The Student Room Group

Steamboat Mickey's Year 13 and beyond blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteamboatMickey
Oh please, I am really stressing!!!

PM me, I'll get back to you after this maths hw :hugs: don't stress yourself out, gonna b ok, i was like that and yeah, i hope i can help!
Entry I

Sunday 13th November 2016

Hello, everyone!

Okay, let's get cracking:

History

I can't complain. We did a practice for Paper 1, Section C and the whole class got U's. I got an A*. :yeah:

We did do a progress tracker assessment and I do not think that it's A*, or even A grade quality. :K:

I also spoke someone who goes to Oxford, and used to go to my secondary school, she said that she thinks I'm better at History than anyone she knows at Oxford. She invited me to go stay with her so I can visit the libraries at Oxford University. She's really nice and when her first term has ended we're going to go out for coffee since she lives in my town. :yep: That made me feel pretty special!

Weekly subject goals:

This week I think I'll start revising Key Topic 1 for my Paper 1 History. I'll go through my 60-page timeline and ask my teacher how I can solidify the information into my mind to ensure I can get full marks again.

I think I will also do some work on Key Topic 1 for my Paper 2 History. I might try to write some essay plans for it.

English Language

Nothing remarkable.

We began our Language Investigation project. I'm doing Brexit, which is interesting since I do like Politics. My friend is doing something History related. I don't envy her because I feel like I can easily get an A* with Brexit since it's so easy to do. I'd rather not take a risk when my A-Level grade relies on doing a good job, and to get where I want to be in life I want to do as well as I can. I'd rather play it safe.

Weekly subject goals:

I think that this week I will just continue with my coursework, making sure I analyse my data to its full potential.

I think I'll also print out all of my Children's Language Acquisition material so that I can make sure it's in my folder and begin to go over it a little ahead of the summer exams. :h:

English Literature

It's been an interesting week in the world of Steamboat Mickey's English Lit class!

My English Literature teacher is amazing. There's never a dull moment with her!

We did a progress tracker assessment in English Literature too. I have no idea how I did, but it could've been worse. I think I need to polish a few skills and catch up on some reading.

We also began our coursework and my teacher called me a numpty because she didn't agree on the way I'd interpreted a few poems. I think if anything ever irritates me about English Literature, it's the fact that you can supposedly interpret texts in whatever way you want... but teachers find a way to restrict your thinking. :angry:

I also get taught by a Durham masters student who I think is trying to get into Oxford to do his PhD. He's pretty nice (although he's a typical Oxbridge reject) and I like to engage in any discussion but sometimes I feel like I make an idiot out of myself. :facepalm:This week he discussed essay skills, and I can't remember what he'll be discussing this coming Friday.

Weekly subject goals:

Catch up on reading the Handmaid's tale

Annotate the Whitsun Wedding's for English Literature coursework and at least complete the introduction and one point.

EPQ

:hide:

PANIC!!

I seriously have no idea what I'm doing

My Supervisior is rubbish

I want an A*

I want to change my EPQ direction

We have to have it in by the end of term

I want to cry

Weekly subject goals:

Sort this stress out

Get back on track and finish the mid-project review section of the log.

I just need to find an appropriate title and speak to a member of staff about my complete lack of direction. @wolfmoon88 and I have discussed comparing the French and American revolutions, and the way the Enlightenment impacted them both.

Miscellaneous:

Well, this week has been interesting. I think we can all agree that we've had enough politics for the year, and no matter what happens it'll be an interesting few years. One for the History books, definitely. I'd love to write about the how the decisions made in the UK and America are reflective of political History and the implications they have had on the shaping of the 21st century. In thirty or so years time, of course.

So, nothing exciting has really happened with my life lately.

I went to the hospital and they've decided I need a whole blood check because my chronic fatigue syndrome is getting worse, but it's nothing a bucket full of vitamins can't fix. I finally finished 'The Spirit of Capitalism and the Protestant Ethic' which I'm going to try to reflect upon ahead of any possible interview. I also had two progress tracker assessments, and I'm dreading the results. I'll discuss those a little later.

I really want to start playing the Sims again but I suppose I need to get on with my A-Level work. I don't know. Maybe I can give myself a night off after college and play it for a few hours? That would be fun!

I kind of want to do a picture of the week, but I wonder if my good friend @CheeseIsVeg would think that I am copying their meme of the week idea? :tongue: (Love you cheese) (I did copy the layout of my entries from you, hope you don't mind :wink:)

Spoiler

I'm doing The Handmaid's Tale in Lit too! Which other texts are you doing? We're studying Blake Poetry, The Kite Runner and from last year (linear A Levels suck haha) Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello and Death of a Salesman.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm doing The Handmaid's Tale in Lit too! Which other texts are you doing? We're studying Blake Poetry, The Kite Runner and from last year (linear A Levels suck haha) Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello and Death of a Salesman.

Oooh! We are doing 1984, Hamlet and Paradise Lost from last year. We are also doing A Doll's House, Handmaid's tale and the Paying Guests (Coursework text).
Entry I

Sunday 13th November 2016

Hello, everyone!

Okay, let's get cracking:

History

I can't complain. We did a practice for Paper 1, Section C and the whole class got U's. I got an A*. :yeah:

We did do a progress tracker assessment and I do not think that it's A*, or even A grade quality. :K:

I also spoke someone who goes to Oxford, and used to go to my secondary school, she said that she thinks I'm better at History than anyone she knows at Oxford. She invited me to go stay with her so I can visit the libraries at Oxford University. She's really nice and when her first term has ended we're going to go out for coffee since she lives in my town. :yep: That made me feel pretty special!

Weekly subject goals:

This week I think I'll start revising Key Topic 1 for my Paper 1 History. I'll go through my 60-page timeline and ask my teacher how I can solidify the information into my mind to ensure I can get full marks again.

I think I will also do some work on Key Topic 1 for my Paper 2 History. I might try to write some essay plans for it.

English Language

Nothing remarkable.

We began our Language Investigation project. I'm doing Brexit, which is interesting since I do like Politics. My friend is doing something History related. I don't envy her because I feel like I can easily get an A* with Brexit since it's so easy to do. I'd rather not take a risk when my A-Level grade relies on doing a good job, and to get where I want to be in life I want to do as well as I can. I'd rather play it safe.

Weekly subject goals:

I think that this week I will just continue with my coursework, making sure I analyse my data to its full potential.

I think I'll also print out all of my Children's Language Acquisition material so that I can make sure it's in my folder and begin to go over it a little ahead of the summer exams. :h:

English Literature

It's been an interesting week in the world of Steamboat Mickey's English Lit class!

My English Literature teacher is amazing. There's never a dull moment with her!

We did a progress tracker assessment in English Literature too. I have no idea how I did, but it could've been worse. I think I need to polish a few skills and catch up on some reading.

We also began our coursework and my teacher called me a numpty because she didn't agree on the way I'd interpreted a few poems. I think if anything ever irritates me about English Literature, it's the fact that you can supposedly interpret texts in whatever way you want... but teachers find a way to restrict your thinking. :angry:

I also get taught by a Durham masters student who I think is trying to get into Oxford to do his PhD. He's pretty nice (although he's a typical Oxbridge reject) and I like to engage in any discussion but sometimes I feel like I make an idiot out of myself. :facepalm:This week he discussed essay skills, and I can't remember what he'll be discussing this coming Friday.

Weekly subject goals:

Catch up on reading the Handmaid's tale

Annotate the Whitsun Wedding's for English Literature coursework and at least complete the introduction and one point.

EPQ

:hide:

PANIC!!

I seriously have no idea what I'm doing

My Supervisior is rubbish

I want an A*

I want to change my EPQ direction

We have to have it in by the end of term

I want to cry

Weekly subject goals:

Sort this stress out

Get back on track and finish the mid-project review section of the log.

I just need to find an appropriate title and speak to a member of staff about my complete lack of direction. @wolfmoon88 and I have discussed comparing the French and American revolutions, and the way the Enlightenment impacted them both.

Miscellaneous:

Well, this week has been interesting. I think we can all agree that we've had enough politics for the year, and no matter what happens it'll be an interesting few years. One for the History books, definitely. I'd love to write about the how the decisions made in the UK and America are reflective of political History and the implications they have had on the shaping of the 21st century. In thirty or so years time, of course.

So, nothing exciting has really happened with my life lately.

I went to the hospital and they've decided I need a whole blood check because my chronic fatigue syndrome is getting worse, but it's nothing a bucket full of vitamins can't fix. I finally finished 'The Spirit of Capitalism and the Protestant Ethic' which I'm going to try to reflect upon ahead of any possible interview. I also had two progress tracker assessments, and I'm dreading the results. I'll discuss those a little later.

I really want to start playing the Sims again but I suppose I need to get on with my A-Level work. I don't know. Maybe I can give myself a night off after college and play it for a few hours? That would be fun!

I kind of want to do a picture of the week, but I wonder if my good friend @CheeseIsVeg would think that I am copying their meme of the week idea? :tongue: (Love you cheese) (I did copy the layout of my entries from you, hope you don't mind :wink:)

Spoiler

not wanting to add to your current stress levels, but just wanted to remind you its possible history offers could start being given out tomorrow :tongue:
Original post by Strimpy
not wanting to add to your current stress levels, but just wanted to remind you its possible history offers could start being given out tomorrow :tongue:

Not offers, interview invites. :tongue:

Hey, I've missed you Strimpsy!
really sorry to hear about your extenuating circumstances! I have extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs too, only that I dont have a chronic illness, but I am the main carer for a family member who does, since my GCSEs.
Let's hope Cambridge see's what we really are capable of!
Not offers, interview invites. :tongue:

Hey, I've missed you Strimpsy!

well some of us are so good im sure interviews will be a mere formality :wink:

seriously im actually quite worried about it tho, rather just get a rejection straight away tomorrow then have to wait 2 weeks stressing

and missed you 2 :hugs: *uses compliment to hide deceptive plan to sabotage application*
Original post by Strimpy
well some of us are so good im sure interviews will be a mere formality :wink:

seriously im actually quite worried about it tho, rather just get a rejection straight away tomorrow then have to wait 2 weeks stressing

and missed you 2 :hugs: *uses compliment to hide deceptive plan to sabotage application*

Speak for yourself, one million A*s at GCSE person :wink:

Yeah, I know what you mean. This whole application is a test of my patience. Every other uni just rolls out offers casually and Oxbridge applications make you feel like you're on the X-Factor. :lol: Just think if we get an interview we have to play the waiting game until January :sadnod: I think the hype of being an Oxbridge applicant wears off after a while :zomg: it's fun at first. You've done your PS ahead of everyone else, you're up there on the school tables, your teachers have to give extra care to your application. Around, however, now you feel like you're on a never-ending TV contest. :lol: I just want to get into the course that I know I'll enjoy the most but the chances are slim and the application process is dragging :puppyeyes:

I need to be drowned in the cold water bucket that is reality; my chances are non-existent.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oooh! We are doing 1984, Hamlet and Paradise Lost from last year. We are also doing A Doll's House, Handmaid's tale and the Paying Guests (Coursework text).

Ah so THT is the only overlap. I have however chosen to study 1984 for my coursework piece on the literature canon (we're AQA Lit B btw).
Ah so THT is the only overlap. I have however chosen to study 1984 for my coursework piece on the literature canon (we're AQA Lit B btw).

We're AQA as well, I think we might also be AQA Lit B but I don't know.

Oh, we didn't get a choice for coursework. Sadly.
We're AQA as well, I think we might also be AQA Lit B but I don't know.

Oh, we didn't get a choice for coursework. Sadly.

We got to choose for this first one, but for the re-creative piece my teacher has chosen Rossetti's poetry for us to study. I think we're looking at two poems, but I'm not sure as I missed the first lesson on it (I was at the orthodontist unfortunately).
We got to choose for this first one, but for the re-creative piece my teacher has chosen Rossetti's poetry for us to study. I think we're looking at two poems, but I'm not sure as I missed the first lesson on it (I was at the orthodontist unfortunately).

Oh, we did A Streetcar Named Desire, although I chose to do a close analysis on it instead (and got an A* in it :dance:)
Oh, we did A Streetcar Named Desire, although I chose to do a close analysis on it instead (and got an A* in it :dance:)

Well done! That's an easy 10% in the bag for you there :h:
Well done! That's an easy 10% in the bag for you there :h:

Hopefully! Just need 80% down now :biggrin:
Hopefully! Just need 80% down now :biggrin:

Hope you are doing ok Mickey me matey :hugs:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hope you are doing ok Mickey me matey :hugs:

Mickey is feeling better now but expect a rew EPQ related PMs in the very near future :hugs:thanks for caring about me cheese!!!
Mickey is feeling better now but expect a rew EPQ related PMs in the very near future :hugs:thanks for caring about me cheese!!!

:hugs: I always care! Please do PM me! :smile:
Would be happy to help! I have an EPQ session tomorrow morning, come to think about it :mmm:

I just wanted to say, I thought Tess sucked :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
I just wanted to say, I thought Tess sucked :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I liked the book, but I found Tess' life choices to be very frustrating!
I liked the book, but I found Tess' life choices to be very frustrating!

I enjoyed the premise of the story. I just didn't like the fact that I had to read the book in week during the summer because I had a test on it the firsr day back...

Yeah super frustrating :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending