The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge MPhil in Development Studies 2017/18

Hi, has anyone submitted applications yet for 2017/18 entry to the program?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup - a couple weeks back. Have you heard anything?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by kenuuu

Not yet, I submitted my application on 13th Oct. The status bar has been displaying 'awaiting consideration by the department' ever since. I have no idea what it means. Is my application still pending to be accessed or it's just tied in this place until a decision is made?
Reply 3
So from what I understand, their first review is in the first half of November, and that starting in the coming weeks they will start giving the first offers, so I think it means it is tied in this place until a decision is made. I applied Oct 16th, and also have the same status. Let me know if it changes at all
Reply 4
Original post by FSY
Not yet, I submitted my application on 13th Oct. The status bar has been displaying 'awaiting consideration by the department' ever since. I have no idea what it means. Is my application still pending to be accessed or it's just tied in this place until a decision is made?

Hey guys! Hope this helps you out - my app completed in early Oct with the submission of my second reference. It had stayed at Awaiting consideration the whole time, but a couple days back it skipped right through to Conditional Offer.

I didn't follow Self Service obsessively so there is a chance that it went to degree and board before arriving at an offer, but there's a good chance they're already reviewing all the apps, as they come :smile:

Good luck guys!
Reply 5
Original post by kenuuu
So from what I understand, their first review is in the first half of November, and that starting in the coming weeks they will start giving the first offers, so I think it means it is tied in this place until a decision is made. I applied Oct 16th, and also have the same status. Let me know if it changes at all

Guess the mystery will unfold itself in the next two weeks, anxiously waiting!
Reply 6
Original post by zpin
Hey guys! Hope this helps you out - my app completed in early Oct with the submission of my second reference. It had stayed at Awaiting consideration the whole time, but a couple days back it skipped right through to Conditional Offer.

I didn't follow Self Service obsessively so there is a chance that it went to degree and board before arriving at an offer, but there's a good chance they're already reviewing all the apps, as they come :smile:

Good luck guys!

Congrats zpin and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am kinda weighing up my odds right now for an offer. Just a little worried about my uni's reputation tho, I mean does it really play the 'main' role in the whole process?
Reply 7
Original post by FSY
Congrats zpin and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am kinda weighing up my odds right now for an offer. Just a little worried about my uni's reputation tho, I mean does it really play the 'main' role in the whole process?

haha thanks! and don't worry about it. The fact that they did ask for a CV and statement shows that they're interested in the experience we've had at whichever college we came from.

Past the first half of third year, I had to tone down on extracurricular stuff that would have been considered more conventional forms of achievement too. I did it so that I could work after my classes and balance the learning with some degree of financial support.

So as long as your learning experience has been consistent and meaningful, I wouldn't worry about factors like college rep. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by zpin
haha thanks! and don't worry about it. The fact that they did ask for a CV and statement shows that they're interested in the experience we've had at whichever college we came from.

Past the first half of third year, I had to tone down on extracurricular stuff that would have been considered more conventional forms of achievement too. I did it so that I could work after my classes and balance the learning with some degree of financial support.

So as long as your learning experience has been consistent and meaningful, I wouldn't worry about factors like college rep. :smile:

Hi zpin, I received an email today from the admissions saying ' Your application is currently with the committee members and you can expect a response in December', what does it mean?
Reply 9
Original post by FSY
Hi zpin, I received an email today from the admissions saying ' Your application is currently with the committee members and you can expect a response in December', what does it mean?

That sounds like a good sign, and relatively fast for a mid-Oct app :smile:

If I'm not mistaken, that could mean that you've passed department and have gone on to degree committee. December is also rather comforting since Cam states that most decisions arrive in Feb/March.
Reply 10
Original post by zpin
That sounds like a good sign, and relatively fast for a mid-Oct app :smile:

If I'm not mistaken, that could mean that you've passed department and have gone on to degree committee. December is also rather comforting since Cam states that most decisions arrive in Feb/March.

Thanks zpin, sounds very reassuring !
Reply 11
Hey guys, I have a really question about the application. When does the 7 days deadline start? Is it from the second you press the "Apply for this course" on that very first page or is there another stage where you enter your basic details? It just feels so quick.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 12
Are you referring to the 7 days for references to submit back to you? That is from the moment you actually submit your application (and you have paid the fee)
Hello everyone, quick question. where did you guys write about uni societies? in the CV bit or in employment history?
Reply 14
Original post by kenuuu

Hi kenu, any updates yet? my sis still shows' awaiting department' it's like it will be there forever.
Original post by FSY
Hi kenu, any updates yet? my sis still shows' awaiting department' it's like it will be there forever.

Hi FSY, hope you don't mind hopping on to your conversation. Not sure if I'm getting this right - you got an email from admissions stating your application is with the degree committee yet your Camsis still says 'Awaiting consideration from the department'? I've been stuck on awaiting consideration since the 29th of October and the wait is killing me 😭
Reply 16
Still on awaiting consideration by your department. I applied mid Oct, so its getting close to 2 months now as well.. Having looked on the other student room pages though, it appears as if very few people so far have gotten any offers or progression in their application - unless they need interviews, which isn't the case for our course I believe. I did call them and they told me they would get back to me in 8 weeks, which is this Friday, so will see.

On a separate note, has any one applied who has also already finished their undergraduate degree?
Reply 17
Original post by HoomanBean
Hi FSY, hope you don't mind hopping on to your conversation. Not sure if I'm getting this right - you got an email from admissions stating your application is with the degree committee yet your Camsis still says 'Awaiting consideration from the department'? I've been stuck on awaiting consideration since the 29th of October and the wait is killing me 😭

Hi HoomanBean, well, I am not entirely sure of the admission tutor's email about my app status, since it just says my app is with the committee members, it could refer to admissions review committee rather than the degree committee. The whole process is incredibly lengthy and I hope it really worth the wait.
Haha there's no making sense of this is there? I guess patience is all that's needed, it would be awesome if they got back to everyone within 8 weeks.
Congrats zpin. Such an early offer.

My status had moved to "grad degree committee" from the department a week ago. But still not sure if this has not moved to BOGS yet haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending