The Student Room Group

Do bankers pay a 45% tax?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axion
We are talking about banks? Almost all banks in a good financial state pay dividends, and distribute most of their surplus income that way (the rest seems to be in regulatory fines at the moment!). Almost all banks are large as well, so whether it's private shareholders or public shareholders, the shareholders will get it.

Whether it's a bonus is irrelevant. You might as well say, why not pay hardworking employees more? The reality is that bonuses are performance-contingent for a reason. In downturns, they are more easily cut, and in bad performances, they don't get paid out.

It's performance-based, and generally speaking it is done fairly. Sure there are a few big cases where it hasn't been, but that's not down to the bonuses, that down to companies failing to properly manage themselves. Why should employees in accounting or HR get a sudden bonus coup when their performance does not directly translate into supernormal performance? They have far less responsibility in terms of the overall running of the bank, and heck, their work hours are far better.

You'r missing the point that bonuses are an incentive tool for high-quality performance. Top notch performance in HR or accounting doesn't add that much value to the company. Where the money is, in investment banking, high-quality performance can add tremendous value to the company.

Uh... for their hard work maybe? They are still absolutely vital to a company's success.
Original post by cbreef
Uh... for their hard work maybe? They are still absolutely vital to a company's success.

Cleaners are vital too, do they deserve a bonus for not bringing in revenue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cbreef
The deficit is something like £170b our annual GDP is what? $3tr or so?

Yes but our National Debt on top of that is £1.7 trillion or nearly 100% of GDP. In fact, the government borrows so much our National Debt grows at £5,000 per second. This equates to £28,000 per person or nearly £50,000 per taxpayer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cleaners aren't 'vital'... :colonhash: Companies could theoretically survive without them.
Plus, the work they do is very low skilled and easy to do.
Original post by azizadil1998
Flat tax is not ideal, it would only make income inequality worse by making people on low incomes most likely earn less and could easily have unintended consequences, and it would also mean the highest earners pay considerably less than what they pay now (even with the evasion/avoidance that goes on). Also, it's like price discrimination in a way, tax discrimination allows the government to attempt to maximize tax revenues from different groups of people, each of whom will have a varied ability to pay the tax.

High earners will have less incentives to avoid if a flat tax is introduced.
Original post by cbreef
Cleaners aren't 'vital'... :colonhash: Companies could theoretically survive without them.

so then why don't they? why does pretty much every mid-large company have private contracts with cleaning firms?
Original post by Jagwar Ma
so then why don't they? why does pretty much every mid-large company have private contracts with cleaning firms?

Saves from having all the employees do their own bit, so they can just do what they're employed to do.
Reply 87
Original post by cbreef

Ok let's think about it. Let's say there are two BASE CASE scenarios

An accountant checks the accounts thoroughly, does his job well, and there are no financial problems.

A trader brings home £750k in incremental revenue for the firm.

Upside Case.

The accountant does his job well and more efficiently, and there are no financial problems. He gets a bit more work done.

A trader brings home £1m in incremental revenue for the firm.

Which is more valuable when performing beyond their initial expectations?
'Huge excess' is a value judgement based on jealousy and not logic.

Well that’s ********. Logically, a builder contributes more to society and should therefore get better pay than bankers.

Original post by Ladbants
There is a larger supply of builders and people with those skills. The people in banking that are earning half a million are adding way more than that in value for the bank.

Do you even know basic economics? If there is such a huge supply of builders, why do we have a housing crisis? It’s obvious that builders contribute more intrinsic value to society, whereas bankers contribute jack ****.
Original post by Axion
Ok let's think about it. Let's say there are two BASE CASE scenarios

An accountant checks the accounts thoroughly, does his job well, and there are no financial problems.

A trader brings home £750k in incremental revenue for the firm.

Upside Case.

The accountant does his job well and more efficiently, and there are no financial problems. He gets a bit more work done.

A trader brings home £1m in incremental revenue for the firm.

Which is more valuable when performing beyond their initial expectations?

I'm not trying to compare the two. But both deserve a decent reward for hard work.
Original post by frankielogue
Well that’s ********. Logically, a builder contributes more to society and should therefore get better pay than bankers.

Do you even know basic economics? If there is such a huge supply of builders, why do we have a housing crisis? It’s obvious that builders contribute more intrinsic value to society, whereas bankers contribute jack ****.

Intrinsic value to society doesn't mean anything in the economy. People are paid based on the supply and demand for their skills, to put it simply. There is a huge supply of builders compared to bankers. We have a housing shortage because land in desirable areas is expensive and because there aren't enough incentives for developers to build housing, as well as an increase in the population.

'Intrinsic value to society' does not determine how much people are paid. The value to the employer does.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
How people like that can complain about tax is beyond me. "Oh I only made £143,000 not including bonuses last year, poor me" :angry: Love to see them live like the rest of us...

It's a point of principle. You work and over 50% of the value your employer puts on that work goes to other people.

You are essentially working for someone else.

How would you feel if you earned 40k but you only kept 18k?
Original post by yudothis
It's a point of principle. You work and over 50% of the value your employer puts on that work goes to other people.

You are essentially working for someone else.

How would you feel if you earned 40k but you only kept 18k?

Those 2 circumstances are not comparable. £143k = great life. 18k = barely making it by.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by frankielogue

lol
I'm not exactly poor. What attitude is that exactly?
Reply 95
Original post by Ladbants
Intrinsic value to society doesn't mean anything in the economy. People are paid based on the supply and demand for their skills, to put it simply. There is a huge supply of builders compared to bankers. We have a housing shortage because land in desirable areas is expensive and because there aren't enough incentives for developers to build housing, as well as an increase in the population.

'Intrinsic value to society' does not determine how much people are paid. The value to the employer does.

There isn't a huge supply of builders tbh. Quite the contrary -> the lack of builders is commonly stated as being a contributor towards increased building costs that housebuilders are facing.

That said, builders require an entirely different skillset to bankers.
You never answered the question but ok.
I'm quite sure they're pretty happy on their 140k a year. Why people aren't grateful for that is beyond me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cleaners are not vital.

If in my job where I serve customers and deal with minor issues I am not vital compared to my pharmacist, If I left he could get another member of staff to do it as it is a simple job.

If my pharmacist left we would not be able to hand out prescription, if the woman who does the labeling and sorting left we would not have our prescription.

Cleaning is a easy job and can be done by most people. Banking or more skilled jobs have fewer people to choose from with the right qualifications
The 18-year old wannabes who are on this thread defending these obscene salaries seem to be forgetting the point that even CEOs of most of the FTSE-100 companies recognise that there is a big problem with executive pay and the gap between top and bottom in their companies. If they're recognising it, then it's a bit fallacious for a sixth-former to be going 'nah, it's fine...they should earn £10,000,000 p.a. and bugger everyone else'.
Reply 99
Part of the reason why bankers are paid so much is because of the attraction of the work. Many roles have seriously long hours (65+ a week to 80+ a week). It's a young person's game for the best part, and a huge proportion of junior bankers leave within 5 years.

To get them in, in the first place, requires high salaries. You're essentially being asked to forfeit a good number of years in your prime ages, to work in the office.

The hours really are a key point. If I can earn £30k doing a 9 till 5 at an accountancy firm or £35k doing a 7 till 6 (at best!) as a banker, I'd be sure to choose the first option. Is that really hard to understand? There has to be a wage differential to get people in in the first instance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending