The Student Room Group

Corsa VXR Insurance quotes over £3500?

Hey.

Currently I am 21 years old, and have been driving for 2 years. I have 2 years NCB too. I'm looking to buy a Vauxhall Corsa VXR but the cheapest quote I have gottten so far is £3700! Is this normal?
I've been googling on other forums and most others don't seem to be getting quoted this high.

Fair enough I do understand I live in a high risk area, (Manchester, M16). But is getting a quote over £3.5k for that normal?
Original post by BillyHH
Hey.

Currently I am 21 years old, and have been driving for 2 years. I have 2 years NCB too. I'm looking to buy a Vauxhall Corsa VXR but the cheapest quote I have gottten so far is £3700! Is this normal?
I've been googling on other forums and most others don't seem to be getting quoted this high.

Fair enough I do understand I live in a high risk area, (Manchester, M16). But is getting a quote over £3.5k for that normal?

Getting something sporty is always going to generate a high quote, especially seeing as you are still quite young (i.e. under 25) and have only been driving for 2 years. The high risk area doesnt help either. I didnt think they would be quite that high though.
What things have you tried to get the price down? Have you added named drivers etc?
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
Getting something sporty is always going to generate a high quote, especially seeing as you are still quite young (i.e. under 25) and have only been driving for 2 years. The high risk area doesnt help either. I didnt think they would be quite that high though.
What things have you tried to get the price down? Have you added named drivers etc?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I do understand that and I understand its not gonna be cheap based on those factors you listed. I've added named drivers onto it, said its parked on the driveway, and said my annual mileage is around 3000-4000. Yet the quotes are still sky high. I wouldnt mind anything around the £2000 region, but hard to find.
Original post by BillyHH
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I do understand that and I understand its not gonna be cheap based on those factors you listed. I've added named drivers onto it, said its parked on the driveway, and said my annual mileage is around 3000-4000. Yet the quotes are still sky high. I wouldnt mind anything around the £2000 region, but hard to find.

As well as all the comparison sites, try companies such as aviva, direct line and churchill as they arent on comparison sites. Once you have found the cheapest on a comparison site- try getting a quote from their website directly or phoning up as sometimes you can get it cheaper than through the comparison site. You could try and increase your excess slightly as that makes it cheaper (dont increase it to a stupid amount though as you will have to pay it if you have an accident thats your fault).
Hi, I'm going to move this one to cars and motoring. You should get more answers that way. Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by BillyHH

I know this is going to sound ridiculous but try raising your mileage. Some insurers will actually lower the premiums for 10,000 miles over 5,000 as I found out when insuring myself earlier this year. It's worth a try even if it amounts to nothing.

I believe insurers act on the principle that many people put a lower mileage than they actually do, so when they see a higher figure, they are more inclined to consider you trustworthy.

Give it a go and feed back!
£3.5K for insurance is, to me, baffling. You could buy a car for that.

Does it have to be a VXR now? If you waited for 4 years of NCB and a few more years on your age it would go down significantly.
That is a little steep tbh, car insurance is just a big scam really.
But for a car like that, i wouldnt be too suprised.
Id look for something a little less sporty for now and then go for that afterwards.
But thh there are better cars you can buy. The Vauxhall isnt a good option.
Id go for a MazdaSpeed 3, a lot better to drive, cheaper to run, better equipped etc...
Reply 8
Original post by FireFreezer77
That is a little steep tbh, car insurance is just a big scam really.

What a ridiculous statement.
Original post by IWMTom
What a ridiculous statement.

And feel free to explain why...
Reply 10
Original post by FireFreezer77
And feel free to explain why...

Picture the scenario you are out driving and run someone over, killing them - if we did not have car insurance, how on earth would you pay the seriously high damages? Do you have a few million quid lying around spare in case of damage to your own vehicle, or damage to others?

What if someone goes into the side of your car? Do you believe you should pay to fix it?

Quick Reply