The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

how lenient is surrey?

How lenient is surrey in terms of grades, (i expect it varies course to course....) but has anyone eg gotten in to a AAA-AAB course (international business) with eg ABB or even BBB? is this possible for surrey?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rainbowcorn
How lenient is surrey in terms of grades, (i expect it varies course to course....) but has anyone eg gotten in to a AAA-AAB course (international business) with eg ABB or even BBB? is this possible for surrey?

I think they are quite lenient.

An AAA course may let you in with ABB on results day, although I think AAB is more realistic.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
You mean : "We say ABB, but actually we don't mean it, we just put that on the website for a laugh. Come Results Day we'll take anyone who is upright and breathing."?

Seriously .... For certain courses in certain years, Unis might accept some 'near misses' to fill spaces, but a) you wont know which these are (neither will they until the results come out), and b) do you really want this level of stress (ie. over predicted grades, got an offer, and know you dont have a chance of meeting it?). If you want a truly stressed out August waiting for the results, that a really good way to achieve it. The point is, if you are already thinking that you wont make the grades required then its a daft choice, right?

Lots of advice here about 'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Reply 3
an other updates or info to share about this guys? :<
Hi:smile: I'm currently studying Bmus Music at Surrey... they ask for AAB-ABB.

They are definitely lenient for music because I have course mates who got in with BBB and ABC.

Obviously this may change from subject to subject but as a general rule of thumb, most unis will give you the benefit of the doubt if you miss a grade but have a strong personal statement.
If your course is in clearing then you can get 1 or 2 grades below your required grades
my friend got in for Economics offer AAA with ABB
Original post by kingLAWZA
my friend got in for Economics offer AAA with ABB

Surry isn't good enough to be asking for AAA in the first place, especially for Economics.
Original post by Magic Streets
Surry isn't good enough to be asking for AAA in the first place, especially for Economics.

obviously, why do you think he got in

some courses are pretty strict like CompSci though, they had around 1000 applicants for 110 places because they cater to a lot of BTEC students also, so pretty much if you didn't meet your offer you wouldn't get a place
Reply 9
Original post by IzzyWatkins
Hi:smile: I'm currently studying Bmus Music at Surrey... they ask for AAB-ABB.

They are definitely lenient for music because I have course mates who got in with BBB and ABC.

Obviously this may change from subject to subject but as a general rule of thumb, most unis will give you the benefit of the doubt if you miss a grade but have a strong personal statement.

Original post by danbomb123
If your course is in clearing then you can get 1 or 2 grades below your required grades

thanks guys, i hope so! my offer is AAB and not sure whether to make it my firm/insurance because it is high :/
Original post by Rainbowcorn
thanks guys, i hope so! my offer is AAB and not sure whether to make it my firm/insurance because it is high :/

One of my flatmates does international business- i'll ask him if he knows how his course-mates did at a-level.

I would recommend just put your favourite uni as firm, offers irrelevant. Worst comes to the worst, you'll get into your insurance or into a clearing place... If you do better than expected, chances are you can't upgrade. I made this mistake- I chose a BBC offer as my firm cause i thought I wouldn't get better: ended up with AAB (luckily managed to get to Surrey through adjustment but chances are there won't be any places left)
Reply 11
Original post by IzzyWatkins
One of my flatmates does international business- i'll ask him if he knows how his course-mates did at a-level.

I would recommend just put your favourite uni as firm, offers irrelevant. Worst comes to the worst, you'll get into your insurance or into a clearing place... If you do better than expected, chances are you can't upgrade. I made this mistake- I chose a BBC offer as my firm cause i thought I wouldn't get better: ended up with AAB (luckily managed to get to Surrey through adjustment but chances are there won't be any places left)

thank you so much, very helpful! well done! Thats what i thought but not sure whether to go more down or up grades wise, surrey is my highest one yet my favourite but because its so high im not sure whether to choose it. Brunel is my 2nd fave and its BBB
Do you guys know how lenient Surrey is for Biomed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Gotten' is not a BE word.

ABB instead of AAA sounds realistic, given it's Surrey but it would depend on how oversubscribed the course is and how many places have been filled by those meeting their standard offer.
Reply 14
Original post by danbomb123

how do i know if its in clearing, do i need to wait until august?
obviously, why do you think he got in

some courses are pretty strict like CompSci though, they had around 1000 applicants for 110 places because they cater to a lot of BTEC students also, so pretty much if you didn't meet your offer you wouldn't get a place

Damn... Now i'm scared to send my application of hence im applying for computer science :frown:
Does anyone have an idea how many places are there available for biomed sciences? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rockyboy
Damn... Now i'm scared to send my application of hence im applying for computer science :frown:

If your predicted are what they want you will get an offer, but if you don't get those grades, if you go to the applicant day they will explain this, you won't get in.
If your predicted are what they want you will get an offer, but if you don't get those grades, if you go to the applicant day they will explain this, you won't get in.

Thank god i'm predicted what they want, hopefully things will go well and i will get the offer
Original post by Rockyboy
Thank god i'm predicted what they want, hopefully things will go well and i will get the offer

expect to get it late though, around feb/march

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending