The Student Room Group

Is counselling actually useful?

Scroll to see replies

I only had a couple of sessions mixed with other stuff but I was surprised how much it helped me and how much I actually trusted them- that made it scarier in a way as there's very few people I trust like that and I really struggle talking at the best of times. Maybe it was because I had nothing to lose and was in such a bad place and position beforehand but I think you're probably similar.

In short, give it a go and stick with it for a little bit, it does depend a lot on the person you're with but that'll be what it will be. Really hope it helps and you're okay- you know where I am :hugs:
Original post by furryface12
I only had a couple of sessions mixed with other stuff but I was surprised how much it helped me and how much I actually trusted them- that made it scarier in a way as there's very few people I trust like that and I really struggle talking at the best of times. Maybe it was because I had nothing to lose and was in such a bad place and position beforehand but I think you're probably similar.

In short, give it a go and stick with it for a little bit, it does depend a lot on the person you're with but that'll be what it will be. Really hope it helps and you're okay- you know where I am :hugs:

Thank you Furry Face :hugs:
i think im going to accept it bc i cant take it anymore and i feel like bursting or sitting in the shower and crying
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you Furry Face :hugs:
i think im going to accept it bc i cant take it anymore and i feel like bursting or sitting in the shower and crying

:penguinhug: yeah? That definitely sounds like it might be good. Yeah, know that one :redface: sitting in the shower might help but don't want you bursting- it'd make a mess :tongue:
:penguinhug: yeah? That definitely sounds like it might be good. Yeah, know that one :redface: sitting in the shower might help but don't want you bursting- it'd make a mess :tongue:

Yeh I think so, I have nothingto lose I suppose can't feel any worse right? :lol: maybe then I can stop burdening everyone else with my crap lol :redface:
Loooooool xD isn't enough of me to make a mess really, I'm only small :colondollar:

:lovehug:
well this is seeming like a distinct possibility lol so im wondering if it is acc worth it?
also pls dont move this to MH cos not allowed to post there ty

It depends. If you are a student then definetly take these sessions. They may not help say when you are not a student BUT when you are a student they can come handy - especially during coursework/exam season. For example, you may not realise it but you may not perform well on your coursework or exam due to a mental health issue BUT you can use counselling as extenuating circumstances - NOT that I am trying to promote any wrongdoing.

In general though, counselling is just a load of BS. Mate if anything, consult with family and people close to you. Spend more time with them. Go on holiday. It will help you see the bigger picture.

I used to have some form of depression. I went on holiday to the Americas and although I may be unemployed now - I sure as hell happier now compared to maybe 6 months ago
Remember that counsellors do not give advice which is contrary to what most people think.

And before consulting one make sure they are qualified in enough, specifically within the area of your problem(s)

If you don't like your counsellor, you can find a different one.

Every counsellor has a different approach to deal with situations so, you just have to try it out and see if you like it.
Reply 26
Personally I found two ways that counselling helped. In the long term they can help through practical advice (I found out from them that I could interrupt my degree when things weren't going well, and they also gave me courage and advice on how to do some things I was scared to do). There are many situations that can actually be made better while you don't even realise it. In the short term, having someone to talk to who was understanding and had a lot of knowledge on my issues (that they would share with me) was nice, and temporarily made me feel a lot better. However once it's gone I go back to feeling lost and crap.
well this is seeming like a distinct possibility lol so im wondering if it is acc worth it?
also pls dont move this to MH cos not allowed to post there ty

It can be. I found it useful.
Yeh I think so, I have nothingto lose I suppose can't feel any worse right? :lol: maybe then I can stop burdening everyone else with my crap lol :redface:
Loooooool xD isn't enough of me to make a mess really, I'm only small :colondollar:

:lovehug:

Exactly :smile: you don't burden anyone though! It's what we're here for (says she that's done absolutely nothing recently, sorry :redface:), but some professional help I hope will definitely be more effective. And sure you could manage- you wouldn't believe the amount of chaos I can cause as a small quiet person hiding in the corner :lol:
Exactly :smile: you don't burden anyone though! It's what we're here for (says she that's done absolutely nothing recently, sorry :redface:), but some professional help I hope will definitely be more effective. And sure you could manage- you wouldn't believe the amount of chaos I can cause as a small quiet person hiding in the corner :lol:

Thank you for all your lovely help FurryFace (and actually thank you to 99% of the people who posted in this thread)
I agreed to do it after some discussion and I'll start in a few weeks apparently so maybe it might help
Just have to see I suppose
:loveduck:
Thank you for all your lovely help FurryFace (and actually thank you to 99% of the people who posted in this thread)
I agreed to do it after some discussion and I'll start in a few weeks apparently so maybe it might help

Good luck. I hope it helps you.

Good on you. It's a ginormous but important step to take. Counselling can really work wonders for people. I personally prefer working with clinical psychologists than counsellors, but I have friends who swear by the opposite (counsellors over clinical psychologists).

Well done for being brave and proactive. Hope it bears fruit :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Good on you. It's a ginormous but important step to take. Counselling can really work wonders for people. I personally prefer working with clinical psychologists than counsellors, but I have friends who swear by the opposite (counsellors over clinical psychologists).

Well done for being brave and proactive. Hope it bears fruit :smile:

Thank you TLG
:cube:
There are a few things that affect whether counselling will work.

1. how experienced is your cousellor? In general, the more experience, the better.
2. How sympatico is s/he? By definition, this is impossible to control beforehand, but if you just don't feel that connection, you may be able to request a switch once you are in the service
3. Does the approach the counsellor uses fit your needs?

The evidence base suggests that for anxiety and mild depression, the most effective approach in short term interventions is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). This can seem very formulaic at first, as the counsellor will tend to follow similar basic analysis and solutions for everyone. It doesn't generally go looking for deep causes or unconscious motivations. It is very action orientated, with lot of practical things you can do. People get the most out of this approach if they view it like a 'prescription' of actions, and follow the plan, and recruit friends and family to do things alongside them (there's rarely a lot of scary 'personal' introspection in CBT)

Having said that, a great proportion of 'counsellors' use non-directive 'person centred' counselling. This is much more freeform and focuses on active listening and reflection. Some people prefer this, as it can seem more 'natural' than CBT. But the evidence of effectiveness is less robust.

In any case, I would definitely encourage you to give it a try. I find it helps me to go in with the mindset of, "Well, I'm going to see what they have to offer, and make use of what seems to fit me". You are still in control of the process!
(edited 7 years ago)
It's a mixed bag.

I've seen dozens of different people over the last 11 years - from your bog standard school counsellor to a large assortment of shrinks, doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists & family therapists. Some have been incredibly helpful, whilst others have been a complete waste of my time.
Have you tried meditation? :tongue: #Moooose
Original post by sr90
It's a mixed bag.

I've seen dozens of different people over the last 11 years - from your bog standard school counsellor to a large assortment of shrinks, doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists & family therapists. Some have been incredibly helpful, whilst others have been a complete waste of my time.

tbh it was that or nothing, im not in a position to do anything else so i thought i may as well take it i guess
if it dosent work i would just be in the same position as if i had not taken it i suppose

Original post by OvergrownMoose
Have you tried meditation? :tongue: #Moooose

no because i actually want to over come my anxiety and nightmares not just cover them up
tbh it was that or nothing, im not in a position to do anything else so i thought i may as well take it i guess
if it dosent work i would just be in the same position as if i had not taken it i suppose

no because i actually want to over come my anxiety and nightmares not just cover them up

Meditation doesn't cover up anxiety.... #Moooose
Original post by OvergrownMoose
Meditation doesn't cover up anxiety.... #Moooose

then what is the point in taking it? :/
im not trying to be facetious, genuine question :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending