The Student Room Group

Nearly 26 still live at home with parents with a part time job

Hello.

I graduated at Plymouth uni with a Health and Social Care degree and managed to scrape with a 3rd.
Afer finishing uni i feel like i dont know what to do with life. I have applied jobs at different schools hoping to become a teaching assistant or nursery assistant. I get rejected because i dont have a level 2 in Child care. When i did my degree i was told i could work in a nursery or school setting.
I still live at home and still work at retail which i have been with them since i was 17 years old.

I dont know what to do.
I was thinkibg of changibg career but i dont kow what to do.
Original post by Skyt1
Hello.

I graduated at Plymouth uni with a Health and Social Care degree and managed to scrape with a 3rd.
Afer finishing uni i feel like i dont know what to do with life. I have applied jobs at different schools hoping to become a teaching assistant or nursery assistant. I get rejected because i dont have a level 2 in Child care. When i did my degree i was told i could work in a nursery or school setting.
I still live at home and still work at retail which i have been with them since i was 17 years old.

I dont know what to do.

Have you looked into how much the level 2 would cost?
Hello. At the school my son does a placement at they advertised for a Classroom Assistant. The advertisement said Essential; Level 2 in Childcare and Education, but preferable is the level 3. The Level 3 only takes a year and appears to be far more widely accepted by employers. At my son's college the fee for the course is £550. If my son were to do this course in the future he would get absolutely no financial help whatsoever and would have to pay the full fee himself. This is because he is currently doing a Level 5 course a HND. You only get financial help if you are progressing academically, not going back to a Level 2 or 3 course.
Original post by Skyt1
Hello.

I dont know what to do.

Do you read The Guardian every Wednesday, their jobs section? That might give you some ideas. You may have to do a post graduate course in something, i.e Social Work, Youth Work or something to be actually qualified in a specific job. This is a situation my son might e facing as he is in the final year of the H+SC HND, after doing the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in H+SC first. Doesn't know what he wants to do ultimately either, although he is interested in the idea of being a H+SC Lecturer at a local college perhaps one day.
Get a hobby. Work doesn't need to be the centre of your life.
Reply 5
You can always progress in retail by doing more hours and becoming coordinator and store manager etc (it will take time) but teaching assistant pay is rubbish. I'd stick to retail and do more hours, at least with retail you have more opportunity to pick up shifts.

You could perhaps do a masters?
Reply 6
Original post by Ishax
You can always progress in retail by doing more hours and becoming coordinator and store manager etc (it will take time) but teaching assistant pay is rubbish. I'd stick to retail and do more hours, at least with retail you have more opportunity to pick up shifts.

You could perhaps do a masters?

I dont think i would qualify to do masters as i got a 3rd.

I am on 12 hours contract and the company is cutting back. Not sure if i want to progress in retail.
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
Have you looked into how much the level 2 would cost?

I have and that means i have to wait next year to be able to do the course and find a secure placement. I see that as setting down from a degree that i did...
Original post by Skyt1
I have and that means i have to wait next year to be able to do the course and find a secure placement. I see that as setting down from a degree that i did...

Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward, unfortunately there aren't many, if any graduate opportunities out there with a 3rd. For most jobs that pay more than minimum wage you would have to get some sort of qualification unless you find something in customer service or sales, for example call centres can pay 14k+ a year.
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward, unfortunately there aren't many, if any graduate opportunities out there with a 3rd. For most jobs that pay more than minimum wage you would have to get some sort of qualification unless you find something in customer service or sales, for example call centres can pay 14k+ a year.

I
I see what you mean. Its a shame really.
Original post by Skyt1
I dont think i would qualify to do masters as i got a 3rd.

I am on 12 hours contract and the company is cutting back. Not sure if i want to progress in retail.

Hmm, no harm in researching I guess? I know retail isn't the best option at the moment but it's better than nothing.
Don't do a masters unless you need it for a job you want. Otherwise it's just a waste of time and only really serves the purpose of letting you put off getting a job for a bit longer as well as putting you into more debt.

Even if retail isn't your chosen career, perhaps try and switch to an organisation where you will get more hours. It will at least give you a better quality of life and help you save, then you can afford the Level 2/3. Look into being a learning support worker - my friend became one with a degree and no other qualifications.
Original post by Skyt1
Hello.

I dont know what to do.

Hi it looks like we both have something in common - I studied a Health and Social Care degree too but got an average grade.

I am the opposite when looking for jobs in this sector, it's all about experience nowadays (lack of it for graduates like us). Have you tried volunteering instead? This sounds cliche I know but I think you're more likely to enter the job when you have practical experience.

For me I just decided to do something different. I had a change of career direction due to the constant government cuts and I now work in recruitment in the Healthcare industry, specifically Nursing.
Most graduates think its a typical 9-5 office job but its not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending