The Student Room Group

Am I alone In disliking university?

I find university incredibly boring. All my lectures are recorded so there's very little motivation to actually go to lectures. I have great friends here but that's not enough to be happy. The only time I was genuinely happy was when I had a boyfriend, but after that ended horribly I've completely spiralled.
I worked full time over summer and felt much healthier and happier. But I'm doing a law degree which is a lot to give up'

I don't know what to do; I wake up everyday feeling depressed and lonely.

I've had some good memories and met some great people but as a lifestyle I really do not like it. I'm sick of studying.

I'm in second year btw.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I find university incredibly boring. All my lectures are recorded so there's very little motivation to actually go to lectures. I have great friends here but that's not enough to be happy. The only time I was genuinely happy was when I had a boyfriend, but after that ended horribly I've completely spiralled.
I worked full time over summer and felt much healthier and happier. But I'm doing a law degree which is a lot to give up'

I've had some good memories and met some great people but as a lifestyle I really do not like it. I'm sick of studying.

I'm in second year btw.

I'm in first year and I'm already feeling like this tbh :blushing:
1st year Law student here and feeling exactly the same.

I'm in second year btw.

[video="youtube;789O-vkIBSI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=789O-vkIBSI[/video]
[video="youtube;d685clL9oY0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d685clL9oY0[/video]
I think university is becoming too expensive and should be changed.
I can relate. 1st year Marketing student. Maybe too early to say this. Idk.
yeah, I'm in my third year, however, it goes very very quickly so try not to worry about it too much, hell, it's almost the christmas break already :smile:
I hate it. So thankful I'm in my final year.
Can I ask what people hate? Is it their Uni or the course? Or both?
Original post by markova21
Can I ask what people hate? Is it their Uni or the course? Or both?

When you are expected to read 50+ pages for every lecture, make notes and then consolidate those notes. And prepare for seminars (which takes 8 hours at least) and read in excess of 90 pages for each. Revise for the exams and constantly work on assignments. Moreover, when on top of that you have to do extracurricular stuff and be able to have at least 4 hours of sleep.
I didn't enjoy it too much at the start but settled in after a while :smile: #Moooose
When you are expected to read 50+ pages for every lecture, make notes and then consolidate those notes. And prepare for seminars (which takes 8 hours at least) and read in excess of 90 pages for each. Revise for the exams and constantly work on assignments. Moreover, when on top of that you have to do extracurricular stuff and be able to have at least 4 hours of sleep.

Which subject are you taking?
I honestly hate it all together, I enjoy my course but I can't wait to finish. I don't even want to do a masters anymore.
2nd year on a science course here but I feel the same. I started second year around the same time as me and my ex broke up, so I've been feeling even more down than I was last year. Not sure if it's the break up that's making me feel this way but I don't feel motivated in lectures and I feel like leaving halfway through them. I just feel like I don't have much to do anymore and no one to really talk to, especially at uni, I just stick to myself. I feel really lonely too and just spend a lot of time doing nothing or sleeping when I get home from uni.
I don't really know how to get past this but I think things will pick up when you start to get more assignments and more work to keep you busy. The start of the academic year always feels a bit slow and depressing
Original post by markova21
Which subject are you taking?

Law, and I am not even going to a top tier uni (just an average RG) for this workload to be justified.
Reply 15
Glad many first years are feeling like this too (I'm a first year btw). I feel lonely most of the time and seem to spend most of my free time in the library even though I still feel like I'm struggling to retain anything I read.
Law, and I am not even going to a top tier uni (just an average RG) for this workload to be justified.

>average
>RG

wut

Well I don't know anything about Law, except that Lawyers/ Solicitors work incredibly hard. They have to. I would imagine that the workload you are doing now for your degree is nothing compared to what it will be like when you are working in that profession.
Yeah I love my degree, but I hate the way it is taught. It's so restrictive.

Assessment after assessment, no room for you to actually enjoy what you're reading. It's just about strategically learning and regurgitating content with the intention of hitting those top marks.

Reminds me of a Tagore quote- 'A bird is caged and force-fed textbook pages—to death'
Original post by ckfeister
I think university is becoming too expensive and should be changed.

I think too many people are obtaining degrees from too many universities and they are becoming worthless as so many people have one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending