The Student Room Group

Introducing National Service for all 18 to 20 years olds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AperfectBalance
Utterly useless, so when I leave uni and want to finally get a job and do extra training to be a lawyer I have to go through a year of uselessness.

Terrible idea

Gaining experience of working with vulnerable people, people who have trouble accessing services or people who have capacity issues and developing advocacy and conciliation skills is in no way what so ever relevant to the practice of Law ...

might be useful to kick some of the arrogance out of you...
(edited 7 years ago)
Agreed. I'd add 6 months in the military to that as well. Toughen up all those spoilt little children.
Reply 42
^Katie Hopkins wannabe lmao.

Maybe some compulsory volunteering... but not a year or two of forced laborious work? To be honest, with the way the careers world is going, volunteering is practically compulsory anyway for a decent job.
Original post by #ChaosKass
Agreed. I'd add 6 months in the military to that as well. Toughen up all those spoilt little children.

no econmomic or social worth to enforced military service and it doesn;t produce trained soliders, also 6 months barely covers phase 1 training and short phase 2 training ... one of the reasons the Gap Yah Commission disappeared ...

some kind of Gap Year FTRS combined with a Reserve commitment - paid at normal rates but subject to standard selection criteria ; might be an interesting option as an alternative to a the social / community / emergency / infrastructure focused schemes that any revitalised national service is likely to be.
Reply 44

Omg go away you attention seeking *****
Original post by rolaah
Omg go away you attention seeking *****

You'll be number one on the list for a position in the Army then, if I have it my way. Typical millennial - resorts to throwing curse words at anyone whose ideas lie ever so slightly right of centre.
Reply 46
This sounds so much like mandatory military services (conscription) in South Korea.
Reply 47
You'll be number one on the list for a position in the Army then, if I have it my way. Typical millennial - resorts to throwing curse words at anyone whose ideas lie ever so slightly right of centre.

Lol go ahead you dumb cow
The state doesn't have the right to restrict people's freedom and subject them to forced labour. Conscription for military service has only been used when the state itself is threatened. Thinking that it will be good for people or get to some cheap work done for the government is not a good enough reason.
You'll be number one on the list for a position in the Army then, if I have it my way.

And how long did you serve for?
Original post by Drewski
And how long did you serve for?

I was in the Navy, I'll have you know.

I was in the Navy, I'll have you know.

I'm not talking about the random bint you're pretending to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending