The Student Room Group

Gcse revision upcoming 2017

When should I start to revise for my GCSE's? Have any of you started? (Currently in year 11).
If you've already done GCSE's, what did you achieve? Are there any tips you wouldn't mind sharing?
Thank you!
Well am in year 11 as well but I think the best option is to start doing some light revision and probably like 2 hours a day on a school day and on the weekend, do 4 hours
And after February you can do more hours
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Well am in year 11 as well but I think the best option is to start doing some light revision and probably like 2 hours a day on a school day and on the weekend, do 4 hours
And after February you can do more hours
Posted from TSR Mobile

is that what you call light revision?

I wonder how much you do for intense revision
i have already started so that hopefully i will have pretty much learnt all the content by January. so, i can just practice and reviews as i near towards the actual exam period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J116
When should I start to revise for my GCSE's? Have any of you started? (Currently in year 11).
If you've already done GCSE's, what did you achieve? Are there any tips you wouldn't mind sharing?
Thank you!

Hi!

I'd say it completely depends on the person. I mean some people are very lucky and can revise the night before and still end up with mainly A-A*s whereas others can revise for months and end up with mainly B-C grades. So when it comes to things like this, you really need to think about how you learn things, how good your exam technique is and how good your memory is too and prioritise them. I'd say try and get all your resources and notes for everything you've done so far by January and update them as you go along. It also might be a good idea now (or by the end of Christmas break) to start recapping things you've done so far. And by this I don't mean lock yourself in the room and study for hours on end, just read through notes or go through some past paper questions.

As I was saying before you need to prioritise. If you're good at remembering things but your exam technique is a bit off, don't spend all of your time trying to remember all of your notes and completely abandon exam practise. I know this sounds completely obvious but when I was doing my GCSEs, I was sort of ''obsessed'' with just trying to remember all of the content (especially for the sciences) that I didn't really practise how to apply the content to the questions or learn what the examiners were really looking for.

I cannot recommend going through past papers, marks schemes and examiner reports enough (I honestly think I would have failed my GCSEs if I hadn't have read through them religiously :tongue:) . Mark schemes will tell you exactly what the examiners are looking for and the reports tell you the common mistakes that they often see and, if you read that, hopefully you'll remember and avoid doing that yourself.

Sorry for babbling on a lot. The important thing is is that you don't start too early, burn yourself out and then not want to revise when it actually matters, but you also don't want to start too late and stress yourself out either. I don't know how intelligent you are or how much content you've covered already so I think only you can be the judge of that :wink:

Good luck! It'll be all over soon :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi! I'm in Year 11 too and at the moment I'm really doing just light revision and I mean an hour max. When it gets closer to exam time, it will be very easy to get burnt out and it's important to keep your body strong. Make sure that if you have mocks, you are revising though, because they can be pretty important for colleges and can help you identify areas of weakness.

Quick Reply

Latest