The Student Room Group

If Marine Le Pen wins the election, then what next for the West?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
The FN is very left wing economically; they have plagiarised most of the Communist platform. Hence why they are so strong in former Communist strongholds.

They certainly use that rhetoric, but like all hard right parties, they don't really mean it. Once elected, they would form alliances with the corporates and the big financials and make hay for their own people, like any good fascist - self-enrichment is always the order of the day. They might (as with the Nazis) carry out some superficially pro-poor measures like getting people off the dole queues by expanding the paramilitary forces or whatever, but they will be strictly superficial. The key goal of hard right parties is to destroy the organised left and open the road for unfettered control by the rich, aided by a strong state but only in the sense of harsh and unreasoning. The rich to include their own party elite, naturally.
Original post by ckfeister
They will team on her.

Without a doubt; she will be portrayed as the "barbarian at the gate" and her supporters as a basket of deplorables......
We'll just have to see how far the current "mad as Hell and not going to take it any more" mood in Europe will take her. Electorates seem to have got a taste for reminding the elite who actually calls the shots, almost without regard to outcome; who can say France will be immune? There was brilliant piece on CapX the other day, which I commend to you. It referred to America, but reads across to Europe.
The part that caught my eye [my bold]
In vote after vote, enough ordinary and presumably decent people are combining with the moral cave-dwellers (the racists and sexists) to form winning majorities in order to Take Their Country Back.
So deeply felt is their animosity towards the system and those who run it that their calculus has become unfathomable.
Yesterday, they were willing to deliver the highest office on the planet to the most cynical and ill-suited candidate ever to run for it.
Just think: after the numbing brutality of that election campaign, after all the dignity-obliterating facts that emerged about Trump, after all those things he said, how much they must hate us to have taken such a risk. How deeply they have felt their exclusion, and how bitterly they have resented it.
How much does La France Profonde and the post industrial towns of the provinces hate the Paris elite? How much does it want to give it a bloody nose regardless of consequence? I note that Juppe is currently odds on for the top job, but we live in strange days.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by #ChaosKass
It'd mean the West could finally become the West again.

Original post by Wōden
I would argue the current trend of allowing mass migration from third world countries that are neither liberal nor tolerant, is a FAR greater threat to Western tolerance and liberalism. In that respect, whether you like it or not, nationalism will be essential if we are ever going to seriously defend and preserve our Western values.

I hope Marine Le Pen wins, I hope this nationalist/anti-globalist renaissance continues to grow across the West and I hope our descent into cultural nihilism is halted and reversed.

So as a young British Muslim hijab wearing woman should I be worried? Do I not belong here?
Original post by Sarahsez
So as a young British Muslim hijab wearing woman should I be worried? Do I not belong here?

Are you legal?,

do you follow western values (Equality and freedom of speech+ many more).

are you contributing to society or do you plan to if you are currently in school.

Do you follow English law and respect the Uk.

If not you should have no fear.
Hopefully she will win.

Make Europe Great Again
MEGA

Europe about to go for a spin, get ready for the bumpy ride, right wing is about to take over (I support any muslim whoever isnt homophobic)
(edited 7 years ago)
It won't happen, I predicted Trump win and brexit win, Marine Le Pen won't win peroid, but brexit maybe an illusion and end up not leaving after French/German elections.

"Brexit won't happen "
" Trump can't win "
Original post by hazzer1998
"Brexit won't happen "
" Trump can't win "

Wait I just saw the polls.... RIP EUROPEAN UNION
Original post by Josb
No it won't happen - at least not in 2017. There is however a strong chance that the FN becomes the first opposition party in the parliament, which would already be a good victory for them.

Again

" Brexit won't happen "
" Trump won't win "
Wait I just saw the polls.... RIP EUROPEAN UNION

And we know how correct the polls were in the US election :colonhash:
Anything is possible
And we know how correct the polls were in the US election :colonhash:
Anything is possible

People seem to forget there is a turnout error, thats why I predicted correct.

I wouldn't be too concerned with a comment from someone called Woden...17,
eight stone wringing wet with acne and delusions of grandeur.

Reply 52
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They certainly use that rhetoric, but like all hard right parties, they don't really mean it. Once elected, they would form alliances with the corporates and the big financials and make hay for their own people, like any good fascist - self-enrichment is always the order of the day. They might (as with the Nazis) carry out some superficially pro-poor measures like getting people off the dole queues by expanding the paramilitary forces or whatever, but they will be strictly superficial. The key goal of hard right parties is to destroy the organised left and open the road for unfettered control by the rich, aided by a strong state but only in the sense of harsh and unreasoning. The rich to include their own party elite, naturally.

I already told you that far right is not a synonymous of Fascism. The Front National is not fascist.

They certainly believe in their economic program. The only difference with a traditional leftist economic policy is that they want to exclude foreigners from the welfare system.

Again

" Brexit won't happen "
" Trump won't win "

The French electoral system is very different from the American one, and it's not a referendum.
Original post by the bear
her daughter is Le Peng

I definitely would!

Isn't there are line in a Sylvia Plath poem about how attractive is the idea of f'cking a fascist?

Edit: Here you go, looked it up...

"Every woman adores a Fascist,
The boot in the face, the brute
Brute heart of a brute like you."
Original post by astutehirstute
I definitely would!

Isn't there are line in a Sylvia Plath poem about how attractive is the idea of f'cking a fascist?

Edit: Here you go, looked it up...

"Every woman adores a Fascist,
The boot in the face, the brute
Brute heart of a brute like you."

you mean the ladies don't like nice guys ?

:cry2:

I think she was thinking about Ted Hughes at the time.

Le Pen will probably ban all poets who don't write exclusively about how Muslims undermine the national bodily fluids of all true born French.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Today i learned that the Nazis weren't doing it to create a masterrace, but to aid the 1% (which would include looks of rich Jewish families, no?)

Perhaps you didn't realise that the Nazis hugely enriched people like the Krupps and maybe you haven't heard about Goering's desire to own all the major artworks of Europe, or the tendency of senior SS officers to accumulate fortunes in Swiss banks? Ah well.
2017 Is the year right wing madness takes over and the world is plunged into total chaos. Just because the elites wouldn't like you blowing up the sun doesn't make it a good idea.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think she was thinking about Ted Hughes at the time.

Would that be the "man in black with a Meinkampf look, and a love of the rack and the screw?"

Talk about going over the top. My God. :frown:

i have always felt sorry for poor old Ted. Most errant husbands end up with a bad conscience and a hefty divorce bill.

But (despite his own quite considerable talents as a poet, and the fact she was utterly insane) he will always only be remembered and reviled by feminists for those lines and then what happened next.
Would that be the "man in black with a Meinkampf look, and a love of the rack and the screw?"

Talk about going over the top. My God. :frown:

i have always felt sorry for poor old Ted. Most errant husbands end up with a bad conscience and a hefty divorce bill.

But (despite his own quite considerable talents as a poet, and the fact she was utterly insane) he will always only be remembered and reviled by feminists for those lines and then what happened next.

I don't think she was insane, but the two of them had some pretty strange beliefs (animistic spirits, wicca, pagan gods, reality of witches, etc) and they kind of took them to extremes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending