The Student Room Group

EPQ help?

So, originally I was doing the causes of the French Revolution. I thought that that was a bit generic and I'd rather focus more on the Enlightenment. I've decided instead to talk about the influences four Philosophers had on the French Revolution. Montesquieu, Voltaire, Rosseau and Diderot. I've thought about assessing their works and which one was most important for the French Revolution. I don't know. That's why I've come here. I also can't think of a good title.

If it means anything I want to do History at University and I'm aiming for an A* in all of my A-Level subjects, including EPQ.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
So, originally I was doing the causes of the French Revolution. I thought that that was a bit generic and I'd rather focus more on the Enlightenment. I've decided instead to talk about the influences four Philosophers had on the French Revolution. Montesquieu, Voltaire, Rosseau and Diderot. I've thought about assessing their works and which one was most important for the French Revolution. I don't know. That's why I've come here. I also can't think of a good title.

If it means anything I want to do History at University and I'm aiming for an A* in all of my A-Level subjects, including EPQ.

That's a really good topic with a lot of implications on current political and social thought that goes beyond the French Revolution. However, I am curious to know how you are thinking of structuring this paper? And are you thinking of writing this more as a comparison or as an cause, effect and implications thing?
Original post by wolfmoon88
That's a really good topic with a lot of implications on current political and social thought that goes beyond the French Revolution. However, I am curious to know how you are thinking of structuring this paper? And are you thinking of writing this more as a comparison or as an cause, effect and implications thing?

I honestly don't know. I think that's where my issue lies. I thought about looking into the growing radicalism, but I don't know if I'd need a whole part on French Revolution radicalism or what. I've currently just got 2,000 words on what the enlightenment was and what Montesquieu believed in. Something is definitely missing, but my supervisor is pretty rubbish so I've no help there.
I honestly don't know. I think that's where my issue lies. I thought about looking into the growing radicalism, but I don't know if I'd need a whole part on French Revolution radicalism or what. I've currently just got 2,000 words on what the enlightenment was and what Montesquieu believed in. Something is definitely missing, but my supervisor is pretty rubbish so I've no help there.

If you want to look into growing radicalism in modern day society, I think it would be more beneficial to look at recent French history with post-colonialism and transnational migration which would be a completely different direction. Unless you want to do a comparison with the French Revolution and the current trend of Ultra-Nationalist Fervour which is characterized by the political movements of Trump and of course Brexit. I think some interesting parallels can be drawn with these two situations. To answer your question, yes, you would need to have a whole part on French Revolution radicalism is you take this route. In terms of the historical content, I would focus less on the overall situation of the Enlightenment and more on the ideology and its impact on the French Revolution. I would also suggest looking into the American Revolution as an interesting parallel to what happened in the French Revolution and perhaps writing a section on that. If memory serves me correctly, Montesquieu's works had a huge impact on American government (more specifically the checks and balances three branch governmental system) Maybe you can also draw a connection with the impact of French Revolution ideology on the current state of American government and why these historical ideologies helped paved the way for the current political climate in America right now (of course this might be a more socio-political issue.) There are many directions that you can take this. I hope I helped somewhat with this long rant :smile:
If you want to look into growing radicalism in modern day society, I think it would be more beneficial to look at recent French history with post-colonialism and transnational migration which would be a completely different direction. Unless you want to do a comparison with the French Revolution and the current trend of Ultra-Nationalist Fervour which is characterized by the political movements of Trump and of course Brexit. I think some interesting parallels can be drawn with these two situations. To answer your question, yes, you would need to have a whole part on French Revolution radicalism is you take this route. In terms of the historical content, I would focus less on the overall situation of the Enlightenment and more on the ideology and its impact on the French Revolution. I would also suggest looking into the American Revolution as an interesting parallel to what happened in the French Revolution and perhaps writing a section on that. If memory serves me correctly, Montesquieu's works had a huge impact on American government (more specifically the checks and balances three branch governmental system) Maybe you can also draw a connection with the impact of French Revolution ideology on the current state of American government and why these historical ideologies helped paved the way for the current political climate in America right now (of course this might be a more socio-political issue.) There are many directions that you can take this. I hope I helped somewhat with this long rant :smile:

Thanks very much! My college only let us do 5,000-7,000 but encourage us to do 5,000 words.

So, how would I plan it if I looked at the French Revolution ideology and used the American revolution as a parallel? In terms of what I'd write and look at. Could I do an evaluation on the impact the enlightenment had on those revolutions?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks very much! My college only let us do 5,000-7,000 but encourage us to do 5,000 words.

So, how would I plan it if I looked at the French Revolution ideology and used the American revolution as a parallel? In terms of what I'd write and look at.

It would honestly depend on what you want to talk about because within this topic there is also sub-topics that you can go into detail on.

Some things that you can look at in terms of the American Revolution (I start with America because I am more familiar with American history because it is what I focused on), you can look at the American governmental system and the influence of enlightenment thinkers such as Locke and Montesquieu on the American Revolution and how this is reflected in the US Constitution. One thinker you can look into is Thomas Paine, who wrote the pamphlet, Common Sense. This pamphlet consists of reasons why Thomas Paine thinks that the thirteen colonies should advocate for independence from Great Britain. Thomas Paine attacks Locke's idea of a constitutional monarchy which can serve as a parallel to the situation in France where the complete overthrow of monarchy took place. You can also look into how Thomas Paine's ideas may have impacted the French Revolution (Interesting Fact: Common Sense was translated into French in 1790 which is in the midst of the French Revolution)

In terms of the French side, the thinkers that you focused on were good but I would add Locke into consideration as well. Although Locke is not a French philosopher, his ideas had an impact on the values of the French Revolution. I would focus on how the values of the French Revolution "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" is reflected by these philosopher's works. If you would want to talk about more of the social factors that may have caused the French Revolution in conjunction with the ideological factors perhaps you can highlight how these philosophers in coffee shops and meetings generated discussion and fervour among the populace which allowed these ideologies to be engrained in the minds of the people who rose up against the monarchy.

I am interested in what direction you will take with this paper :smile: personally I wrote a paper on the impact of Vietnam War on Star Wars and how the original trilogy is reflected in Cold War America for my IB extended essay (equal to EPQ but less words)
It would honestly depend on what you want to talk about because within this topic there is also sub-topics that you can go into detail on.

Some things that you can look at in terms of the American Revolution (I start with America because I am more familiar with American history because it is what I focused on), you can look at the American governmental system and the influence of enlightenment thinkers such as Locke and Montesquieu on the American Revolution and how this is reflected in the US Constitution. One thinker you can look into is Thomas Paine, who wrote the pamphlet, Common Sense. This pamphlet consists of reasons why Thomas Paine thinks that the thirteen colonies should advocate for independence from Great Britain. Thomas Paine attacks Locke's idea of a constitutional monarchy which can serve as a parallel to the situation in France where the complete overthrow of monarchy took place. You can also look into how Thomas Paine's ideas may have impacted the French Revolution (Interesting Fact: Common Sense was translated into French in 1790 which is in the midst of the French Revolution)

In terms of the French side, the thinkers that you focused on were good but I would add Locke into consideration as well. Although Locke is not a French philosopher, his ideas had an impact on the values of the French Revolution. I would focus on how the values of the French Revolution "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" is reflected by these philosopher's works. If you would want to talk about more of the social factors that may have caused the French Revolution in conjunction with the ideological factors perhaps you can highlight how these philosophers in coffee shops and meetings generated discussion and fervour among the populace which allowed these ideologies to be engrained in the minds of the people who rose up against the monarchy.

I am interested in what direction you will take with this paper :smile: personally I wrote a paper on the impact of Vietnam War on Star Wars and how the original trilogy is reflected in Cold War America for my IB extended essay (equal to EPQ but less words)

Wow thanks so much! Do you think I'd be able to sensibilly do the French and American revolutions together, then? Maybe the title could be "The impact that the Enlightenment played in both the French and American revolutions".

I could split it up into the American Revolutions and then the French Revolution.

I just need to think of sub-topics, I guess.

Hm.

I need to have it written up by the end of this term.
Wow thanks so much! Do you think I'd be able to sensibilly do the French and American revolutions together, then? Maybe the title could be "The impact that the Enlightenment played in both the French and American revolutions".

I could split it up into the American Revolutions and then the French Revolution.

I just need to think of sub-topics, I guess.

Hm.

I need to have it written up by the end of this term.

It would be extremely sensible to write about two revolutions that have a lot in common and definitely impacted each other in significant ways.

Do you have to come up with a Research Question and a Title or is your Title your Research Question? To what extent do the ideas proposed by thinkers in the enlightenment have an impact on the ideology of the French and American Revolution and how did these ideas help shape the socio-political climate in that time period that resulted in the French and American Revolutions? Perhaps a way to articulate a long and convoluted question about this issue.

I have to finish my first draft by December 2nd, and so far I haven't reformatted my essay yet... My advisor is getting slightly impatient :tongue:
It would be extremely sensible to write about two revolutions that have a lot in common and definitely impacted each other in significant ways.

Do you have to come up with a Research Question and a Title or is your Title your Research Question? To what extent do the ideas proposed by thinkers in the enlightenment have an impact on the ideology of the French and American Revolution and how did these ideas help shape the socio-political climate in that time period that resulted in the French and American Revolutions? Perhaps a way to articulate a long and convoluted question about this issue.

I have to finish my first draft by December 2nd, and so far I haven't reformatted my essay yet... My advisor is getting slightly impatient :tongue:

Our title is our research question, yeah! Thanks so much :redface: you've helped tons! I'll see what I can do. I think my supervisor is sick of me going backwards and forwards with ideas!!
Our title is our research question, yeah! Thanks so much :redface: you've helped tons! I'll see what I can do. I think my supervisor is sick of me going backwards and forwards with ideas!!

No problem :smile: I am glad I can help. Good luck on your EPQ and uni applications :smile: (Cambridge if I am correct since I see you in threads :tongue:)
No problem :smile: I am glad I can help. Good luck on your EPQ and uni applications :smile: (Cambridge if I am correct since I see you in threads :tongue:)

Yeah I'm always on those threads, the bants are good. :biggrin:

Thanks!!
Yeah I'm always on those threads, the bants are good. :biggrin:

Thanks!!

definitely, more so than the Oxford thread... :tongue:

No problem, with your grades I am sure you will have no problems :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest