The Student Room Group

Economics Personal Statement

Hey!

I'm currently doing my PS for economics. I'm talking about a reading I have read and found interesting, however I was wondering is 'pound being one of the worst currencies' a macroeconomic issue?
Original post by bhfn
Hey!

I'm currently doing my PS for economics. I'm talking about a reading I have read and found interesting, however I was wondering is 'pound being one of the worst currencies' a macroeconomic issue?

I wouldn't bore the admissions tutors with tenuous and obvious issues.

Tell them about the relevant work experience you've done etc.

Also don't bother with the 'My A-Level maths helps me with equations'

Do not point out the blatantly obvious and insult their intelligence.
Reply 2
Original post by citibankrec
I wouldn't bore the admissions tutors with tenuous and obvious issues.

Tell them about the relevant work experience you've done etc.

Also don't bother with the 'My A-Level maths helps me with equations'

Do not point out the blatantly obvious and insult their intelligence.

ah right, so I wouldn't include stuff about my personal readings and my view on them?

I haven't really done much work experience, i've volunteered and assisted with financial aspects, and i'm applying to Economics and Finance.
Original post by bhfn
'pound being one of the worst currencies' a macroeconomic issue?
I don't think you're really in a position to be saying something like that, unless you have heavy evidence from wider reading to back that up. Don't talk about something you know very little about, that will just make you come across as a know-it-all (and they will know far more about this than you). Mention a book that you've read, what topic you found interesting in it, why you found it interesting, and how you would be well suited to be studying something like that. Focus on things that you can back up with evidence, rather than making sweeping (and unjustified) statements like the one above.
Original post by bhfn
Hey!

Best thing in my view is to not sound too much like an economic text book and incorporate things into your PS that make you different and stand out from other candidates as well as making it seem you are actually interested in the subject! Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Edsouthern
Best thing in my view is to not sound too much like an economic text book and incorporate things into your PS that make you different and stand out from other candidates as well as making it seem you are actually interested in the subject! Good luck!

It was from an article in The Economist, and would you say that me talking about it and what I find it interesting about it making it stand out?
Reply 6
Original post by JRKinder
I don't think you're really in a position to be saying something like that, unless you have heavy evidence from wider reading to back that up. Don't talk about something you know very little about, that will just make you come across as a know-it-all (and they will know far more about this than you). Mention a book that you've read, what topic you found interesting in it, why you found it interesting, and how you would be well suited to be studying something like that. Focus on things that you can back up with evidence, rather than making sweeping (and unjustified) statements like the one above.

It was from The Economist, does that count?
Original post by bhfn
It was from an article in The Economist, and would you say that me talking about it and what I find it interesting about it making it stand out?

That would be better than quoting it but it is very cliche to mention i read the economist in a PS for economics but maybe if you single out a particular article like you are saying and explain why it stimulates you could be good.
Have you thought about relating something in your everyday life to economics? This could be good as it can show a good healthy interest
Original post by bhfn
It was from The Economist, does that count?
You could maybe write your opinion on it, but don't regurgitate what it said. As the guy above me said, reading the Economist is a cliched thing to write about, so is there anything else you could mention instead?
Reply 9
Everyone reads The Economist. Maybe read a book on this issue (as you've clearly enjoyed it), and then you can say that you read this in The Economist, and then were inspired to read The Book. Then you can talk about what you're looking forward to studying.
Reply 10
Ah okay, All 3 above. It was an article in The Economist, and ill try to do some more readings about it in other books and mention that as well.

When i do mention it, would it be best to say 'My personal reading led me to an article in the Economist about the pound being one of...' ?
Reply 11
Original post by bhfn
Ah okay, All 3 above. It was an article in The Economist, and ill try to do some more readings about it in other books and mention that as well.

When i do mention it, would it be best to say 'My personal reading led me to an article in the Economist about the pound being one of...' ?

Do not use the phrase "outside of academia" unless you want me to hunt you down and kill you :security: So any way you choose to introduce it will, at least, be better than that.

The sentence you've written does sound particularly long winded. That's OK if you have the space to spend on it. But if not, you could simply say "I read an article in The Economist..." which says essentially the same thing but is more concise.
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
Do not use the phrase "outside of academia" unless you want me to hunt you down and kill you :security: So any way you choose to introduce it will, at least, be better than that.

The sentence you've written does sound particularly long winded. That's OK if you have the space to spend on it. But if not, you could simply say "I read an article in The Economist..." which says essentially the same thing but is more concise.

Ah okay, well thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending