The Student Room Group

How do I sit A level exams as an External student??

I have been contacting several colleges or sixth form but when I do.......all receive in response is they don't allow in external students or contact another college? I do not know what to do ? How do i get in only to sit A level exams?
Original post by Chazeyourself
I have been contacting several colleges or sixth form but when I do.......all receive in response is they don't allow in external students or contact another college? I do not know what to do ? How do i get in only to sit A level exams?

Your exam board should have a list of centres in your area that you can sit your exams at as a private candidate
So does this mean the only for me to sit as an external student is through my exam board? I never knew about that, I mean I have asked career advisers as well and I contacted colleges as they said. How do I this, through an exam board? Please!!
So does this mean the only for me to sit as an external student is through my exam board? I never knew about that, I mean I have asked career advisers as well and I contacted colleges as they said. How do I this, through an exam board? Please!!

What exam board is it?
Mine is AQa and you 've just saved my life seriously...the amount of time I could have wasted seriously...I m glad! I just entered the Aqa website and I've found out that there's a deadline but it still far away thank god... and only have to pay for fees....Thanks really!!
Mine is AQa and you 've just saved my life seriously...the amount of time I could have wasted seriously...I m glad! I just entered the Aqa website and I've found out that there's a deadline but it still far away thank god... and only have to pay for fees....Thanks really!!

Okay but you'll still have to contact the centre in question and pay the fees to them, which area do you live in roughly? They have a list on this page by area:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-support/private-candidates/finding-a-school-or-college
How come this is not even discussed? Tsr is a life saver!! Like seriously, it takes a few instances to find out USEFUL information about something that would take a lot of research and inquiry elsewhere:smile: :smile:
I live in the north west ! Thanks man!! You ve just made my day, for real :h::h::bumps:
I live in the north west ! Thanks man!! You ve just made my day, for real :h::h::bumps:

Me too! :five:

I do exams at Heathland School in Accrington and my practicals at Oldham Hulme Grammar school
Ooh so what subjects do you study?I guess since you do practicals as well must be science based isnt? damn...
One word of advice is be prepared to email and ring round many exam centres, as some of them that say they accept private candidates, in reality, don't accept anyone external. Of the three centres I called about entering exams as a private candidate (all were on the exam board's page that said they 'may be willing to accept private candidates'), only one said that they would accept me.

If anyone in the east midlands is looking for an exam centre, Alpha tutorials, near Leicester city centre, were really helpful, particularly if you're doing a distance learning course with oxford open learning :smile:
Ooh so what subjects do you study?I guess since you do practicals as well must be science based isnt? damn...

Biology and chemistry, hbu?
Original post by Siannyallen
One word of advice is be prepared to email and ring round many exam centres, as some of them that say they accept private candidates, in reality, don't accept anyone external. Of the three centres I called about entering exams as a private candidate (all were on the exam board's page that said they 'may be willing to accept private candidates':wink:, only one said that they would accept me.

If anyone in the east midlands is looking for an exam centre, Alpha tutorials, near Leicester city centre, were really helpful, particularly if you're doing a distance learning course with oxford open learning :smile:

hmmm thats going to be a problem to deal with tomorrow..but ill make sure to persuade them what advice would you guys give to stay on track, like to keep on studying?
The oxford open learning you talked about is great suggestion ,thank you... But can I still apply or is it late?
Im studying business but Im thinking of taking the whole A level and I want to take sociology As :smile: im trying to calculate if I'll be able to dedicate as much time for both
Whilst you can contact exam boards they won't tell you anything that isn't freely available on their websites. The only option is for you to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate. Not many do, so look at the advice on exam board websites and ring round. The prices also vary massively* so it is worth trying to find somewhere that doesn't charge the earth. The entry deadline for next Summer is 21 February but centres will close their books to private candidates well before that - possibly by Christmas - so get looking soon. On the upside Business and Sociology have no coursework which increases the number of centres that will accept you.

* The fees on AQA's website are the fees they charge the centre. The centre will add on a charge for their time, expertise, admin, invigilation etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
The oxford open learning you talked about is great suggestion ,thank you... But can I still apply or is it late?

For the courses? yes, I suppose so IF you're willing to put the work in. I'm doing an AS in French alongside A2 retakes in biology, chemistry and drama, and an IGCSE. Oxford open learning provide course materials and tutor support, but not exam centres.
You don't

Quick Reply

Latest