people will never have any incentive to better themselves.

Why work 40+ hours per week, when someone can get the same money staying on their government funded home all day?!
Original post by will'o'wisp
Sounds pretty bad if it's true -.-'

It really is! You would be amazed at the numbers (of perfectly healthy people) who will never work again. They have became so complacent getting everything handed to them, why would they? Even their dentistry care is free?!

Students, who often have little left after their accommodation has been paid for have to pay for their own dental examinations (amongst many others!!).
Reply 7

I resorted to applying for benefits late last year. After having spent two years working my balls to the bone at trying to find a job, I conceded and went for help. Yes, I needed the money. Not gonna lie.

I can work, but I never have. Not because I can't be arsed, but because of actual reasons that aren't worth going into here. When I ended up publishing a book, it was someting I did on the off-chance that it went somewhere and something I'd written because otherwise I'd've gone crazy. Are you now going to say that I should have spent all that time applying for yet more jobs I knew I wasn't going to get as well?

Are you saying people like me shouldn't be supported, even though they break their balls trying to get somewhere?
Your username and this thread seem to be at odds with one another.
Original post by Tootles
I resorted to applying for benefits late last year. After having spent two years working my balls to the bone at trying to find a job, I conceded and went for help. Yes, I needed the money. Not gonna lie.

I can work, but I never have. Not because I can't be arsed, but because of actual reasons that aren't worth going into here. When I ended up publishing a book, it was someting I did on the off-chance that it went somewhere and something I'd written because otherwise I'd've gone crazy. Are you now going to say that I should have spent all that time applying for yet more jobs I knew I wasn't going to get as well?

Are you saying people like me shouldn't be supported, even though they break their balls trying to get somewhere?

As I said, there are many people who do receive help for the right reasons. They want to better themselves, and do everything they can to do so. They are proactive, not reactive. Those with genuine medical reasons that pose a barrier to their employment prospects should of course be fully supported.

My post is directed at those who very much can work (and often reject job offers), but choose not to.
Original post by Reality Check
Your username and this thread seem to be at odds with one another.

Perhaps you might need a Reality Check too.

Where will those who refuse work ever find an incentive to better themselves, if they are continually very generously supported?

How long can this be sustained for, and for how many people (The attitude: well if he can get so much, so can I ...)?

Who pays? You? Me? Our Parents?

Perhaps you should offer to directly keep a benefit claimant who refuses to work in a lavish lifestyle? Then you'll get your Reality Check.
Perhaps you might need a Reality Check too.

Where will those who refuse work ever find an incentive to better themselves, if they are continually very generously supported?

How long can this be sustained for, and for how many people (The attitude: well if he can get so much, so can I ...)?

Who pays? You? Me? Our Parents?

Perhaps you should offer to directly keep a benefit claimant who refuses to work in a lavish lifestyle? Then you'll get your Reality Check.

If you stopped for breath before replying, you might have noticed that I didn't actually say that I disagreed with you... But you were too busy angrily typing, weren't you?

You'll get better answers to your thread if you take the time to read responses properly before firing off a reply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
If you stopped for breath before replying, you might have noticed that I didn't actually say that I disagreed with you... But you were too busy angrily typing, weren't you?

Sorry if my reply seemed harsh. Touchy subject for me.
Reply 13
thing that annoys me more is that there are people who are so disabled that they need around the clock constant supervision yet theses are the ones who are always being put through the mill whilst families who chose to have several children get lifelong benefits without any problems!
Reply 14
Wouldn't say 200 something quid a month is enough to live on.

most people earn benefits get next to nothing in reality.
It's actually harder to filter than it looks. I've been in one of these disability assesssment centres. As soon as people walk through the door, they try and make themselves seem as crazy as possible. They start getting their crutches out limping, shouting, being obstructive etc. Short of spying on these people, it's impossible to filter who really needs the money and who doesn't. The people who lose out are the people who are modest about their disability. So it's a competition to see who's the craziest.
Original post by dailymailisaliar
perhaps you might need a reality check too.

How long can this be sustained for, and for how many people (the attitude: Well if he can get so much, so can i ...)?

Who pays? You? Me? Our parents?

Perhaps you should offer to directly keep a benefit claimant who refuses to work in a lavish lifestyle? Then you'll get your reality check.

aka lets create homeless people
Original post by BobBobson
It's actually harder to filter than it looks. I've been in one of these disability assesssment centres. As soon as people walk through the door, they try and make themselves seem as crazy as possible. They start getting their crutches out limping, shouting, being obstructive etc. Short of spying on these people, it's impossible to filter who really needs the money and who doesn't. The people who lose out are the people who are modest about their disability. So it's a competition to see who's the craziest.

my dad had one after his heart attack, they used everything they could against him. in the documents there were irrelevant things like ' he was dressed well, he was able to give answers by himself, he was carrying a plastic bag'.... A PLASTIC BAG! ffs those things are as light as a feather! why on earth would they use that against him? so basically if you are not rocking back and forth, badly dressed, slurring your speech, half dead and unable to stand up unaided you are pretty much considered 'not sick'.

Explains why alcoholics and drug addicts always seem to be on benefits with no problems. so damn annoying
I understand where the OP is coming from but i'll say this. I doubt there will be one single person on this forum who will not be in need of help at some point in their lives. There will be very few people lucky enough to be in employment from the day they leave school/college/university to the day they retire. It would be almost unheard of if those people, when unemployed, were to find a job a week later. Everybody's situation is different. You can't criticise and generalise a whole section of society.

When people talk about politics when I don't gaf... no

When people think they're some sort of political genius/mastermind when they talk Mr.DT and Brexit ****
Yes - I would like to strangle them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending