The Student Room Group

Is having expensive tastes a good thing

Scroll to see replies

Mostly I think it's a waste of money. People in the thread are on about how jeans are better quality. Well be that as it may, unless your £100 pair of jeans last you ten times longer than my £10 pair (so 20 years or more), mine are better value for money.

There are some items where it is worth not getting the very cheapest thing you can (like hiking boots, rain coats, tents and musical instruments to name several things that I've bought recently or need to buy currently) but on the whole, expensive stuff is not worth it and you're mostly paying for someone's name to be associated with it.

I think the combined cost of everything I'm wearing now (excluding shoes) is less than £50, and that's mostly because I'm wearing quite a nice jumper made from alpaca wool.
Original post by Manitude
Mostly I think it's a waste of money. People in the thread are on about how jeans are better quality. Well be that as it may, unless your £100 pair of jeans last you ten times longer than my £10 pair (so 20 years or more), mine are better value for money.

There are some items where it is worth not getting the very cheapest thing you can (like hiking boots, rain coats, tents and musical instruments to name several things that I've bought recently or need to buy currently) but on the whole, expensive stuff is not worth it and you're mostly paying for someone's name to be associated with it.

I think the combined cost of everything I'm wearing now (excluding shoes) is less than £50, and that's mostly because I'm wearing quite a nice jumper made from alpaca wool.
I managed to pretty much renew my wardrobe's contents for about £90 by shopping at Primark.
I just spent like £100 total on a blazer, jeans, shirt, wallet, tshirt... And all are comfy and nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trevish
I just spent like £100 total on a blazer, jeans, shirt, wallet, tshirt... And all are comfy and nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

I once spent nearly £40 on boxer briefs.
Original post by parsn1p
I managed to pretty much renew my wardrobe's contents for about £90 by shopping at Primark.

Sounds about right. I go for ASDA stuff normally, although a couple of months ago Primark opened where I live. I've yet to go in there yet but I imagine it'll be glorious when I eventually do!
If that was me I'll still feel happier knowing that I got a good quality item
Original post by Reality Check
No: what I'm saying is that I wouldn't necessarily feel happier because I was in a £1,000 coat.
Payed nearly £300 for these true religion jeans image.jpgfully worth the price you get what you payed for especially jeans you can wear all seasons the quality and material superb they will last a lifetime there expensive for a reason, I'm not really a accessories kinda guy payed £6 for my card holder does the job accessories are easily replaceable

(edited 7 years ago)
Are they good quality
Original post by parsn1p
Where they boss bet da gyaldem saw you in it 😎
Original post by parsn1p
I once spent nearly £40 on boxer briefs.
Asdas alright for food drinks etc, Primarks good if you want cheap throwaway clothes
Sounds about right. I go for ASDA stuff normally, although a couple of months ago Primark opened where I live. I've yet to go in there yet but I imagine it'll be glorious when I eventually do!
Original post by struggler07
Payed nearly £300 for these true religion jeans image.jpgfully worth the price you get what you payed for especially jeans you can wear all seasons the quality and material superb they will last a lifetime there expensive for a reason, I'm not really a accessories kinda guy payed £6 for my card holder does the job accessories are easily replaceable

You say worth the price, but they're 40 times more expensive than the ones I'm wearing now (which I think were £7.50 and have already lasted me over a year) so unless that pair lasts you more than forty years (highly unlikely!) it's not worth it and you may as well buy new cheap ones every couple of years. Also I think those jeans look awful, but that's obviously a matter of opinion. They also look like they're already fraying at the bottom. I wear jeans all year round (except during the height of summer) so that's not exactly a bonus that you have to spend £290 extra for.

I can think of much better ways to spend £300 than a pair jeans that might last a few years longer than my cheap ones. I can pretty much guarantee that if you do any kind of physical activity while wearing them, they will not last any longer than mine.
Reply 111
Original post by INTit
You'd be surprised theres plebs out there that can't tell a Patek Philipe from a Rolex.

There's my one laugh a day used. /s
Generally bad, self-sufficiency and fortitude is more masculine.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
That is really the most terrible thing I've heard in a long, long time.

Rolex = chav
It's expensive for a reason, I had burtons Jean that I payed £18 for the fit was horrible, cheap clothes are okay if you don't really care about fashion, that's the style of the jeans and look at those back pockets tho you don't get them on £10 jeans image.jpg
You say worth the price, but they're 40 times more expensive than the ones I'm wearing now (which I think were £7.50 and have already lasted me over a year) so unless that pair lasts you more than forty years (highly unlikely!) it's not worth it and you may as well buy new cheap ones every couple of years. Also I think those jeans look awful, but that's obviously a matter of opinion. They also look like they're already fraying at the bottom. I wear jeans all year round (except during the height of summer) so that's not exactly a bonus that you have to spend £290 extra for.

I can think of much better ways to spend £300 than a pair jeans that might last a few years longer than my cheap ones. I can pretty much guarantee that if you do any kind of physical activity while wearing them, they will not last any longer than mine.
Original post by Lost Her Way

Rolex = chav

An old used Rolex is believed to still possess class, provided it is handed down through the family.
It's expensive for a reason, I had burtons Jean that I payed £18 for the fit was horrible, cheap clothes are okay if you don't really care about fashion, that's the style of the jeans and look at those back pockets tho you don't get them on £10 jeans image.jpg

I've never had any problems with jeans not fitting.
Caring about fashion is the most petty thing to care about - it is something that serves no other function than aesthetic.

Also I own a sewing machine so I could quite easily stitch horseshoes onto my arse if I felt that would in some way validate me as a human. Oh, and my sewing machine cost significantly less than £300.

Even if it was cheap i would not have bought it...I find it ugly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rolex=classy
Original post by Fullofsurprises
An old used Rolex is believed to still possess class, provided it is handed down through the family.
So you would rather cry walking on the street for hours than driving a nice Range Rover
Original post by Reality Check
No: what I'm saying is that I wouldn't necessarily feel happier because I was in a £1,000 coat.
Or buy a cheaper watch like citizen or rotary
Original post by Lost Her Way

Rolex = chav

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending