The Student Room Group

Small bump on areola to dry skin?

I'm a 16 year old female with no family history of breast cancer (that I'm aware of). In August I noticed a small bump rise on the areola of my right breast and saw my doctor about it. He gave me flucloxacillin but I reacted really badly to it by vomiting after most dosages and so he told me to stop and didn't give me anything else. It remained there but in October I noticed my nipple and areola with dry skin on both breasts but I've been using E45 cream and it's cleared up on my left breast but not on my right. The skin becomes flaky and peels off and looks normal with a slight bit of redness but then the cycle happens again.

I have felt no lumps around my breast but Im really worried about this and I don't know what's happening. Has anyone experienced a similar thing and should I visit my doctor again?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 16 year old female with no family history of breast cancer (that I'm aware of). In August I noticed a small bump rise on the areola of my right breast and saw my doctor about it. He gave me flucloxacillin but I reacted really badly to it by vomiting after most dosages and so he told me to stop and didn't give me anything else. It remained there but in October I noticed my nipple and areola with dry skin on both breasts but I've been using E45 cream and it's cleared up on my left breast but not on my right. The skin becomes flaky and peels off and looks normal with a slight bit of redness but then the cycle happens again.

I have felt no lumps around my breast but Im really worried about this and I don't know what's happening. Has anyone experienced a similar thing and should I visit my doctor again?

Probably doctor again if not a different one if possible
Reply 2
Original post by will'o'wisp
Probably doctor again if not a different one if possible

Going to make an appointment to see a doctor in the morning, I'm thinking about it too much
it is best to see a doctor; not all problems present with lumps.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Doctor is your best option yes. They can do a breast exam to make sure there is nothing else going on and tell you what that is. Chances are it's some minor skin irritation that just happens to have appeared on your breast so don't freak out over it. Judging by the flucloxacillin the last doctor thought you had an infection. If that's the case it's probably an infected milk duct or something and anything like breast cancer shouldn't be a concern.
Just make an appointment to see a doctor and tell them everything you've said here (including what the last doctor said/ gave you). If it's going to take a while to get an appointment you could go to a walk-in while you wait for that appointment (still see somebody from your surgery afterwards). If it is an infection they should be able to deal with it and they can also check your breasts for lumps etc. Be sure to tell them that you had a reaction to the last meds you were given.

Quick Reply

Latest