The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
No need to worry, it's as @jneill says. The ELAT is a pre-existing test and isn't structured the same way as the new Admissions Assessments.

Thankyou both!
We expect your thinking to have developed. As you read more your ideas will change. That's only natural and right. As long as you make it clear in your answer that you realise you might be contradicting something in your PS then that will be a good thing.

As long as you're able to justify your thoughts and be prepared to engage with discussion about it, then no having ideas that go against consensus is fine.

Thanks so much :h: (Accidentally gave rep to the wrong response :colondollar:)
I'm afraid I don't know, sorry. Only the graduate colleges deal with the GCM (Graduate Course in Medicine) and I've never had any experience with it being at a standard aged college.

No worries at all, thanks anyway! :smile:
Most students won;t have UMS this year but, historically, your 87% average and 82% in History is a bit on the low side. Given the circumstances in which you did your ASs, however, that will be taken into account.

I can't tell you what your interviewers will decide to pick up on and the direction they will take the interview and the importance they will place on different parts - I'm not a mindreader! :smile: I my own experience as a History interviewer, I can say that different elements often leave the most lasting impression from different candidates - I don't have a fixed idea of what is most important as I know that different things at different times will give me an insight into a candidate's abilities and potential.

Thank you for answering, though it does make me much more worried about the grades now, despite the fact that there had never been any students in my school (or indeed in China) to have achieved anything better than a B in history in the past (the ones who actually did it barely passed the exams). Perhaps it's best to compensate that with good performance during the interviews (if invited).
We live 5-6 hour train journey away. If she's offered an interview, will my daughter be able to book college accommodation?
xxx (wrong thread, sorry.)
Seeing as they took in our section 1 with the question papers with the answer sheet will they see our working and only give marks for correct answers with working? Will guesses be invalid or where there was not sufficient working?
Original post by metrize
Seeing as they took in our section 1 with the question papers with the answer sheet will they see our working and only give marks for correct answers with working? Will guesses be invalid or where there was not sufficient working?

For section 1 my school only sent off my answer sheet, not my question paper so I hope this isn't a problem :/
Original post by Emilypickett
For section 1 my school only sent off my answer sheet, not my question paper so I hope this isn't a problem :/

Oh did they? For my school they collected my answer sheet inside my question sheet. Not sure what they actually sent off though hopefully the At can answer this
Original post by Billy Shears
Thank you for answering, though it does make me much more worried about the grades now, despite the fact that there had never been any students in my school (or indeed in China) to have achieved anything better than a B in history in the past (the ones who actually did it barely passed the exams). Perhaps it's best to compensate that with good performance during the interviews (if invited).

The best advice I can give you now is not to worry about things you can no longer change and focus instead on ensuring that you do as well as you can in the remaining parts of your application, the interviews.
Original post by gabsywabsy
We live 5-6 hour train journey away. If she's offered an interview, will my daughter be able to book college accommodation?

I expect so, yes, though it not being my college (I assume) I can't guarantee that.
Original post by metrize

They are just marking the answers in Section 1.
Probably worth saying that I think it's very unlikely that people who have taken a pre-interview AA will hear about interviews today. The results get to CAO (the central Cambridge Admissions in Office) this afternoon and probably won't get out to colleges much before the end of the day. I therefore think that tomorrow is when people will start to hear but it will take a while to contact everyone as ATs need to discuss candidates with DoSes to confirm interview lists.
Probably worth saying that I think it's very unlikely that people who have taken a pre-interview AA will hear about interviews today. The results get to CAO (the central Cambridge Admissions in Office) this afternoon and probably won't get out to colleges much before the end of the day. I therefore think that tomorrow is when people will start to hear but it will take a while to contact everyone as ATs need to discuss candidates with DoSes to confirm interview lists.

Thanks for keeping us informed! :h:
If we didn't take a pre-interview AA, when do you think we will hear about interviews? Thank you!
Original post by thirdcultureteen
If we didn't take a pre-interview AA, when do you think we will hear about interviews? Thank you!

If you're applying for a subject that didn't have a pre-interview AA then I expect you could hear at any time.
Sorry to ask such a trivial question, but do you know if there's a certain time in the day after which no interviews will be sent? Do the admissions departments have a 'closing time'? I'm just asking so that I can coordinate my obsessive email refreshing schedule :tongue: Thanks very much for all your help :smile:
Hello! I've just heard back and have managed to bag myself an interview (yippee!). I was just wondering if you could elaborate on the difference between the two interviews: general interview and subject specific interview. Will the general interview be questions about A Levels, general academic performance, academic history etc, and the subject interview be focused on questions about the subject? Or will both be similar in assessing general academic competence?
Original post by Spange88
Hi, I'm a mum too and my son has applied to Jesus to do natural sciences. On the list he had from them, the interviews for PBS are to be held on the 8th and 9th December. Hope this helps and the very best of luck 😊

**I don't think you have seen this yet...?

Oh dear ...just saw this! Thanks so much. Waiting with bated breath now.
Original post by Spange88
Hi, I'm a mum too and my son has applied to Jesus to do natural sciences. On the list he had from them, the interviews for PBS are to be held on the 8th and 9th December. Hope this helps and the very best of luck 😊

**I don't think you have seen this yet...?

And good luck to your son too!

Latest

Trending

Trending