The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - too many lines

I've finished my personal statement, and it's just under the character limit (3800), but it exceeds the 47 line limit.

I don't want to cut it down any further - there's nothing else I can cut down, so should I just remove paragraphing in order to fit it into the limit?
Reply 1
Original post by sarahpenguin
I've finished my personal statement, and it's just under the character limit (3800), but it exceeds the 47 line limit.

I don't want to cut it down any further - there's nothing else I can cut down, so should I just remove paragraphing in order to fit it into the limit?

You can just try using some shorter words. Try and combine some of your paragraphs maybe? If you're desperate you can take out the line between each paragraph and mark each paragraph with a couple of spaces worth of indentation, but I really wouldn't advise that.

Read my profile text for advice then significantly edit your PS, after realising that the line limit is the one to aim for, not the character limit. Keep the paragraph gaps.
Then why say it? Indentation is removed by the UCAS system, so it couldn't work even if it were a good idea, which it isn't.
Yeah, remove paragraphing and any spaces between the lines- UCAS just turns your PS into a humungous paragraph anyway. Looks revolting, but hey- everyone's application is gonna look the same :P

Don't know why everyone's saying you need to cut down your characters (you might if you're waffling), just remove the useless blank spaces and paragraphing like I said.
(edited 7 years ago)
there's nothing else I can cut down

wanna bet?

Submit it for a review by the PS reviewers
Original post by IRoranth
Yeah, remove paragraphing and any spaces between the lines- UCAS just turns your PS into a humungous paragraph anyway. Looks revolting, but hey- everyone's application is gonna look the same :P

From ignorance comes the worst advice. Your claims about all statements looking the same, with no gaps between paragraphs and being a slab of text are simply not true.
Original post by Good bloke
From ignorance comes the worst advice. Your claims about all statements looking the same, with no gaps between paragraphs and being a slab of text are simply not true.

Haha, well I've just sent my personal statement off and UCAS automatically removed my paragraphing- don't think I'm being ignorant :biggrin:

It literally is a "slab of text."
Haha, well I've just sent my personal statement off and UCAS automatically removed my paragraphing- don't think I'm being ignorant :biggrin:

No. If you had viewed it with the correct part of the UCAS system you would have seen it as it appears to the admissions staff.

Yours appeared as a slab of text because either (a) it was s slab of text, as you had not properly paragraphed it or (b) you viewed it using the wrong tool (or both, of course).

There is no need to present the poor benighted admissions staff with such a hard job of reading.
Original post by Good bloke
No. If you had viewed it with the correct part of the UCAS system you would have seen it as it appears to the admissions staff.

Yours appeared as a slab of text because either (a) it was s slab of text, as you had not properly paragraphed it or (b) you viewed it using the wrong tool (or both, of course).

There is no need to present the poor benighted admissions staff with such a hard job of reading.

Ok.
Ok.

Well, that rather depends on whether you submitted an unreadable slab of text or a carefully presented disquisition on your interest in the subject and ability to be successful in studying it.

How a PS appears to universities:

With blank lines

Without blank lines

Which do you think is going to be read properly by admissions staff and which do you think will have half the content skipped over because it's unreadable?

ETA - admittedly the first example massively overdoes the paragraphs 4-5 would be absolutely fine...9 is probably pushing it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank ya all, eventually (unsurprisingly) realised that I was able to cut it down more, and can now fit clear paragraphs! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending