The Student Room Group

Bass Guitar

Hey all,

So I'm going to get a new Bass guitar for University, I do Jazz and make use of every string available to me when improvising,

Should I get a 6 string or 7 string?
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
Hey all,

So I'm going to get a new Bass guitar for University, I do Jazz and make use of every string available to me when improvising,

Should I get a 6 string or 7 string?

[video="youtube;nz8uzuJxufo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz8uzuJxufo[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
A good bassist can do all the things they need with a 4 string :wink:

however, I have a 5 string and tbh I'd say the string spacing is quite a lot to get used to (and the extra string)

I only know a few bassists that use a 6 string and they are from heavy, fast paced prog bands.

Do you think you'll benefit from a 6 string? Low B and high C I'm assuming.

No matter what genre of music I've ever played I don't think I've ever thought I'd benefit from a 6 string bass, but each to their own!
Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p
A good bassist can do all the things they need with a 4 string :wink:

however, I have a 5 string and tbh I'd say the string spacing is quite a lot to get used to (and the extra string)

I only know a few bassists that use a 6 string and they are from heavy, fast paced prog bands.

Do you think you'll benefit from a 6 string? Low B and high C I'm assuming.

No matter what genre of music I've ever played I don't think I've ever thought I'd benefit from a 6 string bass, but each to their own!

Definitely, a couple other bassists have a 5 string with a low B and another has a 5 string with high C and they come in rather useful. I'm also a big metal guy so it would be beneficial for that too.

I already have a 4 string so I'm sorted in that department, but great input, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest