The Student Room Group

Completely BOMBED mock driving test

Hi everyone. I've been learning to drive for the best part of a year (however, I moved house halfway through learning so had to find a new instructor, and during this period didn't have a lesson for close to three months, so technically it's only been about 8 months of actual learning). I've been with my new instructor for around six weeks, and had my first mock test today. I completely and utterly failed, with 16 minors and six majors. :frown: The majors were for:
1: Forgetting to stop at give way lines in a car park when a car was coming from the left, so instructor had to use his brakes (DUMB DUMB DUMB)
2: I mistakenly thought the car could go through a gap between a row of parked cars on the left and oncoming traffic. It couldn't, and again my instructor slammed on the brakes. Funnily enough, I thought "Huh, probably not gonna get through there..." as I drove up, but I still didn't stop! ARGH.
3: Hands crossed on the wheel when I was doing a turn in the road (didn't even know that would result in a serious).
4: Lane discipline (accidentally drifted into the left lane when going right at a roundabout. There was no car in the left lane, thankfully).
5: Forgot to put the car in 1st gear when moving off (DERP)
6: Didn't leave a large enough gap in front of a lorry when re-entering the left lane, after overtaking it on a dual carriageway :colondollar:

I'm SO annoyed. I have my own car, and have been driving totally fine with my parents, but as soon as I started my mock test it was one disaster after the other. Embarrassingly, I got so frustrated I began crying right in front of the instructor! He was very understanding and explained that the whole point of a mock test was to see where I was going wrong, but some of the mistakes I made seem so bloody basic for someone who's already been driving for the best part of ten months! DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Please reassure me that this is normal? My test isn't until mid January, but I'm so annoyed with myself right now, as most of the time I knew what mistakes I was making the instant after I made them. :frown:
Original post by CobaltRose96
Hi everyone. I've been learning to drive for the best part of a year (however, I moved house halfway through learning so had to find a new instructor, and during this period didn't have a lesson for close to three months, so technically it's only been about 8 months of actual learning). I've been with my new instructor for around six weeks, and had my first mock test today. I completely and utterly failed, with 16 minors and six majors. :frown: The majors were for:
1: Forgetting to stop at give way lines in a car park when a car was coming from the left, so instructor had to use his brakes (DUMB DUMB DUMB)
2: I mistakenly thought the car could go through a gap between a row of parked cars on the left and oncoming traffic. It couldn't, and again my instructor slammed on the brakes. Funnily enough, I thought "Huh, probably not gonna get through there..." as I drove up, but I still didn't stop! ARGH.
3: Hands crossed on the wheel when I was doing a turn in the road (didn't even know that would result in a serious).
4: Lane discipline (accidentally drifted into the left lane when going right at a roundabout. There was no car in the left lane, thankfully).
6: Didn't leave a large enough gap in front of a lorry when re-entering the left lane, after overtaking it on a dual carriageway :colondollar:

I'm SO annoyed. I have my own car, and have been driving totally fine with my parents, but as soon as I started my mock test it was one disaster after the other. Embarrassingly, I got so frustrated I began crying right in front of the instructor! He was very understanding and explained that the whole point of a mock test was to see where I was going wrong, but some of the mistakes I made seem so bloody basic for someone who's already been driving for the best part of ten months! DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Please reassure me that this is normal? My test isn't until mid January, but I'm so annoyed with myself right now, as most of the time I knew what mistakes I was making the instant after I made them. :frown:

This is normal... give you a couple of examples:

Me: I took my mock test about 11 months after starting to learn, and took my test a couple weeks after. I failed with about 15 minors, 3 or 4 majors, and yeh... it was ****... Had done loads of practice in my own car, just like you and could drive fine, until my mock test... I passed first time with 2 minors...

My sister: She was always a relatively nervous learner and looks her about 12 or so months after starting to learn with her new instructor, and she really bombed it - probably 20 minors, and I think at least 8 majors - she took her real test about 2 weeks later as well - 0 minors... She even broke down in tears during her mock test too...

I think the main thing for me about the mock test, is that until I did it, I had no idea what kind of pressure I'd feel, the format of it, all that shebang... You can turn it around, especially with over a month to go before your main test! Just keep practicing so things become natural, and now you've made those mistakes, you're more likely to not make them again imo, because you'll be thinking about not doing it...
Original post by mobbsy91
This is normal... give you a couple of examples:

Me: I took my mock test about 11 months after starting to learn, and took my test a couple weeks after. I failed with about 15 minors, 3 or 4 majors, and yeh... it was ****... Had done loads of practice in my own car, just like you and could drive fine, until my mock test... I passed first time with 2 minors...

My sister: She was always a relatively nervous learner and looks her about 12 or so months after starting to learn with her new instructor, and she really bombed it - probably 20 minors, and I think at least 8 majors - she took her real test about 2 weeks later as well - 0 minors... She even broke down in tears during her mock test too...

I think the main thing for me about the mock test, is that until I did it, I had no idea what kind of pressure I'd feel, the format of it, all that shebang... You can turn it around, especially with over a month to go before your main test! Just keep practicing so things become natural, and now you've made those mistakes, you're more likely to not make them again imo, because you'll be thinking about not doing it...

Thanks so much! My instructor assured me that I'm not the first, nor will I be the last, of his pupils to panic during a mock test and make mistakes they wouldn't normally make. I think a lot of the mistakes I made were done in frustration, as my first major occurred literally a minute after the test started, and my anger at myself affected the rest of the test. Funnily enough, I reversed into a bay 'perfectly', and that's usually the trickiest manoeuvre for me.
Reply 3
Hands crossed on the wheel when I was doing a turn in the road (didn't even know that would result in a serious).

Providing you maintained control of the vehicle, that would not result in a fault in a proper test.
Original post by IWMTom
Providing you maintained control of the vehicle, that would not result in a fault in a proper test.

That's what I thought. Thanks!
Just keep practising.
Reply 6
My instructor states, "the moment you panic when driving is when you have the least control" and that's true, if I feck up I feel the adrenaline start pumping and the noggin starts thinking the worst and I still do that on the 7th lesson but as everyone ever says, practice, practice, practice :smile:
1: Forgetting to stop at give way lines in a car park when a car was coming from the left, so instructor had to use his brakes (DUMB DUMB DUMB) You said it
2: I mistakenly thought the car could go through a gap between a row of parked cars on the left and oncoming traffic. It couldn't, and again my instructor slammed on the brakes. Funnily enough, I thought "Huh, probably not gonna get through there..." as I drove up, but I still didn't stop! ARGH. So you could see that you couldnt get through, but tried to anyway. Deliberately causing destruction is basically terrorism.
4: Lane discipline (accidentally drifted into the left lane when going right at a roundabout. There was no car in the left lane, thankfully). Complete lack of concentration, potentially fatal.
5: Forgot to put the car in 1st gear when moving off (DERP)Not dangerous but clumsy. However the occasional stall is what happens to everyone now and again.
6: Didn't leave a large enough gap in front of a lorry when re-entering the left lane, after overtaking it on a dual carriageway :colondollar: Dangerous what ever way you look at it. Unacceptable.

I'm SO annoyed. I have my own car, and have been driving totally fine with my parents, but as soon as I started my mock test it was one disaster after the other. Probably been driving around badly before, but you only now realise the mistakes (and sometimes deliberate and wreckless actions) now that they have been pointed out to you. Embarrassingly, I got so frustrated I began crying right in front of the instructor! He was very understanding and explained that the whole point of a mock test was to see where I was going wrong, but some of the mistakes I made seem so bloody basic for someone who's already been driving for the best part of ten months! DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Please reassure me that this is normal? No that is not normal. There is no justification in reassuring you that your dangerous driving is normal or in anyway OK. My test isn't until mid January, but I'm so annoyed with myself right now, as most of the time I knew what mistakes I was making the instant after I made them. Too late once you have made them. You need to fully understand the situation you're in and act appropriately so that mistakes dont manifest. This skill is called judgement, an essential one at that. :frown:

(click see more, I have integrated some of my response into your quote)

Just remember that when you're in control of machinery (cars, forklifts, cranes and many other stuff) that you are responsible for the safety of people around you. A misjudgment, mistake or horseplay could kill or injure someone. This is the reason for training and tests. Your driving really does need to be of a high standard if you are to be safe on the roads. When you do pass, it is extremely important to maintain the same standard of driving and not become complacent. Much easier said than done tho.
You have a long way to go if your post is serious.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know how you feel but in no time you will get there.
Original post by Laomedeia
(click see more, I have integrated some of my response into your quote)

Just remember that when you're in control of machinery (cars, forklifts, cranes and many other stuff) that you are responsible for the safety of people around you. A misjudgment, mistake or horseplay could kill or injure someone. This is the reason for training and tests. Your driving really does need to be of a high standard if you are to be safe on the roads. When you do pass, it is extremely important to maintain the same standard of driving and not become complacent. Much easier said than done tho.
You have a long way to go if your post is serious.

Uh, thank you. I guess. Never thought I'd be called a terrorist, but I suppose anything is possible. It's not that I thought "Ah **** it, I can't get through but I'll go anyway.", it's more like my brain didn't fully communicate with my feet until it was too late. I was going for the brake but my instructor was quicker.

And yes, my post was serious. What gives you the impression it wasn't?

I wasn't asking if my driving was safe (I'm more than aware it isn't, hence why I feel so *****y about it), nor was I asking for people to say 'Nah, you're driving is fine!'. I. KNOW. IT. ISN'T. And you insinuating that I'm a terrorist and being a complete smart-arse is not helpful. My question was, is it normal for a learner to panic during a mock test and make silly mistakes?. This was my first ever mock test. When you've been driving for a while, I suppose it's all too easy to forget the mistakes you made as a learner, and forget how stressful it was when you were learning.

Not sure if it was your intention, but your tone comes across as incredibly rude and condescending. And accusing me of being a terrorist?! How bloody ridiculous.
Reply 10
Don't beat yourself up about your mock test; everyone who goes through this is nervous and it's easy to fluff parts of the test when you're nervous.

The main thing is you've had feedback and you now know where you have to practice or concentrate a bit more. I always mucked up hill starts and in general, drove a bit faster than I should have. My instructor nicknamed named me Nigel. For those of a certain age, he was a F1 driver back in't day.

You sound like a competent driver. Just keep your cool and practice and you'll get through the test. If you make a mistake, acknowledge it but don't let it ruin the rest of the test. I went through a puddle too fast (there is a speed theme here) and I thought I had failed on that but I passed. I apologised for speeding through it when it happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uh, thank you. I guess. Never thought I'd be called a terrorist, but I suppose anything is possible. It's not that I thought "Ah **** it, I can't get through but I'll go anyway.", it's more like my brain didn't fully communicate with my feet until it was too late. I was going for the brake but my instructor was quicker.

And yes, my post was serious. What gives you the impression it wasn't?

I wasn't asking if my driving was safe (I'm more than aware it isn't, hence why I feel so *****y about it), nor was I asking for people to say 'Nah, you're driving is fine!'. I. KNOW. IT. ISN'T. And you insinuating that I'm a terrorist and being a complete smart-arse is not helpful. My question was, is it normal for a learner to panic during a mock test and make silly mistakes?. This was my first ever mock test. When you've been driving for a while, I suppose it's all too easy to forget the mistakes you made as a learner, and forget how stressful it was when you were learning.

Not sure if it was your intention, but your tone comes across as incredibly rude and condescending. And accusing me of being a terrorist?! How bloody ridiculous.

You disagree with my feedback. Ok.

I laughed while reading this, because I was the exact same in my mock. It went so terribly wrong, the only thing I managed to actually do correctly was the manoeuvre which was reverse around a corner. I was doing things I literally never do such as stalling (wtf?), hitting the kerb and bombing up to mini roundabouts in 3rd gear, lol.
I even did the same thing as you..I continued to drive through knowing that there wasn't enough space.
I also got a major for lane discipline, I apparently cut someone up behind me, I didn't even notice that.
Your mock just sounds so bloody similar to mine, and I also have my test booked for Jan:biggrin:

I think it's really just practice. I had a lesson on Friday and it went well. Had a really nice drive but then I mucked up a bay park. If it's not one thing, it's another. :colonhash:

Don't worry, we still have plenty of time to turn it around!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending