The Student Room Group

Being shunned for taking my hijab off

Long story short, I live in a majority muslim area (like my secondary schol had 2 people who weren't muslims)..I'm quite extroverted so most people know who I am (which has turned out to be such a curse).

I decided to take my hijab off when I started uni this year for personal reasons. I did expect people to give me funny looks but the backlash I've recieved is so bad. My closest friends have supported me and don't treat me any differently. However, quite a few people (especially the girls) have treated me like ****. One girl who I was quite friendly with looked at me and then turned her back towards me. Another girl refused to give me eye contact. Some of the guys I know aren't as friendly and other guys just stare or nudge each other.

Honestly, its starting to get to me so badly. I'm thinking of putting it back on. My uni is predominantly asian so all the hijabis have their own friendship groups. I .literally live in fear everyday and worry about whose going to see me without my scarf. The worst thing is no one from my past apart from my close friends approach me anymore. They either stare or just ignore my existence.

Scroll to see replies

Rule #1 of life: Never let others dictate your own life.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Long story short, I live in a majority muslim area (like my secondary schol had 2 people who weren't muslims)..I'm quite extroverted so most people know who I am (which has turned out to be such a curse).

I decided to take my hijab off when I started uni this year for personal reasons. I did expect people to give me funny looks but the backlash I've recieved is so bad. My closest friends have supported me and don't treat me any differently. However, quite a few people (especially the girls) have treated me like ****. One girl who I was quite friendly with looked at me and then turned her back towards me. Another girl refused to give me eye contact. Some of the guys I know aren't as friendly and other guys just stare or nudge each other.

Honestly, its starting to get to me so badly. I'm thinking of putting it back on. My uni is predominantly asian so all the hijabis have their own friendship groups. I .literally live in fear everyday and worry about whose going to see me without my scarf. The worst thing is no one from my past apart from my close friends approach me anymore. They either stare or just ignore my existence.

Just ignore them, it's your life you can do whatever you want who are they to judge
Reply 3
Original post by NoPunInThisName

Easier said then done when people are treating you like ****.
Easier said then done when people are treating you like ****.

I total respect that and I'm not in your shoes so I don't have the full grasp of the situation, but sometimes you have to be ruthless and ignorant to some people's views.
...what university is this that is predominantly muslim? it is even in the UK?
and don't put it back on - if you do that you'll show them that they're controlling you
Original post by sleepysnooze
...what university is this that is predominantly muslim? it is even in the UK?
and don't put it back on - if you do that you'll show them that they're controlling you

Could mean the course sometimes..

DO YOU booo ( where is this uni??)
My uni is predominantly asian

Which university is this?
It shows huge amounts of inner strength to do what you've done, sure some people will be nasty but for every one of you there will be 10 girls who wish that they had the courage you have.
Reply 10

Now you know who is your friend.
Those girls are more likely jealous that they don't have the guts to be brave like you.
Reply 12
During WW2 , a ship got torpedoed nd survivors were in Shark infested waters. The ones who swam away from group got attacked and killed by the sharks. My suggestion is stick with the Jamat. Bravery is sometimes another word for reckless.

At the end of the day it's your choice. Just because you don't wear a hijab doesn't mean you're not a good muslim/ a bad person!
Reply 14
Original post by pashaj92
During WW2 , a ship got torpedoed nd survivors were in Shark infested waters. The ones who swam away from group got attacked and killed by the sharks. My suggestion is stick with the Jamat. Bravery is sometimes another word for reckless.

So now devout Muslims are like sharks?
Original post by NoPunInThisName

Rule # 2: TSR is not the best place to seek advice on religious matters.

It's a good place for a rant though :biggrin:

lol
Reply 17
Original post by Edo123
Rule # 2: TSR is not the best place to seek advice on religious matters.
To be fair, it's actually not that bad. There are plenty of people who frequent the Religion and Debate forums who are very knowledgable, both believers and sceptics - so you are likely to get a reasonably balanced view (once you've filtered out the trolls, of course!).

Echo chambers (like the local mosque/ISOC thread/prayer group, etc) will only provide a one-sided, partisan approach, promoted the ideological party line.
X

You're taking a brave stand, remember you're being true to who you are. How pathetic they are, nudging each other and staring and acting like little children. Can you imagine how boring their conversations are, how childish they are? These people are trash, you don't need their approval.

One door closes, another opens; you will meet new people as a result of this door having opened, you will be open to new experiences, you will be able to rise above the parochial, narrow, gossipy little concerns of the shallow people who surround you. Their lives and minds are paralysed by fear of what other people think, and they are so superficial that being able to feel superior to someone else just because they wear or don't wear a particular item of apparel is one of the small "victories" they can have, one of the little ways they can feel powerful and in control in a life that must otherwise be quite barren and devoid of true meaning and self-expression.

More power to you, I say. You are, genuinely, a model for us all to follow, whether it's about the hijab or any other social convention which we blindly follow just to fit in, not to rock the boat.
(edited 7 years ago)

Completely predictable; your narrow, superstitious little worldview is dictated by fear. You are completely paralysed by narrow, parochial social conventions, you seem desperately afraid. I would hate to live my life paralysed by social expectations thrown on me by people who really aren't very bright, aren't very creative, aren't very interesting, and for whom being able to feel superior to someone else simply because they don't wear the hijab is one of the small "victories" they have in their otherwise sad little life.

Thank goodness I'm not trapped in that dire, grim, colourless existence being dictated to by a bunch of boring, superficial nobodies and all mutually reinforcing the fear of social exclusion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending