The Student Room Group

Should gay conversion therapy be legal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lh030396
Clearly half the US population are idiots!! Anyway, it doesn't matter now. Under Trump, America is finished!!!

China has been caning America's ass for years now, and with all the anti-Muslim hate...ISIS will be striking the country from within. Worry about that, dont worry about the gays you homophobes!!!!!

And I'm supposedly the one who is 'stupid' and 'ignorant'. Good one!
Original post by Trapz99
I wouldn't say I'm stupid, to be honest.

Well, I would. Moving swiftly along...
Original post by Trapz99
And I'm supposedly the one who is 'stupid' and 'ignorant'. Good one!

I'm glad that we agree. Keep on supporting 'Great' America, it needs all the help it can get!! Nice talking to you sweetie...
Well, I would. Moving swiftly along...

I wouldn't. I am reasonable, while you are the one saying that I'm a homophobe and that half of America, the world's foremost economic power where thousands of scientific innovations have been made which have changed the way we live, is stupid.
Original post by Trapz99
I wouldn't. I am reasonable, while you are the one saying that I'm a homophobe and that half of America, the world's foremost economic power where thousands of scientific innovations have been made which have changed the way we live, is stupid.

The scientific innovators don't support Trump and don't believe that gays should be cured. You were the one that started it by making the ludicrous claim that half of America support gay conversion therapy. That's why I bit back b***h!!

It might not have crossed your blank mind but not everyone who voted for Trump would support the gay therapy thing. And it's not Trump who said it, it was that piece of s**t Pence...
It's ridiculous
It doesn't work
It's torture not therapy
People could be forced into it

Sounds like something you'd find in Saudi Arabia

But I suppose if you want to put yourself through such torture because of religion then okay.
The scientific innovators don't support Trump and don't believe that gays should be cured. You were the one that started it by making the ludicrous claim that half of America support gay conversion therapy. That's why I bit back b***h!!

It might not have crossed your blank mind but not everyone who voted for Trump would support the gay therapy thing. And it's not Trump who said it, it was that piece of s**t Pence...

You need to calm down, lots of foul language here.
Original post by Ladbants
Since the US election, it has emerged that the Vice President-elect Mike Pence supports gay conversion therapy. In the US, it is legal and is a gray area but the government does not fund any gay conversion therapies, although it does find Planned Parenthood.

Do you think the UK should start to legalise gay conversion therapy for those who want to do it? I personally don't see the problem- why not give people the choice to potentially change their life?

Is there good medical and scientific evidence it works?
How much does it cost?
Who is going to pay for it and if its not from new funding then what services are you going to cut to make way for it?
Original post by Trapz99

To be fair only a small fraction of a countries population contribute to scientific innovations in any way.
Original post by Trapz99
You need to calm down, lots of foul language here.

That's because I have absolutely zero tolerance for people trying to hide their homophobia and prejudice by claiming that they're making justifiable social/political/economic debate...
Since the US election, it has emerged that the Vice President-elect Mike Pence supports gay conversion therapy. In the US, it is legal and is a gray area but the government does not fund any gay conversion therapies, although it does find Planned Parenthood.

Do you think the UK should start to legalise gay conversion therapy for those who want to do it? I personally don't see the problem- why not give people the choice to potentially change their life?

Considering all the posters are saying there is no scientifc evidence it works, then I dont think any public money should be used. If it isnt illegal then there would be nothing to stop an individual seeking treatment privately.

Do you support it even if there is no credible supporting scientific evidence of its efficacy?
Original post by biglad2k16
Of course it should be. These people need help to turn around their lives.

Being gay is not something that needs to be cured.Its just a shame there is no cure for stupidity really.
Original post by Trapz99
It should be legal. We allow homeopathic treatments and Chinese medicine and stuff like that which doesn't work. There is some evidence I believe that supports various gay conversion therapies. People should be given the choice to make a difference to their lives if that's what they want to do.

Not sure that your examples equate to the torture of often young people that have been forced into the "therapy" by uber-religious parents who think that being gay is simply nothing but a choice. Even if it wasn't torture that went on during these therapies, trying to convert someone's sexuality is as ridiculous as the reason why people are against homosexuality in the first place.

It's absolutely awful that the next Vice President of the USA supports things like this.
Original post by vexd
Being gay isn't a condition that needs to be treated, your sexuality is a part of you and nobody should feel the need to change it with therapy. :h:

Same could be said for gender but we as soceity are open to letting peoppe switch genders.
Reply 54
Original post by blue n white army
Same could be said for gender but we as soceity are open to letting peoppe switch genders.

i don't understand? :confused:

there's nothing wrong with being gay =/= people shouldn't be able to change gender

changing your gender from what you were identified as at birth is NOT the same as being gay and feeling pressured by religion and family into getting conversion therapy (which from what i've read, is quite a traumatic experience, to the point where people who have had it say they want to die because of it)

i'm going to take a stab in the dark and say more people get gay conversion therapy because of community, parental and religious views on homosexuality being 'bad' in comparison to the amount of people who feel pressured to get gender changes

tl;dr: reasons for gay conversion =/= reasons for gender change :h:
Original post by user1214
you don't choose to be a fa99ot...

You clearly do choose to be an ******* though as you've quite clearly demonstrated.
It should be illegal for the same reason that drugs and euthanasia are illegal. Pretty much every reputable psychiatric association in the US warns against conversion therapy since it dramatically increases suicide attempts and alongside that increases the risk of developing mental health problems. Inducing harm upon oneself, regardless of whether it's physical or mental, should not be encouraged.

It also doesn't work at all.
Not everyone believes that though and some gay people want to change their sexuality or at least attempt to. Why not give them the choice to do so?

There is nothing to believe, it is a fact. The only reason some Gay people want to change is because of vile human beings and society being so anti-gay.
Absolutely not.
Definitely not.

This therapy doesn't work and from what I've learnt of it, it's horrific and can leave those who go through it seriously damaged.

People seek this therapy out as a false hope because they're being taught they're not okay as they are. The point isn't about free choice, it's that people shouldn't have to feel like they need to change their sexuality with this in the first place.

Also, the "free choice" argument does not account for people who may not want to have the therapy alone, but are persuaded/forced into it by family and such like.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending