The Student Room Group

Imperial College- Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usycool1
I remember when I applied a couple of years ago, got results and thought I would get rejected pre-interview. I'm now a second year here so don't write anything off until the last minute. Unless you score like 2 or something. :smile:

What about 3?
Original post by CutieTootsie
Ohhh looool but obvs your score wasn't a great representation of you because imperial wanted you!

What is first year like? Highlights? Pitfalls? Student life? (Be as descriptive as you'd like - I haven't managed to go to the open day)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was first year like... :tongue:

It was OK. The Medicine SU are very welcoming when you begin, and put on loads of events. There is a myth that Imperial isn't very good for social life but that's all it is - a myth. Well, amongst the Medics anyway. You will probably meet people who are like-minded to you so student life is what you make of it, really. Plenty of planned events throughout the year though, and you can always plan your own events if you don't like the official ones!

In terms of work, it's not as easy as some people make it out to be tbh. At the same time, however, it's not as bad as others will make it out to be. You have lab reports that count towards your BSc mark in Year 4 (a very small contribution IIRC, but they still count nonetheless) and a few silly essays to do (not to mention the wretched PBL write up) so it can get quite hectic. I have heard that they are changing it a little to make it a bit less hectic for the current Year 1's, however, so it may well change for when you join!

In term 1, you have Molecules, Cells and Disease and most of that is just a bit of a recap to A-Level Biology with a bit more depth. It's not particularly interesting IMO, and not that fun to revise for but there we go. You also have society and health and epidemiology which you will almost certainly hate. Then you have Life Cycle and Regulatory Systems in terms 2 which, in year 1, is just a bit of endocrinology (which I promise you, you will love) and very basic neuroscience. You also start Life Cycle and Regulatory Systems which is very packed - cardiovascular system, respiratory system (which will make you go wtf), gastrointestinal and urinary (renal). You also have anatomy of thorax, abdomen and pelvis with dissection. Personally, I find dissection and anatomy very boring but there are others who love it.

You also have a bit of PBL. You will either love it or hate it. I loved it because our facilitator was very relaxed so our scheduled 3 hour sessions would finish in literally 10 minutes and we could go home and sleep. :tongue: You have some patient visits you have to make throughout the year to a patient's house just to have a chat with them about stuff. I enjoyed it but I don't think it really teaches you that much. Some clinical communication sessions where they basically film you talking to a patient and you watch it back and they critique you, but it's only formative.

Pitfalls...I guess these would apply to any Medical School really but make sure you seriously keep on top of your work. You also only need 50% or so to pass and I don't think it's possible to go into any exam feeling as though you know all the content purely because of the sheer volume of it all.

Also, all the info I've given is true for when I was a first year - it may change for you guys. They're constantly asking for feedback to improve things (and they do listen).

Original post by GradeAMerchant
If you can remember, how long did it take you to hear back from Imperial after the BMAT results were published?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Less than a week after IIRC.

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
What about 3?

Or a 3. :tongue:
What was first year like... :tongue:

It was OK. The Medicine SU are very welcoming when you begin, and put on loads of events. There is a myth that Imperial isn't very good for social life but that's all it is - a myth. Well, amongst the Medics anyway. You will probably meet people who are like-minded to you so student life is what you make of it, really. Plenty of planned events throughout the year though, and you can always plan your own events if you don't like the official ones!

In terms of work, it's not as easy as some people make it out to be tbh. At the same time, however, it's not as bad as others will make it out to be. You have lab reports that count towards your BSc mark in Year 4 (a very small contribution IIRC, but they still count nonetheless) and a few silly essays to do (not to mention the wretched PBL write up) so it can get quite hectic. I have heard that they are changing it a little to make it a bit less hectic for the current Year 1's, however, so it may well change for when you join!

In term 1, you have Molecules, Cells and Disease and most of that is just a bit of a recap to A-Level Biology with a bit more depth. It's not particularly interesting IMO, and not that fun to revise for but there we go. You also have society and health and epidemiology which you will almost certainly hate. Then you have Life Cycle and Regulatory Systems in terms 2 which, in year 1, is just a bit of endocrinology (which I promise you, you will love) and very basic neuroscience. You also start Life Cycle and Regulatory Systems which is very packed - cardiovascular system, respiratory system (which will make you go wtf), gastrointestinal and urinary (renal). You also have anatomy of thorax, abdomen and pelvis with dissection. Personally, I find dissection and anatomy very boring but there are others who love it.

You also have a bit of PBL. You will either love it or hate it. I loved it because our facilitator was very relaxed so our scheduled 3 hour sessions would finish in literally 10 minutes and we could go home and sleep. :tongue: You have some patient visits you have to make throughout the year to a patient's house just to have a chat with them about stuff. I enjoyed it but I don't think it really teaches you that much. Some clinical communication sessions where they basically film you talking to a patient and you watch it back and they critique you, but it's only formative.

Pitfalls...I guess these would apply to any Medical School really but make sure you seriously keep on top of your work. You also only need 50% or so to pass and I don't think it's possible to go into any exam feeling as though you know all the content purely because of the sheer volume of it all.

Also, all the info I've given is true for when I was a first year - it may change for you guys. They're constantly asking for feedback to improve things (and they do listen).

Less than a week after IIRC.

Or a 3. :tongue:

Thank you so much for this!! Would you mind sharing your BMAT results?
Original post by aspiringmedic178
Thank you so much for this!! Would you mind sharing your BMAT results?

My stats are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511&page=33#post53398853 :smile:
Original post by cheeku
Thanks so much for the advice and the offer to help :smile:

Even though its just at the cut-off, that score in itself is still pretty good! So did you have really strong predicted A-levels/IB and personal statement to "balance the score" and be invited for interview?

I think once you've made the cut off they look at your grades and personal statement, I had strong predicted grades not so sure about personal statement lool but I guess as long as you've put in the usual things like motivation/enthusiasm for medicine and extracurricular things etc etc you could be invited to interview! They start giving out interviews end of November/December I think :smile: I think how it works is that the lower the band you're in the later your interview is (so mine was in March, I found it in January :smile: )
Haha :tongue:

Nah, my BMAT was very mediocre. Whenever we rant at Imperial about how horrible the test is and we ask each other what they score, everyone goes "Oh you'll not have done as badly as I did!". Then they hear my score and go "Oh...sorry for asking :colondollar:" :lol:

Is it true all students are competative af? (compared to UCL :wink:)

And how much does an average lunch cost?
Original post by champ_mc99
Is it true all students are competative af? (compared to UCL :wink:)

And how much does an average lunch cost?

Absolutely not. Some students are very competitive but definitely not all. I personally can't compare how competitive it is compared to UCL (only some of my nights out are with UCL Medics, but we have plenty of banter :wink: ) but the general consensus seems to be that it is more competitive here. There are some people who are rather...stuck up with not wanting to share their notes or anything which personally, I find very annoying but the vast majority aren't like that (or at least, the people who I know).

Depends on where you get lunch from and what you get. :tongue: I tend to spend about £5 or so for lunch, unless I go to the Nando's in High Street Ken (which is way too often). :pierre:
Absolutely not. Some students are very competitive but definitely not all. I personally can't compare how competitive it is compared to UCL (only some of my nights out are with UCL Medics, but we have plenty of banter :wink: ) but the general consensus seems to be that it is more competitive here. There are some people who are rather...stuck up with not wanting to share their notes or anything which personally, I find very annoying but the vast majority aren't like that (or at least, the people who I know).

Depends on where you get lunch from and what you get. :tongue: I tend to spend about £5 or so for lunch, unless I go to the Nando's in High Street Ken (which is way too often). :pierre:

What are the exams like? I hope their isn't some markscheme that's pedantic as the one present in Biology A Level with a **** tonne of underlined words for marks.
What are the exams like? I hope their isn't some markscheme that's pedantic as the one present in Biology A Level with a **** tonne of underlined words for marks.

bruh, the feels. this me :ditto:

I will end myself if it is. It's the only way they make biology comparable to physics and chemistry - by loading it with content and stupid mark schemes.
I will end myself if it is. It's the only way they make biology comparable to physics and chemistry - by loading it with content and stupid mark schemes.

its literally my only subject that gives me a headache. so insecure about biology

Reassuring, thanks!

EDIT: Ooops sorry one more, is the cafe food nice, inside college? (Apologies for the silly questions. Everyone else asking about admission and I'm asking about the food. :tongue:)
(edited 7 years ago)

Nah, the exams are easier compared to A-Level Biology exams imo. At the same time, however, there is a LOT of content and it's not as easy to revise for these exams as it is for A-Levels. It may sound strange, but it's difficult to know how much you're meant to know and it can be demotivating when you go through lots of stuff and don't know how the hell you'll remember it. They don't expect you to know everything, however, and it's only about 50-55%ish to pass.

In Years 1/2, you have SABs (single best answer questions - basically multiple choice but more than one option can be right and you have to choose the BEST response), ARQs (assertion reasoning questions - these are bloody hard tbh) and SAQs (short answer questions, where you actually have to write sentences and stuff). You can get given half marks for SAQs if the examiner thinks you know what's you're talking about but are not quite there.

The only thing is that Imperial don't give out past papers/mark schemes. This is a little annoying in that you are limited in terms of practice questions. You get some practise questions online but that's it.
Original post by champ_mc99
Reassuring, thanks!

EDIT: Ooops sorry one more, is the cafe food nice, inside college? (Apologies for the silly questions. Everyone else asking about admission and I'm asking about the food. :tongue:)

Nah, food is good to ask about :tongue:

I quite like the food, yeah. I mean, it's obviously no 5-star cuisine or anything but it's pretty good for students. The food in Queen's Tower especially is amazing, but it gets very busy!
Nah, food is good to ask about :tongue:

I quite like the food, yeah. I mean, it's obviously no 5-star cuisine or anything but it's pretty good for students. The food in Queen's Tower especially is amazing, but it gets very busy!

Cheers. :h:

Looking forward to it (hopefully!)
I feel like I've only just realised how crazy it is to have applied to imperial:/ the cut-offs are discouraging.
Many phenomenal applicants will get instant rejections because they didn't do well on the BMAT :/
😭😭😭😭😭

I feel like I've only just realised how crazy it is to have applied to imperial:/ the cut-offs are discouraging.
Many phenomenal applicants will get instant rejections because they didn't do well on the BMAT :/
😭😭😭😭😭

Don't doubt yourself! One of my teachers always says 'you deserve this just as much as anyone else and you are capable of getting it.', so think we all just need to be positive and hope for the best.
Wish I was applying in the 2005 days where you only needed ABB - without even having to take an entrance exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending